Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 05-21-2003, 11:41 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Our Sony Mavica cost $400 CANADIAN...not sure what it is in the US
Old 05-21-2003, 11:48 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

digital camera

Sony Mavicas run in the hundreds depending on what model. I have a floppy mavica which is terrific, especially for a mac with no usb that most digitals have now. I have taken thousands of pictures with it and it is terrific. I am about to upgrade now to a cd mavica, better quality but costly. I would definitely recommend checking the mavica series out.
Old 05-21-2003, 12:18 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

PRice vs Performance vs Brand Reliability = good answer...

This is my first post here... I figured I would post on a subject I know very very well for my first shot!

First, to qualify this post a little bit- I am the daughter of a former professional photojournalist, niece of an award winning nature photographer and an amatuer art and photojournalistic digital photographer myself... And.. I work at a computer store AND am a Digital Media major in college.... sooo.. I dont know if that affects your opinion of my camera choices and all, but hey, figured yall should know I know a little bout this stuff.
The main things you are looking for when shopping for a digital camera are: Megapixels and OPTICAL zoom. The higher the number on either of these, the better. The higher the megapixel, the bigger you can print the picture without losing quality. Also, if you were cropping a picture, and you only wanted a small portion of the picture, the higher megapixel will allow you to have a clearer image after zooming in or cropping bug chunks out.
Optical zoom is the zoomin that is actually done by the lens- not digitally. This gives you a higher quality when zooming in than the digital.

That said, another factor to consider is battery life. Some brands hav a tendancy to "Eat" batteries for lunch. Olympus is known for this-- I know this first hand from experience. I have an Olympus C-3000. It's a great camera, but I had to buy NiMH rechargables because I was going through batteries so quickly.
The cameras I would reccomend from my own research and from reviews and feedback from the store would be:

Nikon Coolpix 2500 ($269- and Nikon has a rebate running right now)
Nikon Coolpix 4300 ($495-ish) and 4500 ($599-649)
---highest quality photos, most reasonable price, best lenses, best features for price.

Canon Digital Elph
---- excellent battery life, decent prices, VERY VERY small in size.

Cameras from experience and reviews and feedback from the store that I would NOT reccomend:
Kodak anything---We get more returns and complaints on Kodak cameras than any other. They are the most difficult to get a good picture with and have a very high failure/bad out of box rate. I believe that HP cameras are also made by Kodak, by the way.
The optics in the lense that htey use seems to be questionable, and the lag between the time you push the buttona dn the actual picture is taken is REALLY bad. I did read on this thread that someone was quite happy with their Kodak- which I am happy to hear, but also very suprised....

I hope this helps someone and I also hope I didnt sound like a long winded know-it-all......
Old 05-21-2003, 12:23 PM
FamilyCorner Junkie
FamilyCorner Junkie

Welcome to the "family" Kelly.

Earlier I posted that my son has the Kodak camera, currently he wants to upgrade - this is a good starter camera. He has it on Ebay now for sale.

So your info Kelly is very helpful. Thanks.
Old 05-21-2003, 01:16 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Digital camera comparisons

Kelly- Great info on the digital cameras! I hope I can also ask you a question...can I ask your opinion on the Sony mavica Series cameras? I currenty have a FD and the pixels are miniscule, which is why I need to upgrade. But I have computer issues so I need to look at a versatile camera, which is what leads me to the cd versions (CD-400 is what I am considering). As a photographer how does that rate?

If it is easier, feel free to email me at [email protected], I would love to get your input on this stuff!! Thanks!
Old 05-21-2003, 01:16 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

The HP photosmart 318 is a good basic camera - around 150.00 to purchase. The only thing I would warn you about is that the window (screen on the back)gets terribly scratched with just regular normal use...and the company won't warranty it...
Old 05-21-2003, 03:19 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi-
We purchased our Olympus digital camera about 1-1/2 years ago and we love it. My husband uses it for work and we also take photos to send to family and friends. Our model is outdated now but when before I bought it, I went to www.epinions.com which is a great site for any electronic purchase. It is a site where people evaluate such things as cameras, VCR's, computers, etc. which they have purchased themselves and talk about the pluses and minuses. Everyone who had purchased the model we purchased liked it. There were some disclaimers, but as those did not effect how we planned to use it, it didn't matter.
Old 05-21-2003, 06:45 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

to kelly

wow, i am glad i got a good camera (nikon 2500) I had no clue about cameras when i went to buy one and the guy there told me everything you just said...i chose the nikon cos' it had the highest megapixels and zoom for the price and i absolutly love it, the only thing i don't like on it (like i said before) is the fact that it doesn't have an eye hole for when your outside, i just take 3-4 pics when i'm outside and check to see if they turned out ok when i return back inside...fortunalty the pics outside turned out wonderfully...and not to mention the pics...they are wonderful! the quality on them are outstanding...i like how you can change what type you want for printing or just on computer...i haven't printed any out yet, so i just use the smallest pixels possible, i can take up to 60 pics on one disk thingy, and it takes 15 second movies which is just cool...
Old 05-21-2003, 07:05 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I have an Olympus D510. I've had it for about a year, bought it refurbished so it came with lots of extras (rechargeable batteries & charger, plus an extra 64MB memory card).

Its 2.1 megapixels, don't remember the optical zoom on it, think its 3x. It takes great pictures for amateur photography. (Well I've actually used it on a couple of professional shots for small merchandise in ads.) The color is good, but Canon cameras are said to be better.

I use it for family stuff, lite work stuff and ebay. Its easy enough to use that an 8-year old can handle it (or even a 45 years old man). I had the option of getting it or the C700 for the same price, but chose the one I did because I wanted a "purse size" camera. One of the best features when I bought it was the USB auto-connect. A lot of other cameras have this feature now, but a year ago they didn't. Basically, when you hook this puppy up to your computer (Mac or Windows) it shows up as a disk on your desktop. You can drag the images to whatever directory you want to store them in. No separate software is necessary to download, a real plus if you've ever had to go through the "acquire" menus--too many extra steps.

I've also recently had the pleasure of using a Sony SC-F717 at work. WOW! I was shooting shoes from a distance of about 4 feet and using the zoom (5x optical) I got pictures so clear (5 megapixels) I could see the filaments in the stitching thread. Color was excellent, too. Plus it popped up on my desktop as a disk, which saved me time. Too bad I don't have the spare $$ to replace my Olympus!

For more camera reviews and specs see:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs.asp
Old 05-22-2003, 04:10 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Exclamation Buyer Beware

My MIL bought me an HP 315 2 years ago, she paid around $350 for it .... it takes excellent pictures, although it doesn't have the zoom. I bought a photo printer and the pictures are awesome, but this past Christmas, someone dropped my camera and now the flash won't work. I called HP to see what I could do and of course, the warranty expired after a year so they said they could repair it.... for $300! So I called different camera repair stores in my area and they can't even repair these cameras because HP won't make their parts available to anyone.
So now, I either can only use my camera outside during the day or I can pay $300 for some crappy repair or have to buy a whole new camera. Personally, I think it stinks! :mad:

Keep your words soft and tender as you may have to eat them tomorrow!