Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 09-25-2002, 11:17 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

New washer/dryer suggestions

Hi! We are moving in a couple of weeks and will be buying a new washer and dryer. Does anyone have any suggestions about what kind to buy?

I am interested in the front-load washers because they are supposed to be more energy/water efficient. We also need one that handles large loads, we have a 7 year old daughter and twins on the way so the machines will be getting quite a workout!

Thanks for your help!

Kelli
Old 10-06-2002, 07:44 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Lightbulb

This is just one experience I've had with front loading washers. If you forgot to throw something the load that is in there. you're out of luck! You can't open it up and, toss it in. I had a set when I was overseas, and, it was a Kenmore. And, was glad when we moved to another compound with a standard set!!! Go to a consumers report and, search it out to make your decision.
Good luck!!
Joanie
Old 10-06-2002, 08:13 PM
taffy

I bought a General Electric front loading washer and dryer about a year ago and love it! This was my first experience with it and I am very pleased. I have the model that fits under my kitchen counter like a dishwasher. To put items in after the machine has started. I just pull the knob out and wait a second or two for the suds to settle to the bottom and then I open it and throw whatever needs to be added right in there. Good luck with whichever you choose!

Taffy
Old 10-06-2002, 08:23 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi! I just moved into this new house 3 weeks ago, and just bought a new washer and dryer . We went with the Maytag Performa Super Capacity plus in both the washer and dryer. They are able to do VERY large loads, and are very energy efficient! We did alot of research before we bought, so I feel comfortable recommending these! Good luck! Lexxy
Old 10-07-2002, 05:36 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I just purchased a Whirlpool Duet front loading washer & dryer. I absolutley LOVE THEM. The capacity is much larger & the washing machine is soooo quiet. I did lots of research on the pair due to the much higher price tag on this type of machines. The washer spins the clothes so highly that by the time the washing time is over, they feel almost dry. They have many nice features. I heard you cannot use regular detergent, but that is not true, you can but just don't add as much detergent to the cycle. Best bet is still to get the detergent with the HE --Tide & Wisk are the only ones making this type of low sudsing detergent. The price is a little steep, but the energy you save can make up for it, especially if you have a large family, like me. IIt takes about 2 loads of clothes to wash, compared to probably 3 loads to a top loader. I'm very happy with my pair.
Old 10-07-2002, 05:37 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

We went down this road not too long ago and bought "LG" brand. It hasn't been here in Canada for long but is getting rave reviews with all it's appliances. It is priced the same as the top of the line names but has many many more features that really are enjoyed. They are all digital, SILENT, super efficient and large capacity. Comes in top and front loader. The washer has no agitator, so you get more space for things like comforters and it is a smaller machine on the outside so it 'fits' into smaller spaces. Gee! I should be on commission here! LOL But, it really is the best I have ever had or seen. We now have an LG washer, dryer and I'm looking at a fridge and stove next. 27 years of marriage and appliances are on their last legs! LOL Time for another wedding shower too! I think I need new linens and towels! LOL LOL
Old 10-07-2002, 05:41 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I have the Maytag Neptunes and absolutely recommend them. I have the older style (2 years old) that aren't digital, but the new ones are. Good luck in your decision! Looks like a lot of people are happy with their washers and dryers!
Old 10-07-2002, 07:30 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Front loaders

I looked as the Asco brands and decided against them as the sales rep told me the washer uses only cold water, then heats it independently which takes a long time to do each load. However, in reading the previous posts, it appears that you can get more items in the load so maybe it evens itself out!
Old 10-07-2002, 07:40 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Well, I'm afraid I have something negative to say. My sister had a Maytag. It must have been a year with a bug in the machine. Anyway, she spent plenty for the machine & over $600 in repairs. They say what a great reputation Maytag has, but they were EXTREAMLY unhelpful it this case. This washer was so bad. It sounded like a helecopter. If you closed yourself in the laundry room with is going, it would damage your hearing. Maybe they have fixed the problem, but they sure were not concerend with making it right for this one customer. I will never buy a Maytag.
Sorry to rant.
MKS
John11v5a
Old 10-07-2002, 08:00 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I have to agree with MKS. Friends of ours got a Maytag set from Sears last year and have had nothing but trouble with them. One problem that 4 repairmen told them - (they were complaining about a sour smell coming from the washer) - they told them that this was very common of Maytag. It's the way the tub is built - water & soap splash over the rim - onto the base inside of the machine and form scum and mold. They said they could take it apart and clean it for her but in 3 months they would have to come back and do it again. 1 year later - 14 service calls and no satisfaction - they even replaced the machine twice!!!! They all had problems with them. Now we tease them = are they being "Searsed" or "Maytagged" ??? Either way - they are being punished!!!! Take care when buying a Maytag!
BTW - theirs rattled so loud and so hard that it shimmied across the floor and damaged the wall and a shelf unit beside it!! :mad: