Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 10-18-2003, 03:03 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Kitchen stove????

hi, need to purchase a kitchen stove - looking at a smooth top model with convection oven from General Electric. (Profile model) Yep, it is pricey...so I want to know if there is any feedback on smooth top (good, bad and the ugly) and convections feature...(how do you modify recipes etc.)
My current stove is an oldie - no features, not even self clean - so this will be a big change for me as I cook/bake daily and then some :p THanks for any help!
Old 11-08-2003, 09:03 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Just don't buy an AMANA!

In my opinion and experience, they don't stand behind their products.
Old 11-08-2003, 09:29 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi! I love to bake and cook also. The smooth tops are great because the burners do not break with of the weight of the food on the stove. I have gone through 2 stoves with the traditional burners and hate them. I also cook for 12 to 50 people at a time so my next stove is deffinitely going to be a smooth top with a very big convection oven. LOL!! The convection oven works just like your regular oven. I used the convection in culinary arts school. The difference is the heating comes from the back of the oven and gets to all the places in the oven; where as the traditional oven heats from the bottom. You do not need to change the recipes except checking for doneness earlier. I say Buy It!!!! And enjoy it!!!
Old 11-08-2003, 02:18 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

new stove

I have a smooth top stove that I have had for 4 years and I LOVE it !!!! I would not go back to a traditional stove. They are very easy to keep clean and cook terrificly. Mine just has a regular oven so I can't advise on that but the smooth top is the way to go.
iris
Old 11-08-2003, 03:50 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I'm not a real fan of the smooth top. I have a set of cast iron that I refuse to give up (I have 18/10 cookware that I use mostly). The cast iron is NOT recommended for smooth tops and I found out why. I have a couple of burners that are now black in spots and I am guessing it's because the cast iron gets so hot. We will remodel our kitchen in the near future and I want to look for ovens without smooth tops.

Jayne

Editor of FREE Penny Pincher freebie newsletter:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LOLPennyPincher/

Subscribe: [email protected]

Special Member of the Family
Become an Honorary Member

Old 11-08-2003, 04:09 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I would LOVE a gas stove but unfortunately we're all electric. I do have the self clean and woudn't be without it. I detest cleaning ovens so whatever kind/brand we replace with it will have that feature!

I too like GE brand appliances. I have GE washer and dryer and love those things. They are 14 years old and going strong. The pair before them were GE as well and only got replaced because they spent 3 years in storage while we were stationed in Germany and had problems a couple of years after starting to re-use them. Those were 13 years old when we replaced them.

Jayne

Editor of FREE Penny Pincher freebie newsletter:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LOLPennyPincher/

Subscribe: [email protected]

Special Member of the Family
Become an Honorary Member

Old 11-08-2003, 04:25 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

We just bought a new stove... we have a sears kenmore electric, with self clean feature, simmer feature and warm drawer.

I do a LOT of baking and cooking with a lot of pots and pans. I tend to drag pots....and we spoke to the salesman in the Appliance dept. He said, if you just heat and eat... and don't do pot dragging like you do, and don't use cast iron, which I do, then a smooth top is ok for you.

I will NOT give up my cast iron.

My preference would have been a dual fuel stove, gas burners with electric self clean oven. These are in the 2-3000 dollar range. I'll have to wait a while...*chuckle*

However, if you are a heavy duty user, I don't recommend it.

My DIL has a smooth top.. she rarely cooks... she loves it
My sister has one too, she rarely cooks....she loves it
My other friend is a heavy duty cook, and she has one, she hates it. She had to replace the top...very expensive to do.

I really wanted a professional type stove... but right now isn't the time... so .....for now, I have one that is really neat....It's a Kenmore and I am very very pleased with it.

Convection ovens are used in restaurants and you do have to convert recipes..... to me it isn't worth it, if you are only going to use that feature once or twice a year.

Shawn ... I had a Whirlpool side by side, loved it... lasted 20 years and still going ...... I have a frigidaire freezer... love it.

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."
Old 11-10-2003, 07:48 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I have a convection oven and really like it. I don't do a lot of baking and I understand that it is what it is really good for. To cook on convection (you have the choice between regular and convection), you cook 25 degrees cooler than the receipe calls for and for 20% less time. I can cook a pan of corn bread that would take 20 minutes in about 15 and refrigerated biscuits take about 7 minutes! I think cakes come out much nicer also. One thing it doesn't do well is pizza -- the crust seems to burn. Just for myself, I haven't found using it for other items (meat loaf, french fries) to be much of an advantage. Though lately I have been baking with convection for these items and leaving it on the called for temp if I'm in a bit of a hurry. While I could live without the convection oven -- I'd be sorry to give it up if I had to. Hope this helps!
Old 11-10-2003, 09:41 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

GE Stove

I have a GE stove similar to Shawn's. I had an electric stove many years ago and couldn't work it. All I could feed my husband was "burnt offerings". We don't have natural gas in our area, so I have to get LP just for the stove, but I wouldn't go back to electric. It is so much easier to regulate the temperature with the gas.
Old 11-10-2003, 10:02 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Last summer I bought a new fridge and stove from Fridgidare. They are great! I got the smooth top and love it. It heats up so fast. I have the convection oven and that works great on nights when we get home late. Just make sure to buy the special clener and use it! I have seen some stoves that people didn't and they get pitted.