Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 10-09-2002, 07:36 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Printers for Computers

I have been looking for a new printer and I am looking for some advice. Are there any great ones out there? Any I should stay away from?

I use my printer alot to print out text, cards, labels, t-shirt transfers etc. Sometimes the playback for the colors aren't the greatest, do you have any tips?

janet
Old 10-10-2002, 12:28 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I hope this helps, we had a HP 970 for the llongest time and loved it. Now we have an HP All in One and love that more.

We also had a Lexmark that seemed just as good too.
Old 10-10-2002, 04:25 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I've been looking into them too. There are two HP printers that look good that are under $100. If you want to get a really good laser printer - the Samsung ML-something (sorry don't know the model) is the best one out there right now. It's in the $200 range.

HP Deskjet 3420 at Office Depot is $79.99 -- but it's USB port only (not parallel, so you won't be able to use it with older machines.) MAKE SURE you double check - it'll say on the box. If you have an older machine that only accepts parallel cables, you'll end up having to take the machine back. Also some don't come with cables - even the USB ones. It's stingy. But you'll have to check that too so you don't end up running back to the store for a cable. The HP DJ 3820 is both parallel and USB. It's $99.99.

Go to Amazon.com and look in the printer area. You can see what people are buying and their reviews. Lexmarks are ok, but SUCK up ink big time. So do some of the HPs and other printers.

Also you can check CNet.com -- they have some writeups on printers.
Old 10-12-2002, 12:27 PM
Froggy
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hewlett Packard

I have a Hewlett Packard Photo Smart P 1000 and I love it, love it, love it. I print a lot of photos and it is wonderful. I've had it for almost 3 years and have never had any problems with it. Will get another Hewlett Packard when this one breaks.
Old 10-12-2002, 01:13 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Before you decide, check into the cost of the ink cartridges. Some of them are so very expensive.

I have a Canon BJC-6000 and have been very happy with it. It was very cheap at Best Buy because they were getting the new models in. Look for deals like that.

Now I buy my ink at inksell.com, which was recommended by our local TV station, and the "price is right."
Old 10-12-2002, 05:35 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Right now I'm using a HP PSC 500 All-In-One machine but the inkjet cartridges are very expensive. To make things worse, HP won't let anyone manufacture generic cartridges for their printers. Recently I read about the Epson C-60 printer that only costs $59.95 on sale (I just saw it for $49.95 now) and bought one but haven't had time to set it up yet. From reviews, it makes near-photo quality prints and is also faster than most printers. And the cartridges can be ordered (generic) on the internet for the Epson C-60 for only $8.95 for the black and $10.95 for the color at 411inkjets.com and the shipping is only $2.95 (free if the order is over $39). I tried a small 'test order' of 2 cartridges and they said that I would receive them in 4-5 days. They were in my mailbox in 3! Happy printing!

Last edited by Bob; 10-13-2002 at 05:14 AM.
Old 10-12-2002, 07:17 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Printers

I would never buy a Lexmark! When I got my computer several years ago, the Lexmark came with it and I never liked it! Then, it died on me, and my hubby, who knows zilch about computers, bought me another for Christmas, and it was another Lexmark. I was dissapointed, but kept it so I wounldn't hurt his feelings. I had only used it a short time and began having problems with it! So, I am already looking into other printers...one that is fast and isn't an 'ink hog'; and best of all, reasonable price. HELP! Also, like someone else mentioned, they really suck up the ink and in my opinion, they are so slow! My son has a HP, loves it, and it is so fast.

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
Phillipians 4:13
Old 10-12-2002, 08:01 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Have you tried looking on www.epinions.com ? I've used this site for tons of things. Basically its a "consumer reports" kind of thing only its free.
Old 10-13-2002, 04:41 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I think probably all these deskjets pretty much suck up ink right now. HP is the leader in the printer industry. Businesses use only their printers because they are long lasting and have little support issues.

I too saw the cheap price of the Lexmark but was turned off by it's non-HP name. But I said, "Let me be fair" and I did some research...like hapiladi said, they just don't seem to be worth it. You'll pay a lot for replacement inks and there are more problematic issues.
Old 10-13-2002, 05:02 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Thank you to everyone for the advice on the printers...I'll check them out and hopefully I can get a new one...maybe for Xmas???
Bob, I am looking for one with qualities to print color photos so I will check out the printer you suggested.I currently have a Cannon BJC-2110, for text printer it is great, and I purchase cartridges 2 color & 2 black for $16.00 shipping and handling included which is great because I use my printer alot.(EZinkjets.com) Someone told me you can purchase different ink to print good quality pictures, any ideas on this????

Have a good day everyone!

janet