Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 07-28-2008, 04:33 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

MagicJack Phone?

Has anyone used one of the MagicJack phones?

I am going to try one. I have heard that it is rather similar to a cell phone. Sometime the connection is poor.

But, for $40 the first year, and than $20, a year after that! It will be worth it, I think. I would just use a cell phone, but, than my minutes go way to fast, and a cell phone costs way more than $20/month.

I think the savings will be very significant.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I guess if I don't get any, I will post my input, after using it.

When I was young, I always said I wanted to be someone...I guess I should have been more specific!
Old 07-28-2008, 06:57 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
I don't have one but I know that there is a lot of chatter about them in a couple of the Yahoo groups that I belong to. Some of the women say that they are great.

I'm eager to hear what you think of it once you try it out.

Good Luck!

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 08-04-2008, 03:00 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Our MagicJack came in the mail on Saturday.

It is not as easy to set up as the lead on. I tried to set it up on my computer, and it didn't work, now the cat did step on my keyboard when I plugged it in, this may have messed it up, not sure.

But, DH hooked it up to the other computer, and it worked on there. Fairly easy.

Good things? Free caller ID, a log of all calls on the phone, incoming and outgoing. Nice with having teenagers in the home, if someone says a call was made from here we can check! Free calling within the US and Canada. It also has free voice mail, which I will not use.

Downfalls? Computer has to be on to be able to have phone service. Kind of a pain, since it is not on my computer. Every call I make I have to dial the area code. The phone calls all sound "hollow" almost like no one is there?

This one is hard to explain, but, in our area we are kind of centralized. The next town over has to pay to call to the major cities around them. They are in Denver, with Reading on one side, and Lancaster city on the other side. They have to pay to call both areas. We don't have to pay to call to Lancaster. We had to take a Lancaster exchange, so now it will cost them to call us. But, I will tell them that I will call them right back so as to not run up their phone bill.

Also, with 911, it says to have an alternate way of calling 911. And of course with the computer having to be on to use the phone 911 might be a problem if the computer is shut down, in the middle of the night,and there is an emergency.

Hopefully these are the only quirks with this. If I find any other goodies or bads, I will post them.

When I was young, I always said I wanted to be someone...I guess I should have been more specific!
Old 08-23-2008, 08:50 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

You said the computer has to be on, but does it have to be connected to the internet when using the phone? Can you do other things on the computer when you are on the phone? I've never heard of these before.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:04 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Good questions, ones I forgot to state!

You must have high speed internet, such as DSL or cable, not dial up!

The phone is hooked up to the computer by USB. And than you hook your phone up to the magic jack device.

The magic jack is not a phone in itself. It is actually a device. and you can use your regular phone with the device.

And yes, you can do anything on the computer while using the phone. The only inconvenience with it is that when the phone rings a "pop up" comes up from the magic jack software, letting you know that a call is coming in, and what the number is. The pop also comes up when making a call.

I am adjusting to the Magic Jack, I am not much of a phone user. So, I don't know how easy this would be to adjust to if one is a heavy phone user!

Old 05-08-2010, 03:12 AM
Head Moderator

I have one and it is still sitting on my desk. Never have hooked it up yet and why I am waiting......????? Just helped having some input from someone that has it; maybe now I can get the thing hooked up soon! Anyone else have any experience with the MagicJack?

When I was young we used to go "skinny dipping"; now we just "chunky dunk"

“The value of doing something does not lie in the ease or difficulty, the probability or improbability of its achievement, but in the vision, the plan, the determination and the perseverance, the effort and the struggle which go into the project. Life is enriched by aspiration and effort, rather than by acquisition and accumulation.”

― Helen Nearing, The Good Life
Old 05-08-2010, 04:53 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2-4 View Post
Good questions, ones I forgot to state!

You must have high speed internet, such as DSL or cable, not dial up!

The phone is hooked up to the computer by USB. And than you hook your phone up to the magic jack device.

The magic jack is not a phone in itself. It is actually a device. and you can use your regular phone with the device.

And yes, you can do anything on the computer while using the phone. The only inconvenience with it is that when the phone rings a "pop up" comes up from the magic jack software, letting you know that a call is coming in, and what the number is. The pop also comes up when making a call.

I am adjusting to the Magic Jack, I am not much of a phone user. So, I don't know how easy this would be to adjust to if one is a heavy phone user!
Does it still show caller ID on the phone or does it only show up in a pop on the computer?

I'm still looking to cut my phone bill down.

How is the reception using it? Does it go out in bad weather? I'm assuming that it doesn't work if your computer is down due to bad weather, right? Does it ever go out in bad weather even if your computer is ok?

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 05-12-2010, 03:37 AM
Contest Moderator
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I have a magicJack that I use for work.

It has hold music, vmail, and all kinds of options. I have a head set, which I think has a faulty wire, so I cannot speak to its clarity because it breaks up. I really have to get a new one or an actual phone. But it works, and its very inexpensive.

I dont know why I have a home phone - its a waste of money.

J~