Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Comparing Similar Recipes We thought it would be fun to see how each person makes a certain recipe or meal. Do you use ricotta or cottage cheese in your lasagna? Do you add ketchup to your meatloaf? Let's compare!

Old 05-06-2006, 07:22 PM
Nine Year Member

All the recipes looks so good.
I like to make mine in the pressure cooker. Cut the meat into small pieces to make sure they are tender. Don't add much tomato just a small can of tomato sauce. Like it more on the brown side. Zucchini squash gives it a nice sweet taste even use it in chicken soup. Can even use leftover roast beef or london broil to make another meal.
Which ever way you make it your family will love the homemade taste.
________
Sueanne

Old 03-16-2008, 04:03 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by webe
Whether using beef or Chicken.. I use reduced sodium broth of the same flavor, or you could try vegtable broth (I have yet to try it that way)
2 lbs of either meat cubed and dredged in flour
2 cans of broth
2 cans of gravy (hehe... i cheat on the thickening)
about 4 carrots peeled and cut in 1/2-3/4 inch pieces
4 med. potatoes cut in bite sized pieces
1 onion coarsley chopped
1-2 Tbs. minced garlic (I love garlic.. you may want to use less)
3 celery stocks chopped (include the leaves for great flavor just chop them well)
Olive oil (just a tish to brown the meat in.... add as needed)
worcestershire sauce (just under a TBS)
Dash of hot sauce
Pepper and salt to taste.
Brown the meat in olive oil... then drain (if done right you can just soak up the oil with paper toweling)
Just before it is finished throw all the veggies in to quickly brown them, this gives depth to the stew that I have kept family members wondering how come the recipe tastes better when I cook it, and we are a family that cooks. (I was raised in a restaurant-but we do cheat at cooking at home)
After draining the excess oil add the broth, gravy, garlic, worcestershire, and hot sauce. heat on medium heat, until heated through, then salt and pepper to taste.
This can sit on low for hours on the stove, with just a stir here and there, so it is a very good dinner for the crazy nites that everyones schedual is different.
Serve with Salad and bread.

P.S. If it thickens too much... just add a bit of water at a time, because it thins quickly if covered because of steam.
Thanks for the recipe webe, it was yummy! I did have to make a couple of minor substitutions as I didn't have everything on hand that I needed. Instead of two cans of stock I ended up using one can of stock and a can of beef consomme. Also, didn't have hot sauce so I used a pinch of cayenne pepper.

One thing I will comment on is that the meat took a long time to cook (and I had it on the stove for a LONG time) so I would suggest if following the recipe above, to cover it and simmer it until the meat is tender. Then you can remove the lid and if it's not thick enough, just cook with the lid off for a while to thicken.

This recipe receives the Blue Ribbon Award
Old 03-16-2008, 09:54 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Lunatic

My beef stew recipe is pretty basic...

Stewing beef,rolled in flour and fried
Potato's
Carrots
Onions
Celery
Kernel Corn(optional)
and 3 packages (depending on the size of slow cooker you are using)of Brown Gravy Mix...

Put cut up potato's,cut up celery,sliced onions,Diced carrots into slow cooker,I use a large slow cooker.With enough water to cover...Brown stewing beef that has been rolled in flour...drain and add to slow cooker...Now when the potato's and veggies are almost done,remove 3 cups of juice and put into small pot and add the 3 packages of Brown Gravy mix...simmer to thicken and add back to the slow cooker...add pepper to taste..or salt,we don't use salt in anything...

And Enjoy...
Old 05-15-2008, 01:08 PM
Banned for SPAMMING
FamilyCorner Admirer

I was reading this really awesome Brazilian stew on Epicurious today - it has coconut milk, fish, shrimp, onions and other deliciousness....mmm I want to make it this weekend!
Old 02-14-2009, 06:03 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Stew Recipe

I was just browsing through & found this thread - We just found a really great stew recipe - My husband made it the 1st time & it turned out great!!! It's made in slow cooker which makes it even better!!!

Beef Stew:
4 carrots chopped, 2 potatoes, peeled & cubed, 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms, 1 onion chopped, 3 stalks celery chopped, 3 pounds cubed stew meat, 1 packet dry onion soup mix, 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed golden mushroom soup, 1 3/4 cups water.
Place the carrots, potatoes, mushrooms, onion & celery in slow cooker. Please the uncooked stew meat over the vegetables. Combine the soup mix with the can of soup - Add the water & mix together well - Pour into the slow cooker over the meat & vegetables - Add water as needed so that the liquid comes just to the bottom of the meat - Cook on low setting overnight, adding more water as necessary in the morning - Allow to cook all day.

I myself used extra potatoes, canned mushrooms & didn't add the extra water to cover the meat - We also doubled the recipe since my boys are such big eaters - When my husband made it & then when I made it, we started it in the morning & left it all day (7:00 - 5:00) & it's the best stew!!! The meat was so tender!!!
Old 02-14-2009, 06:38 AM
Three Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thanks, that does sound good~!
Old 02-18-2009, 10:57 AM

Its funny as I am making this right now and I happened to come across this thread.

One nice big hunk of beef
Lots of potatoes, peeled and cubed
frozen carrots, peas and pearl onions.
water
Oil for searing
House seasoning

In a big pot heat the oil very hot. Sprinkle house seasoning onto the meat and rub in, then place in pot. Sear until all sides are brown. Remove from heat and add enough water to cover meat. Place in 375* oven and cook for 1 hour. Turn down heat to 275* and cook for 4-5 hours.
When meat is tender, cut it into chunks, add potates and carrots. When they are about half tender add peas and onions. Place back into the oven anbd cook for about 30 minutes.
You can thicken it if desired with a mixture of corn starch and water.
Serve with hot bread or rolls

NOTE:
House seasoning
1 c salt
1/2 c garlic powder
1/4 c pepper
Old 02-20-2009, 06:18 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I'm trying a new stew recipe tomorrow for dinner and if its good I will post it. Keep your fingers crossed. Lol
Old 05-25-2013, 02:49 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

This is one of my favorite beef stew recipes.
Crockpot Java Beef Stew with Mushrooms and Baby Reds - Amanda's Cookin'

Crockpot Java Beef Stew with Mushrooms and Baby Reds

2 pounds beef stew meat
1/4 cup flour
2 tablespoon olive oil, divided
1 1/2 pounds baby reds, quartered
1 teaspoon dried thyme
salt and pepper to taste
2 cups slivered onions
2 cups sliced mushrooms
5 cloves garlic, kept whole
1 cup beef broth
1/4 cup coffee
1 cup frozen peas

Dry the beef stew meat using paper towels. Dredge the beef in the flour and brown in a large skillet in one tablespoon of the olive oil. When browned, empty the meat into the slow cooker. Add the potatoes and toss with the beef. Sprinkle potatoes and beef with the thyme and season with salt and pepper.

Do not clean the skillet. There will probably be some brown bits in the pan and that’s good! Add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil and saute the slivered onions and sliced mushrooms until the begin to get tender. Add the garlic and saute for a minute longer.

Transfer the onion mixture to the slow cooker.

Put the skillet back onto the stove and add the broth and coffee. Use a spatula to deglaze the pan getting all those yummy brown bits mixed into the broth mixture. Simmer for a few minutes just to get it all mixed together, then add the broth mixture to the slow cooker.

Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 6-7 hours or on high for 4-5 hours. 20 minutes before serving, add the peas to the slow cooker and continue cooking until done.