Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 11-10-2003, 10:23 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Stove

We've used a flat-top stove and a regular electric burner stove. We like the regular electrice burner stove better. The flat-top got scratched a lot. We couldn't use our cast iron pans very well on it because I would scratch the surface when trying to lift off or slide off the heavy pan. For some reason the model we had didn't accommodate large pans very well either. We had a center vent that also fitted a grill attachment, so the center vent took up space that was needed to fit a large pan. The whole top had a lipped edge that also prevented us from fitting large pans and adjusting them to where they needed to get hotter. The second time around, my husband said to stick with the regular burners.
Old 11-11-2003, 03:33 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Goria, I have the GE Profile with white flat top and convection oven! It was expensive (though I thought I got a good deal on it at Sears) but I love it and feel it is worth it! Besides it was the cheapest of any stove I found that would fit in my kitchen plus I wanted a flat top. I have to admit it took me a little while to get used to it...in fact I made them come and pick up the first one and bring me another one! LOL Actually I think now it was just me not being used to it. I've had this one a year now and I am really enjoying it. I keep learning new things about it and new tricks to getting the best use out of it. It's really a fun stove to use. There are a few things I don't care for. They are:
1. The digital settings can be turned off very easily by someone leaning or accidentally touching the display.
2. The alarm isn't very loud. I sometimes don't hear it if I am in another room.
3. I now have a drip stain down the front of the oven door that is inside between the glass so the only way it can be removed is to take the door apart...a pretty big job. I hang a towel there so it isn't really very noticeable to anyone but me, but it does kinda bug me!
4. Occasionally I don't feel it browns evenly. Not sure why and most of the time it isn't an issue so maybe it is not the stove.

Other than these things, I really love this range! Just be aware if you are used to an older model, there will probably be a learning period to get through.

BTW, I love the flat top...my first. I love not having to remove the burner thingies and cleaning them all out etc. Now I just wait til it is cool and then wipe it off. Sometimes I do have to rub pretty hard but it's still less work than my old stove top. I do use a (generic) flat top stove cleaner but I only use a little bit and it lasts a long time. Very rarely, when I make something like candy, I will have to take a razor blade (I use it in a holder for safety) and scrape off the sugar drips that can stick to range top. I have had no trouble with scratches or cracks etc. It still looks beautiful! I prefer the white top to black as the black tops can show smudges from what I have seen in other's homes.

Get the range that seems best to you as you are the one that will be cooking on it, but wanted you to know my experience.
Mary
Old 11-11-2003, 05:27 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Pinkie Winky Stove & Fridge

I have a bottom freezer Kenmore refridgerator and love it. Actually it is more energy efficent than the top freezer because the warm air rises and the coldest air sinks to the bottom where needed. Our costs are lower anyhow. I have a 2 yr old gas stove/oven that is by Premier Pro Series. It is 36 in wide and has a x-tra lg oven (regular not convection) and 6 cast iron burners. I love it . I wanted a "restauraunt" type stove because I cook/bake & can alot. This was a great compromise. To have a real restauraunt stove there are so many regulations and safety issues because of the intense heat put out. They also are about $4000.00 plus a couple more for all the other nodifications and venting required. Mine was $1000.00 and I could use my exhisting vent. . Lisa
Old 11-11-2003, 07:40 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Lisa, glad you mentioned the bottom freezer fridge. I have been thinking that next time I buy a fridge, I might get one of those. Good to know that you like yours.
Old 11-13-2003, 10:47 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Pinkie Winky

I have really enjoyed all of the discussion, regarding the smooth top stoves. I have *played* with the idea, myself...but, have found amongst my friends, that those who have them, are not that over-all pleased.

One thing, that I would really like to mention is...that I learned to cook on a *gas stove* and when I moved to Georgia in 1984, I HAD to learn how to *re-cook*, since only electric stoves where available to me. That doesn't mean, that there are NO *gas stoves*, in Georgia, just that I happened to live in areas, where *gas* was not available.

Bottom line, it took me literally years, [I would honestly say about a good 5 years, even more,] to really get the *knack* of how to cook with electric. BUT...there is ONE thing, that I really LOVE about an electric stove...

the control knobs are on the back top, of the stove!!!

Why, I even mention this...is that should there be a lot of small children around, I think this is a wonderful *safety factor*.

All *gas stoves* have the control knobs, right up front, when little hands can reach, without much difficulty. Ovens can be turn on, and while most of today's *gas stove/ovens* have electric ignitors, just let one go out and you have an open *gas* flow. I did have a *gas stove* with the ignitors, and the ignitor element did go out, so I had to light my top burners, with a match, until I could get it fixed.

I do realize that the above scenerio is not common...but, it is something to consider. I may be 60 years old, but I have 8 grandkids ranging from 21 years to 5 months, so, that is a factor, that I would take into great consideration.

Now, that is just my thoughts, on the subject and I want to thank ALL of you, for a very interesting and lively discussion.

"The Truth is out there...
Can anyone give me the URL???!!!"
Old 11-16-2003, 05:33 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I purchased a flat top range this Spring when my old range finally died. (Couldn't get parts for it to have it repaired).

It has been worth every penny.

It has convection cooking, cuts cook time at least in half. It has a warming burner on top, which also works nicely if you want to put a candle on the burner, it's like having a built in potpourri warmer. One of the burners can be used a 6 or 8 inches. It's made by Frigidaire, and I bought it at Lowes.

They delivered for a minimal charge. They took out my old one, installed the new one, and took the old one away.

It's been the best appliance purchase I have ever made. No more cleaning burner elements, grease dripping through, etc etc.

If you get the flat top range, you will not regret it!
Old 11-16-2003, 06:22 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

krzy4cats,
Sounds like we have exactly the same stove!!!! Mine is black. I bought the biggest black fridge also about 3 months before I got my stove. I love it! I will have to try the candle thing. I love the way scented candles make the house smell.
Smiles,
Old 11-17-2003, 01:58 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

stove purchase

Well, thankyou ladies! I purchased the GE stove with convection and smooth top. I am NOT sorry. Baking/cooking is enjoyable again!!! (Well, as enjoyable as cooking can be :p ) Actually, I love puttering around my kitchen etc. Thanks for all the advice and tips....by the way, how would you do the candle thing? My stove does have a separate warming burner....is this safe?
After 20 years, I finally am baking chocolate chip cookies that are perfect!
Thanks again!