Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 01-31-2003, 11:05 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
We need to buy a new vacuum--would like to hear some opinions

We are looking to buy a new vacuum but we're completely out of the loop on up-to-date info. We want one that has a bag in it,not bagless---the last time I spent a lot of money on a vacuum, it was bagless and we hated it!

Does anyone have a vacuum that they really like? Please give me some opinions.

Thanks,
Tami

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 02-01-2003, 02:14 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Pinkie Winky

Whatever you don't buy a Eureka! We had one once, and it was in the shop twice ($30+ each time) because it kept breaking down.

We now stick with Hoover. Have never had a problem with this brand. The one we have now, we've had about 5 years. I have 2 boys, 2 cats, and a bunny - and I'm a neatnik, so I vacuum all the time.

Good luck!
Melanie
Old 02-01-2003, 02:31 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I feel the same way about the bagless. Those cups don't hold much & emptying it all the time was a dirty hassle. I had one that I paid about $160 for. I only used it about 10 times b4 something broke & we returned it. I then went with the Kenmore upright. I don't know a model name or number but it says 12 amp. I think is was only a little more expensive. It has been just great. I have allergies & this one (as well as the bagless that I didn't like) has an allergy filter. This one works well & I don't sneeze or wheeze when I vacuum. It is also easy to change the bag & has the tools on board. I guess that's all I can think to say about it now. I have bought several different Kenmore products & they have all been good.
Old 02-01-2003, 02:39 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Actually, I have a Hoover that I have had for 16 years that was great. I had to take it in to be repaired once...after it was about 10 yrs old...the repair man told me that it was a good vaccum cleaner. And, it is just now in need of repair...or retire. I also like the Kirby vaccum's...but wouldn't pay a new price...I'd get a good used one. I have an OLD Kirby that I also use that does pretty good. I grew up using a Kirby.

What is it about the bagless that yall hate? The new ones advertised on tv look great. The thing I hate about vaccums that use bags, is that unless the bag is pretty empty, it seems like you don't get the performance. I have actually thought about trying a bagless...give me the scoop. Don't want to waste my money.
mommy to India, Taylor and Trinity
Old 02-01-2003, 03:18 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I have a Ricar and love it!!! You can only buy them in a vacuum store (vs. a "regular" store). They are a bit more expensive but they last forever!! They have all the tools on board, a long cord, more quiet than most, it gets the edges, uses a bag, has an allergy inhibiting filter, and rarely needs repairs. I think I paid around $300 and that was probably 6 or 7 years ago (at least). You might even go to a vacuum store and try to find one that has been refurbished for less than a new one of a different brand in the store. I know my vacuum store does that. HTH!!!
Old 02-01-2003, 03:33 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I have a Filter Queen and absolutely love it. It doesn't have the traditional bag, however, but it does have a wicked filter system. There are 7 different filters, and I think 5 attachments, and I use all of them. I use my vacum to do carpets, hardwood floors and linouleum, to dust my tables, clean my ceiling fans and ceilings, filter the air in my home, suck up spiders...you name it; this baby can do it! The thing I love the most is the "scent chamber"; a little lid that opens and you can put scented cloths in there that make your home smell nice as you vacum!! I've had this for about 6 years and have never had to have it repaired; and that is including my husband sucking up hot embers from the fire and lighting the vacum on fire!! (He's not allowed to vacum anymore-maybe he did it on purpose!)
The biggest downfall about this vacum is the price. We paid about $1800 for it, and that was after talking the guy down and getting him to throw in a bunch of free stuff. Personally, I would say it is well worth it, but I would never pay it again!!
Hope this helps.

Stacey
Old 02-01-2003, 03:41 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I found a used Dirt Devil at a flea market for $20. It runs rather well and has swivel glide wheels which are great.
Old 02-01-2003, 03:52 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Thanks for all of your opinions.

We are going out this weekend in search for one. I have a feeling it will take me forever to make a decision-unlike DH who will pick something rather fast.....BUT who uses it more?

As far as the bagless goes, it was a MESS to clean out the canister. If you have allergies or are bothered by dust, dont do it!
I also found that this particular brand didnt pick anything up off of heavy carpet either.

I grew up using a Kirby. They are great but beyond my checkbook. I was looking into the Orecks too since Ive heard good things about them but ..... $$$

The long cord and attachments are important to me. We had an old Dirt Devil that came with DH ( hee hee)....he didnt like it but I did. It went away with the bagless.

HHHMMM.....youve given me lots to think about now.

Keep the opinions coming!!

Thanks,
Tami

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 02-01-2003, 04:01 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

My sweeper of choice

My sweeper of choice is a ShopVac. I have all hard wood floors and this is the best and most inexpensive solution to my sweeping needs.
E-Ma to 3

Look to the future, because that is where you'll spend the rest of your life. ~ George Burns ~
Old 02-01-2003, 04:18 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

new vacuum

I too would like to know the major gripes about the bagless ones. They really seem to be popular, and the ones with bags ALL USE DIFFERENT ONES! At any rate, I agree about the Kirby, I bought one, reconditioned, about 18 years ago, and they are good, but so darn heavy! Now that I am past fifty the darn thing wears me out.