Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 09-23-2002, 11:51 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Carpet Shampooers

I have a Hoover SteamVac with the rotating brushes. I think it is wonderful. We have two cats and two dogs so we shampoo often. Also, the feature of running it just like a vacuum cleaning (with pressing the trigger for more liquid) really does suck a lot of water out. Sometimes I go over the entire area a second time just sucking out the water. However, I do think that occasionally it is necessary to have a professional do the carpets. I think this is true regardless of which type of home carpet shampoo machine you have. Another plus for the Hoover SteamVac is that it is easy to fill and to empty and does not have to be hooked up to a faucet, so you can go anywhere.
Old 09-23-2002, 04:03 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

chuckle

heather--

What kind of steam cleaner has to be hooked up to a faucet??

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Cry, and you cry alone.
Old 09-23-2002, 04:52 PM
Nine Year Member

Works Great!

I am really satisfied with the Hoover. Shows if the carpet machine is picking up dirty water the amber light comes on. When little or no dirty water is being picked up green light comes on. Really picks up the water with ease. Have light beige carpets so will do them often. The whole house really smells fresh now. The best part my DH said he will be doing it. Thanks Blondie for enlightning us on Carpet Cleaning other wise would never went out and bought one. Sueanne
Old 09-23-2002, 04:54 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I happen to have a carpet shampoo machine. The first time I used it I thought it was great. However, the more you use it with shampoo the faster your carpet gets dirty again. I have the Hoover Carpet Shampoo machine. Also there is no way to clean the area from the bottom where the brushes are to where it sucks up the water. The wet lint was stuck all in there and I used a piece of picture hanger wire to try and stick up there to get some of it out.

Anyways let me make a recomendation to you. Invest in a Rainboew Vacuum Machine. They are great!!! They are not shampoo machines, it would replace your regular vacuum. You would be amazed at what a difference it makes from using your regular vacuum to using the Rainbow. New they are very expensive, however you might check with you local vacuum cleaner dealer he might sell refurbished ones or check out Ebay I have seen them on there refurbished for between $300.00 and $400.00. They last forever, my mother has had hers for 12 years and it still works great. I just recently bought a refurbished and I love it. I went ahead and has my carpet cleaned professionally (because I have pets and very very light berber carpet) and then vacuum with my Rainbow and carpet looks great.

The carpet cleaning people told me that if you get berber to wet when you are shampooing the carpet yourself it will cause brown spots along with the shampoo. It is true, which I had previously discovered. After getting my Hoover Shampoo Machine that I was so proud of I had to keep using it every other week because the carpet looked dirty alot (from to much shampooing).

My advice call a professional for a total carpet cleaning and invest in a Rainbow. You will not be disappointed. Also carpet cleaning people told me club soda to get out any stain on your carpet. For pet urine try vingear it should get rid of the smell and the stain.

Keep us informed on what you decide. Good Luck !!!

lcw:p
Old 09-23-2002, 06:19 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Cleaning your Steam Cleaner !!!

I have the hoover steamcleaner and YES you can clean out the part that sucks up the water and traps the lint.
In the book, it says to pour clean water on your linolium floor and suck it up, this will rinse out the dirt, to get the lint out there is a tool you can get for your machine (cost one whole American dollar),
Hanger's are too ridgid and will only cause you to scratch the heck out of the window, this tool is plastic ( try asking where you bought it to see if they carry it, Sears ordered me in one), as for your floor getting dirtier faster, you have to go over your carpet with clean water NO SOAP. They also have the scotch guard that goes on your carpet.

Hope this helps !!!!

LEARN TO WRITE YOUR HURTS IN THE SAND, AND TO CARVE YOUR BENEFITS IN STONE
Old 09-24-2002, 04:23 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

chuckle

emmajmom--

Are you referring to the plastic window (faceplate) on the front of the machine? If so, I didn't need a special tool to clean out the lint trapped in there. There are three screws holding it on--two near the brush (if it is a straight one), and one underneath the machine. I simply turned the machine over to get that one, and off came the window. I cleaned it up, and the brush, and replaced
all. After I had had the machine for awhile it stopped dispensing the cleaning solution. The carpeting was cleaned with the vacuum cleaner first, but there still seemed to be lint that collected. I took it to a repairman who told me the pump was packed with lint (he called it "gunk"). It cost me $42.00 to have it taken care of. I had used just clear water each time to flush it, but it still did that. I was hoping I didn't have to go through that anymore, and is one reason I wanted a different machine.

Old 09-24-2002, 04:30 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

chuckle

emajmom--

Sorry I misspelled your name!!

Old 09-24-2002, 05:48 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Well I tried that suggestion from the book that says to put water on the floor and let the machine suck it up. It never worked for me, I guess it was to clogged up. I also quit using soap after about the 3rd or 4th time and just used water. Still did the same thing to my Berber Carpet.

These shampoo machines are fine for spot cleaning but I suggest calling a professional to have all your carpets cleaned and the investing in a quality vacuum cleaner for use every week on your carpet or however often you vacuum your carpet.

I am not that impressed with shampoo machines and I have owned Bissell, Hoover and the Dirt Devel. They were all the same.

I'll stick to using a professional every six months for $160.00 and use my much loved Rainbow Vacuum every week.

lcw
Old 09-24-2002, 08:31 PM
Nine Year Member

Hi ICW..... A carpet cleaning machine is only as good as the detergent you use. Go to a carpet cleaning supplier to buy professional cleaning products. I would not spend alot of money for a professional if the carpets are not dirty. I used Magic Potion in my carpet cleaner. Most janitorial supply dealers carry products too. Go where they go to get the same products. I am sure they get just as dirty after the professionals clean them. How often do most clean their carpets is the big question. I use the phantom fury vacuum cleaner it really is terrific too. Sueanne
Old 09-25-2002, 06:29 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Sueann,

That is good advice, you are correct the shampoo that is used makes all the difference. I just use my carpet shampoo machine to spot clean. I have two small dogs and the professional service works better for me because of the wear on my berber carpet which is a very light color. I think that also has alot to do with it. My carpet is almost white (I did not pick this out) it was already installed when we bought our new home. I use a professional service every 6 months and they will come back to reshampoo in a day, week or month if any spot comes back that they removed. I have eliminated some of my carpet problems by installing Wilsonart Laminate Flooring in maple. It is great and I love it. I also have tile in large areas to such as my entry, kitchen, foyer to my bedroom and in both my bathrooms. It is amazing how much stuff carpet collects. Also my dogs pick the carpet to go tee tee on and not the tile or other flooring. Go figure! Don't get me wrong I like carpet but with pets I want to keep it to a minimum. Hopefully sometime in the near future we will be able to replace our carpet with a more cream or beige color and I will not have such a hassle.