Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 02-25-2003, 08:02 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I just read an article in Reader's Digest, where they purchased some of the more popular info-mercial products and the pasta pot was one of them. It was tested by workers at RD and all found it easy to use and convenient, but most commented on the fact that it seems silly to spend the money when they never had a problem draining their pasta before the pot. It's a convenience item, though I think most of the info-mercial stuff is. So, it's a personal call. Those that were tested worked fine.

Old 02-25-2003, 09:29 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I ended up buying a pasta pot (Lá Pasta Pot) yesterday, on sale, for under $14. It came with a big and little pot. There was a learning curve to getting the locking lid to work, but the handles stayed cooler than the pot I had been using to cook pasta in. For me, it was worth it....my colander always tips over in the sink and the pasta spills out. The quality isn't terrific, but they seem fine just to cook spaghetti in. I'll have to watch it and see how the nonstick lining holds up, since more than one of you mentioned something about that.
Old 02-25-2003, 04:31 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

pasta pots

I wanted one of those pots too....BUT after seeing it in a store simular to the one on TV....made of like steal...the red one!!! it seemed to be chipped BEFORE it left the store!!!! too bad that cant have a medium price one thats good!!!!!!!!!!!
Your friend in NJ
Maureen
Old 02-25-2003, 04:51 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

pasta pots phone number

Hi,

Just to let you know I found the customer service number we can call if you want to return your pots. The number is: 1-800-618-4343. They give you the address to mail it to and also a return number. It says on the site that they will credit your account with the purchase price less the shipping and handling.

I hope this helps,
Kathy
Old 02-25-2003, 07:13 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thanks Kathy and everyone for your help.Too bad I already threw the pot away but I thought at least I could tell everyone what happened to my pot.I will check into one of the "better pots",hopefully they will last a little longer than the one I had.You are all great! Thanks again,

Tina :-)
Old 02-25-2003, 08:55 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hey Tina,
I'm so sorry you had already thrown it away! I wish you could have sent it back and got your money that you paid for it.

I made a mistake about my pasta pot. The inside is doing fine, it's the outside bottom that is rubbing off. I used it the first time and noticed the red paint was coming off the bottom. I used it again this week and I still like using it. Maybe the white one would be better. Hopefully you can find that one and order it.

Kathy

Old 02-27-2003, 07:35 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Pasta Pots

I suspect that if you are patient, the better cookware makers will bring out a version of the very popular pasta pots "as seen on TV."
Old 02-27-2003, 02:51 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Good Housekeeping Institute has gotten involved with these pasta pots. There test facilities are fantastic. I spent a day there when I was in college....

Here is what they had to say about the pasta pots....

Pasta Pots: The Inside Scoop:

Cook, drain and serve perfect pasta -- all in one saucepan! Operators are standing by." You've probably seen those TV infomercials for pots that promise to make pasta cooking even easier. Who knew it was that hard? And do these pots with built-in colanders even work?
To find out, the Good Housekeeping Institute food-appliance pros recently put two new models -- Pasta Pro ($19.95) and the Better Pasta Pot ($19.99) -- to a strain-off test, boiling up various-shaped pasta and comparing the performance of each to a conventional pot and colander.

Bottom line: Don't pour your money down the drain.

The eight-quart steel Better Pasta Pot has an advantage over the smaller Pasta Pro: It holds a pound of pasta with plenty of room for swirling water -- the trick to preventing long strands from sticking together.

Our gripe: The handles don't lock, so you must hold the lid tightly when straining spaghetti.

Pasta Pro, on the other hand, does have a lid-locking system. But be prepared to frequently stir spaghetti in this six-quart pot -- and keep the potholders handy. Despite the manufacturer's video claim of "stay-cool" handles, the Institute found they get too hot for bare hands.

Although both the infomercial pots can also be used to brown and drain ground beef, our pasta lovers prefer the Spazio Pasta Pot from Bialetti. The lid locks securely by sliding into position, it's made of aluminum (so the pot can double as a Dutch oven) and the nonstick coating -- inside and out! -- speeds cleanup. And even though the Spazio Pasta Pot holds just five quarts, we found that its oval shape accommodated spaghetti strands better than larger-capacity round pots. $29.95; available at Target.
Attached Images

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."
Old 02-28-2003, 07:14 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie
FamilyCorner Junkie

I'll keep my old stand bye sink collander!

A good site to file complaints is called planetfeedback.com
Old 03-01-2003, 09:08 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I know this is a bit off topic, but, it is still pasta related.

Recently, a dear lady told me a tip she got from a 'Hell's Angel' who was renting a space from her years ago. He told her to bring your pot of water to a boil, salt, add pasta, and return to a boil (just like usual) Then, instead of continuing to boil, put a lid on the pot, turn the heat off and let stand for 12 minutes, more or less, depending on variety of pasta and how you like it cooked.

I was skeptical, but, I tried it and it works great! I do NOT like al-dente pasta for any reason, so, I usually end up over cooking mine, thus, releasing the starches, and the noodles are sticky and gummy. NOT with this method. I did just as she suggested, tasted the pasta after 12 minutes (it is not hot and steamy by then, either), and I wanted it a little bit more 'done'. I put the lid back on, waited another 2 minutes, then, it was PERFECT!

I found this works with rice, too, by accident. I had just started cooking some rice to make spanish rice when a friend called and said their dog had just attacked their daughter. So, I just turned off the heat of the rice that was cooking, came home two hours later from the hospital, and it was perfect. Have done it this way since then, and it keeps the rice from sticking, too.

I know this is not about the pots, but, I find with this method, I dont need the pots, simply drain as usual, no steam or hot pots.

Be blessed,
Beckie