Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Comparing Similar Recipes We thought it would be fun to see how each person makes a certain recipe or meal. Do you use ricotta or cottage cheese in your lasagna? Do you add ketchup to your meatloaf? Let's compare!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.50 average.
Old 09-18-2002, 09:43 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
What does your family consider goulash? Will you share your recipe?

I have only had goulash one time and it was my MIL's house. It was very good......a tomato-y sauce with beef chunks served over bread.

Ive come to realize though that the word GOULASH has many different meaning from family to family. We never had a goulash recipe in our family that I know of.

Do you have one? Will you share your family secrets?

Thanks,
Tami

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 09-19-2002, 08:37 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I have to tell everyone of this little goulash story. I was at my sisters house the other day and we stayed for dinner. My nephew had his friend over too. He asked his mother what was for dinner and she replied "goulash." He turned and told his friend that his mom makes the best goulash. He said it was so good that when she died, she would be cooking it for God in heaven. The new name of my sisters goulash is now Godlash. My sister was a bit dissappointed though. She thought when she goes to heaven, she would be done cooking.

Old 09-19-2002, 08:39 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
LOL!! That's a good one!!!

Care to share her secret recipe??? ;-) ;-)

Please, Please, Please!!!!!!

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 09-19-2002, 06:26 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I think this is how she did it. When she makes it, she makes alot because her husbands business is in thier backyard and all the employee's raid her refigerator. She must feed the masses!

5 lbs hamburger
large box of shell noodles
1 onion
fresh garlic
salt
pepper
1 cup butter
2 large cans stewed tomatoes

Boil noodles as you brown the hamburger and onions and diced garlic. Drain juice from canned tomatoes and squish tomatoes (thats the fun part! ) Drain noodles and rinse. Drain grease from hamburger. It a large pot put tomatoes that you squished with only that juice, hamburger, noodles, butter, salt, pepper. Warm it all together. It's Great.

I am sorry if this is not an official looking recipe. I am not much of a cook myself so I just am calling it as I saw her cook it. Hope I didn't miss anything. I will call her and make sure that this is right. I wouldn't want to mess up her Godlash!!

Old 09-21-2002, 07:37 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Goulash Recipies

My wonderful Grandmother used to make goulash when I was little. That was the best part about going to her house (well, maybe not the best part). Every time we were there to visit, goulash was always requested and she was always more than happy to make it for us. After she passed away my Dad said that I should pass the goulash tradition on to my children and tell them how Grandma Belle used to make it for me when I was young. I made it alright and it didn't taste anything like hers. Why is it that even if you have the exact ingredients that someone used you can make it to taste the same?

Anyway, here is how my Grandma Belle made hers. It's very simple but it tasted wonderful.;-)

Grandma Belle's Goulash

Spagetti noodles (cooked)
Tomato sauce
Hamburger (cooked and crumbled)
Chopped Mushrooms (optional)

Simple but wonderful!!

katykat
Old 09-21-2002, 07:48 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

My version of goulash is pretty simple- just like the others listed. I brown a pound of ground beef, with some onion and garlic, salt and pepper. Add a jar of your favorite spaghetti sauce (although, if I remember right, the goulash I had as a child always seemed to have extra "veggies" in- so you may want to go for the Chunky or Garden Style sauce). Add some cooked macaroni noodles- it was ALWAYS macaroni noodles!;-)
Prego makes a sauce that doesn't require cooking the noodles first. I think it's called "pasta bake sauce" (or something like that). To use this instead, just brown your ground beef, add the macaroni, sauce and one full jar of water. Then you finish it off in the oven.

My husband doesn't like to eat spaghetti (he says it's too much work!), but he always enjoys the goulash!

Enjoy!
Michelle
Old 09-21-2002, 07:53 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Location: I'm somewhere between the Port of Indecision & Southwest of Disorder
Family Goulash?

This is what I grew up knowing as goulash (sp?). I am almost 60 years old and I learned to make this from watching my grandmother make it. I can't give you any measurements, just the ingredients, since that is the way I make it.
Put ground beef in a skillet, when about half done add salt and pepper and chopped onion (I use lots, we love onion!!), salt & pepper, easy on these since you may have to adjust. When the meat is done and lightly browned I add chili powder and mix well, then pour in a quart or more tomatoes, depends on how much meat you have cooked, let come to a simmer then taste for your seasonings, I usually have to add more chili powder. I go more by how it smells than how it tastes, so you can adjust the chili powder to your family. I also use minced garlic in this, again it is used for your taste. I let this simmer while I am cooking up a pot of elbow macaroni. Drain the pasta and mix it with the sauce.
I could eat this every day if my DH didn't fuss.

A man may go to heaven: without health; without wealth;
without fame; without a great name;
without learning; without earnings;
without culture; without beauty;
without friends and without ten thousand other things,-
But he can NEVER go to Heaven without Christ
Old 09-21-2002, 07:55 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

chuckle

I know there are alot of goulash recipes out there & none are like mine;-) Just kidding LOL - My kids love it - Brown sausage, hamburg, onions, mushrooms & garlic & add in your favorite scetti sauce - Mix together with cooked egg noodles and then mix mozzarella all the way through it and on top. I usually bake just until the cheese is melted. It's their favorite. My mother always made it with Macaroni.......I know there is a lot of goulash recipes with big chunks of meat & gravy - yum, will have to try them sometime
Old 09-21-2002, 11:05 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

The honest to goodness goulash is called Hungarian Goulash and it has a brown gravy and chunks of round steak or chuck.

Our version was whatever was in the refrigerator and pantry. Usually it was browned ground beef, onions, garlic and celery. Sometimes I use tomato sauce or tomato soup; spaghetti sauce (flavored) is good. Anything tomato works. I simmer all that for about an hour and then add cooked noodles, not macaroni. At the end I add a can of baby peas. It never turns out the same, but it is always good!
Old 09-21-2002, 11:54 AM
Friend of the Family

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
FamilyCorner Newbie

My recipe is just a little bit different than others.

1 lb. browned and drained ground beef
1 box/bag any type noodles (cooked)
1/2-1 bottle small size ketchup (enough to cover everything and a little to spare)
2-3 Tbs. Mrs. Dash

Mix all together and reheat a little to mix in the flavors.

I also rinse the meat after I brown it to remove as much fat as I can. Not necessary though.

It is sooooo Good!