FamilyCorner.com Forums

FamilyCorner.com Forums (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/)
-   Consumer Review Requests (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/consumer-review-requests/)
-   -   Carpet Shampooers (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/consumer-review-requests/3920-carpet-shampooers.html)

Blondie 09-14-2002 04:27 PM

Carpet Shampooers

:daisy: :cat:

Does anyone on FC have a carpet shampooer? I would be interested in your opinions of various makes. I had a Hoover Steamvac, and today I sold it, because I didn't feel the carpet looked as if I had cleaned it in spite of the dirty water I threw out. It had a straight brush on the bottom, and I was interested in getting a machine with the five rotating brushes on the bottom. Today I checked the Hoover with the five brushes, and found they were very soft, so wondered if that would do a good job. I also checked the Bissell Powersteamer Pro, at a little less cost. It has a rotating roller with stiffer bristles on it that I thought might do a better job. It was on sale, and I bought it with the hopes I didn't make a costly mistake. Can anyone give me an opinion on whether this machine will do a good job? Even if you don't think this one will do a good cleaning, tell me anyway, please. --I'd like to be prepared. My dh had a tissy-fit when he learned what I did, even though my money paid for it.

Sueanne 09-14-2002 06:06 PM

Carpet Cleaning

Hi Blondie.... Sounds like you made a good choice have heard alot about them. The main problem most of the time is the type of carpeting you are cleaning. Is it high pile or low? Is it light colored or dark? And the last is how old is it? Sometimes you have to use a traffic lane cleaner first if it is really bad. If the dirt is coming out in the water should make your job easier now. Sueanne:)

Blondie 09-14-2002 09:23 PM

Sueanne--

Thanks for your response. The carpet is about nine years old, a mix of shades of tan with a little brown here and there, and sort of sculptured. It wasn't the most
expensive, and has sort of flattened down from walking on it. There is a more pronounced path from the garage door to the kitchen as careful as the two of us have been. I can make it look a little better with a shampooing, but it still is noticeable that it is a more-used path. I could see a lot of dirt came out by the shade of the water, yet I still wasn't satisfied with the results.
I've been told that the straight brush in the Hoover I had was no better than taking a pail of water, and throwing it on the floor, and sucking it up. I shall find out next Friday when I ry it out for the first time while dh is away, playing bridge, for four hours. It's the best time to do that sort of cleaning job. Thanks again for your response. I'll let you know about the results.

Shawn 09-15-2002 03:13 AM

I have had a few different shampooers but none of them worked well. One was an older Bissell machine. ALhtough it cleaned it never got the carpet dry enough for me (I know they never dry totally).

I actually get my carpets cleaned once a year professionally by Stanley Steemers. I have tried others but they do the best job. Tomorrow I am actually having my carpets and firnitured cleaned at a very reasonable price.

But if you are going to buy a machine, check out Consumer Reports. If you are not a memeber, let me know and I will take a look for you.

Blondie 09-15-2002 01:25 PM

Shawn--

Thanks for your post. I have already bought the Bissell, but it would be nice to know statistics on some machines if you don't mind posting them. As you may have read, I originally intended to get the Hoover with the five rotating brushes, but when I looked at them, and saw how soft they were, wondered if they would do a good job. My daughter has one, and last night she told me it does do a good job. But--I ended up with the Bissell, and will use it this coming Friday. You mentioned the carpet wasn't as dry after using a Bissell. If it does do the job, though, that's what I care about. I always use a couple fans to help drying anyway. So, thanks again for replying.

Blondie 09-20-2002 08:40 PM

BINGO, by golly!!

Sueanne & Shawn---

Today was the day, and boy, do I feel better!! I used the vacuum cleaner (with a new bag) all through the house this morning so I'd have the afternoon just for using the shampooer. I had so much fun with this machine. I went over and over things, and you wouldn't believe the dirty water I threw out. There are just the two of us here, and we go barefoot in the house all the time in hot weather. I have windows open all the time unless air is on, or heat in cool enough weather, and it has to be in the air that comes in. We don't go outside in bare feet, then come in, and we're careful when coming in with shoes on.

Another thing I like about the machine is that when you are through releasing cleaning solution, and just running the machine back and forth without holding the trigger in the handle, it does the job of a vacuum cleaner.--It sucks up excess solution still in the carpet-just like a vacuum cleaner. And the noticeable path from the garage door into the kitchen ----IS GONE!

^^ ^^

Sueanne 09-20-2002 09:55 PM

Glad it worked!

Hi Blondie.... Was waiting to see how you made out. Glad you found a carpet machine that really worked. I have a light beige carpet and I am always cleaning it. Think it is the humidity here in Florida that makes the mold grow. The air conditioner really sucks the air thru the carpets like a filter thats why they get dirty. Nothing like clean carpets to give a home a neat feeling. Makes the house smell so fresh. Keep up the good work. Sueanne:)

Shawn 09-21-2002 03:32 AM

First off, I am sorry it took me so long to get back to you.

I took a look at Consumer Reports and can you believe that they have vacuums but NOT carpet cleaners. That is a bit of a dissappointment,

Sorry I could not help more :(

kasparcat 09-21-2002 07:38 AM

If you have or know someone who has a water conditioner/ softener on their house, try to get some of that water for use in your carpet-cleaning machine. I can't believe what a difference it made.

Rani

nagymom 09-21-2002 08:56 AM

Blondie:

I have the Bissell Pro-Heat that heats the water! I love that thing! We bought it last year in May when our old Hoover quit and have never regretted it. It is soooo simple to use and man is that water drity so we know it's getting some of the dirt at least. We have used it to clean the white upholstery on our dinig room chairs and they were so clean they looked new. That's saying a LOT with 3 grandkids from 7 years to 17 months in the house. (No we weren't being dumb when we bought the white covered chairs. The owners of the last house we bought made us such a great offer that we couldn't refuse, even if white. ^^ )
I doubt that you will ever have reason to regret buying it. If you use Oxyclean you can dump a little in and get even better results.
When we bought our current home, it had been a rental for a while then the owner died, leaving it empty for at least a year. No one made any attempt to clean the berber carpet in the family room in all that time and it looked just awful. I took the Bissell to it and it looked brand new when I was done.

Gotta love something that cleans that well. I like it so much that we just bought a Bissell vacuum a couple of weeks ago. It works great as well and was cheap to buy too.

Jayne--one happy homemaker
AKA