Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 10-13-2002, 05:54 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi Janet. Yes, it sounds like the Epson C-60 might be worth checking out if you print a lot of photos. The reviews say that it rivals the strictly photo printers that are selling for $800 for sharpness and true color accuracy. Inkjet cartridges cost more than bubblejet for some reason. I think inkjet give a crisper result. FYI, I checked out the prices at ezinkjets.com for the Epson C-60 inkjet cartridges and they are $13.95 each compared to $8.95 black and $10.95 color at 411inkjets.com. One thing about most of these cartridges is that they can't be re-filled. I heard that Epson (and others) are putting a chip in the cartridge now so if you re-fill them the printer won't work. Probably because there is a lot of cheap ink out there and people would blame the poor quality on their printers instead of the real cause - cheap re-fill ink. I've heard of photo inks but never tried them. The regular inks seem to work fine though especially if you use the premium photo paper. Bob

Last edited by Bob; 10-13-2002 at 07:39 AM.
Old 10-13-2002, 07:02 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I have had my computer for 5 years, and have had a Canon printer all that time. I LOVE it, and will always stay with Canon. My DH took my old printer, (he doesn't print as much as I do) and got me a new one (Canon S630). I have had it now for about a year, and have been very pleased with it. (I have been known to print 50-75 sheets a day) I get my ink from "All-ink.com"
which is very reasonable I feel. I have also been very pleased with them. As someone said, be sure and check out the price of ink before purchasing your printer. Our daughter bought a printer, and the ink is outrageous. She is going to sell it and go to Canon. Hope all this helps. Let us know what you end up getting.
Cafe
Old 10-13-2002, 09:32 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

favorite printer

I really love my Canon S600 -- I'm a "virtual assistant" and do a LOT of printing including graphics and photos. The S600 is fast and not an ink hog, and delivers quality print in "draft" mode. My previous was an Epson that did well on photos but was a horrible ink hog. When it died in the middle of an enormous print job I ran out in a panic and got the best I could afford from Best Buy. If my S600 is typical of the entire Canon line, each time a peripheral dies it'll be replaced by one from Canon. Check it out, you won't be sorry.

Love to all --

Gramz
Old 10-14-2002, 04:18 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Pinkie Winky

hi Janet..i have a hp deskjet 841c. i absolutely love it! i got it about a year ago and haven't had any problems with it whatsoever.....trish
Old 10-15-2002, 12:12 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

The reason ink cartridges are so expensive is because that is how the printer companies make their profit - the old "sell them a cheap razor and they'll have to buy the expensive blades" trick. I have used generic Rhinotek brand ink cartridges for an Epson inkjet printer (cartridge ordered at Costco Business Center) and they were just fine. For my Epson at home, I use the ink refill kits advertised on TV, bought at Walgreens, and have had perfect results every time. It cost just under $20 and I'll be able to refill about 12 times at the rate I'm going.

So for me, the new printers with the computer chips in the ink cartridge would be a real deal-breaker. If you only print rarely, the chip still thinks it's time for a new cartridge, based on the date you started using it, even if it's still full!
Old 10-25-2002, 04:38 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Gee, now that I am looking into a new printer...I got a big problem!.....now I want a better computer! lol
you know how people get "car fever"....well I got the other C word...."computer fever" lol

janet
Old 10-26-2002, 05:09 AM
Froggy
FamilyCorner Junkie

Tee hee

Janet, you are too funny. It's like remodeling, you start out just to paint a room and oops, now you need new window treatments, and the carpeting just has to go, and the furniture just doesn't work anymore. lol
Old 10-26-2002, 07:59 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Bought an HP Deskjet 3820

Last week we just bought an HP Deskjet 3820. It was $99 at Office Depot. So far we like the output and quality. HP has online tech support too - it's pretty cool.

If you're looking for a scanner, Office Depot also has the HP Scanjet 2200c for $49.99!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a price! My jaw dropped. It is simple to use and produced a great scan of my son's school picture. I haven't tested it with print yet, but that's coming up this weekend. I'm pretty happy with these purchases.
Old 11-15-2002, 10:49 PM
Nine Year Member

Printers?

Guess I will be looking for a new printer too. Had a paper jam earlier now the machine is not shutting off with the buttons. Have a compaq IJ1200. Up until now was doing great. Tried all kinds of things to get it started even deleted the program. Spent enough time on it tonight ready to go to bed. If I don't get it to work tomorrow will get something else. Thanks for all the advice will check them out.

Sueanne
Old 11-16-2002, 07:56 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Sueanne, I had that happen to my printer once, what I finally ended up doing was to unplug it from the source, let it set for about 30 mins. Plug it back in and the memory rebooted itself. It has been working great since.

janet