Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 02-01-2003, 04:58 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Stacey - your story about your dh is cute. I think they do some of that stuff on purpose, but a fire is a little much! Your filter Queen sounds like a Rainbow vacuum a friend had. It could be used as a shampooer also, but about $2000.

About the bagless... mine was a small cup that needed emptying often, at least once or twice each time used. This was messy & bothered my allergies.
Old 02-01-2003, 05:56 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Vaccum

I have a Rainbow by RexAir and would not trade it for the world! I purchased it new in 1986 for about $1000 , I do the routine cleaning myself and had to replace the power head a couple of years ago. It has a water bowl that catches all the dirt and debis and NEVER spews dust like so many bag-types do. You can use scented oils in the water and make your house smell yummy.
You can buy used ones at most vaccum stores and I've seen them for around $300 in garage sales. Even one that is as old as mine is worth picking up used. It also has attachments for carpet shampooing and the regular attachments most come with.I've used it for every cleaning use imaginable including cleaning up a spilled gallon of paint from my living room carpet, then washing out the bowl and shampooing said carpet! I will never buy any other kind.
Old 02-01-2003, 06:01 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Lightbulb

We used to have a Rainbow vacuum. It was the best we've ever owned. We've also owned a Kirby. Rainbow is still better in my opinion. We have a lot of allergies and 2 of our kids have asthma. With the Rainbow, the dirt goes right into a water basin that you empty after every use. You don't have any dust coming out, ever. Also, I've NEVER clogged the hose. We now have a house that has a central vacuum. I hate it. It clogs constantly! Not only in the hose. It also clogs in the pipe that runs through the house. If you suck something up you shouldn't, you have to figure out where in the pipe it is. We traded the family we bought our house from, our Rainbow (I didn't know how terrible the central vacuum was - they promised it worked great) for their refrigerator. Boy, was that a mistake. I miss my Rainbow!
Old 02-01-2003, 06:25 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I had an Electrolux for years, and hated it. I tried a bagless from QVC, but didn't like it either. I friend of mine bought a Kenmore Progressive Whisper Quiet 120 amp canister vac. She demoed it for me, and I went out and bought one the next day. I absolutely love it!! The cord is long, and it has a push button retractor (no more winding), all the attachments are on board, and the handle detaches easily, as does the hose. It came with a Power Mate Jr. that attaches to the hose, which does an awesome job on steps. I was tired of chasing Cheerios around my tile floor, and I have to say this one gets them every time. The first time I used it, it picked up an artificial Christmas tree "needle" from next to the baseboard. I was in love. The nice thing about this vac (one of many) is that the shaft is adjustable - so my 10 year old can use it as easily as my 6'4" husband. I think this vac retailed for about $450, but I got in on sale, and had a coupon, so it wasn't so bad. Definitely worth every penny. Oh, yes, it has a HEPA filter on it, and it goes flat so I can get under my beds, and the shaft works great for getting behind the bed (I, too, have a dust allergy). The attachments are great for dusting mini blinds and the pleated shades on our bedside lamps.

Good luck!
Old 02-01-2003, 08:13 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Msinwind, the old Kirby's were very heavy and hard to push. We bought a Kirby last year and I love it. It is so easy to push. (It is still heavy if you try to lift it, but I seldom do.) It is almost like a self propelled vaccuum. It takes almost no effort to push and works great. We have allergies and asthma and it has helped. It does not spew out dust and dirt. They are expensive, but they last forever and are worth every penny that we paid!
Old 02-01-2003, 08:52 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I have a Hoover Elite which I purchased from Sears almost 10 years ago for $120. It still works. It's noisy and makes a lot of clanging sounds, but it does it's job!

About a year or so ago, I figured it was about time I replaced my old Hoover, so I bought a Fantom Cyclone XT, a more modern bagless vacuum cleaner which I saw on an infomercial, at the "amazing low price" of $230! It looked so easy to use on tv. I tried it as soon as it arrived. I hated it! It was heavy, and its very wide base made it difficult to maneuver around furniture and through tight spaces. Emptying the collection bin is an extremely messy task and you can never get all of the dust and dirt out of it completely, even if you washed it out (who has time to do that anyway?), and so you always see this residue of dust lining the bin (the bin is see-through). I gave it more than several tries and I just couldn't stand it. Plus, it just didn't do as good a job as my Hoover.

Needless to say, I went back to using my cheap old clunky Hoover, which still runs pretty well.
Old 02-01-2003, 10:19 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

OMG, I have had so many vacuums the last few years!

We bought new carpet so I decided I needed a new vacuum. Well, I'm standing in the bedroom one day using the stupid thing with the hose to clean the return vent and when I move it, there is a big burn spot where it melted my NEW carpet. Then I remember that I saw something similar by the back door that I never could figure out and I went and looked and realized it was the same thing, just not as bad. I don't remember the vacuum brand for sure, but I think it was a Eureka.

I wouldn't use that one anymore so we returned it and I thought maybe if I spend more money I'll get better and I didn't want to mess with bags either. Sooo, I spent almost $200 on a Dirt Devil bagless vacuum. The second week I had it, the top broke on it and would just flop over backwards if I did't lock it in good. Then it started smelling like burnt belt all the time but when I would check it there was nothing wrong with the belt. Every time I would use the hose the stupid thing would tip over unless you went out of your way to take this little hook on the hose and hook it to the vacuum. I don't know how many times I got hit in the back by it or how many times it hit the wall falling over. I will NEVER buy bagless again. Really, changing the bag is not that big a deal. Trying to dump all that dirt and dust out of the bagless is a pain. I'd end up with it all over me and everywhere else and would still not get it all out.

Three weeks ago I had it with that Dirt Devil and I told my husband to stop on the way home at Lowes and buy the cheapest vacuum that they had. It cost about $80 and has a bag and I LOVE it! lol It actually has so much suction you can see and feel it pulling on the carpet. It's a Hoover with a removable tool rack. The only thing I don't like about it is the hose and the cord are too short for me. That was the ONLY thing I liked about the Dirt Devil. It had a long cord and hose and the hose stretched way out.
Old 02-02-2003, 03:14 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

vacuums

I missed my chance to buy a vacuum for my 22 yr. old son for Christmas. so now I am working on birthday. I had cut a page out of the Real Simple magazine months ago that says this...
GOOD
Bissell Powerglide Ultra $100 to $109
Pros- lightweight, can get under beds, onboard attachments, bag won't spill when removed if it isn't chock-full, 35 ft. cord.
Cons- very loud, on bare floors little bits of debris may need to be picked up with the relatively short 8 ft hose. Bags $10 for 2.
Warranty: limited 2 year repair or replacement of defective or malfuntioning parts. bissell .com or 800-237-7691 for store locations

BETTER
Dirt Devil Platinum Force Bagless $180
Pros- hepa filter, stronger suction than most others tested. The brush roller for carpets can be turned off for bare floors. Thrify two foot cord
Cons- Too heavy to lug upstairs, the $25 filter should be replaced annually, and the dirt bin's design allows dust to escape during emptying if the bin is too full.
Warranty: 4 years for parts; six years for the motor. dirtdevil.com or 800-321-1134 for store locations

BEST
Dyson DC07 $400 to $460
Pros-Debris is sucked away with one stroke, an automatic pile height adjustment makes changing surfaces a no-brainer, comes in steel/yellow, scarlet/purple and lavender/steel, can empty the the dust bin w/o touching contents, hose is 17 ft, cord is 35 ft.
Cons- too heavy to carry up and down stairs.
Warranty: 2yrs, they will pick up, repair and return within approx 7 days. After 2 yrs, will do the same for a fee.
To buy: dyson.com or 866-693-9766 for store locations

Hope this helps someone. I have really enjoyed the info here, as I don't know wether to buy me one and give him my old dirt devil or just get him a cheaper one that he can suck up everything on the floor like he does with mine. My mother always tells me, you get what you pay for, but I'm not sure how well he will take care of one. (sounds like I'm the one getting the new one??)
Thanks ladies!
Old 02-02-2003, 03:22 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Good Morning

After reading zillions of reviews last night, I have 6 different vacuums written down to look at. The Bissel Powerglide and the Hoover with the removable tool rack got rave reviews on different sites while the Dysons ( which I hadnt heard of) got mixed reviews from companys and horrible reviews from so many women who have bought them.

Ill report my finding tonight. Wish me luck!!

Tami

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 02-02-2003, 04:01 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Vaccuum cleaners

I have tried them all. Hoover, Kenmore, Eureka, Rainbow, Electolux, Oreck and Kirby. I loved the Kirby; it was expensive when we bought it, but it came with attachments for everything. The pickup was great, the best of any I tried. The thing I didn't like about it was that it was so heavy. I got rid of it and bought a Rainbow. (Great Salesman; Big Bucks) I hated it almost from the beginning. I think they require too much maintenance, cleanup when you are finished vaccuuming. I couldn't get rid of that fast enough. I gave it away, because i felt 50 cents for it would be an overcharge! I then went to Oreck, which was light, pickup only mediocre, and always getting stuffed up in the hose at the base of the vaccuum. It only lasted about 4 years. Then I decided I would buy a cheap vaccumm once a year and throw the old one out. I think cheap $50-60) ones are good with out much trouble for about a year. I did that for several years. I begin to think about the good job my old Heavy Kirby did, and decided I wanted a Kirby again. The price is high. I checked EBay and bought a used one for $75 including shipping. They are much lighter now and are almost self-propelled. You can really see the difference with a KIRBY. I am convinced they are the best!!!!!!!