Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Comparing Similar Recipes We thought it would be fun to see how each person makes a certain recipe or meal. Do you use ricotta or cottage cheese in your lasagna? Do you add ketchup to your meatloaf? Let's compare!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.50 average.
Old 09-25-2002, 07:29 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Janet,

no problem...I hope you enjoy it, my two kids LOVE that recipe!
Old 09-25-2002, 09:19 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Good afternoon everyone,
I love goulash of all kinds, but this is the basic receipe I have developed for my family.

Brown 1 1/2 - 2# of hamburger with garlic salt, pepper and lots of chopped onion. When it is browned, drain well then I add about 1T of cayenne pepper, stir and brown just a touch more. Add 1 can of rotel, 1 can of diced tomatoes, and a large can of tomato sauce. Let simmer on low while cooking extra wide egg noodles. Add noodles and serve with large dollops of sour cream on top. This should be very spicy and the sour cream will make it rich tasting with a bite. We enjoy ours with a side salad and garlic toast.

If you try this, I hope you enjoy it!
Old 09-25-2002, 01:41 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I use pretty much the same ingrediants but I do add alittle sugar. I think sugar is good in anything that has tomatoes in it, not much, I don't like it sweet.
I don't use sugar anymore I use Splenda, my guys cant tell the difference and it goes with my diet.
Old 09-26-2002, 07:20 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

blushing Goulash

Hi all!

Everyone's recipe for Goulash seems to involve ground beef, but I have been making it the "Martha" way (ok, ok) for some years now. She describes it as a peasant dish with very few ingredients: beef, onions, paprika - over noodles. The recipe calls for 5 lbs. of beef, and of course you can cut the recipe in half, but I find it just disappears, and I now make the full recipe. This cooks down to a very tender, flavorful meal - try it!

(Since Halloween is just around the corner, tell your kids its....)

BEEF “GHOUL”ASH
Serves 10 to 12

Whether you use sweet or spicy Hungarian paprika, it should be fresh and have a pungent aroma.

1/4 cup unsalted butter
1/4 cup olive oil
Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
5 pounds beef chuck, well trimmed, cut into 1-inch cubes
5 pounds yellow onions, chopped
1/4 cup Hungarian paprika
3 cups homemade beef stock, or canned low-sodium beef broth, skimmed of fat
2 pounds broad egg noodles, cooked (I think this means bags?)
Sour cream, for garnish
Chopped chives, for garnish

1. Heat 1 tablespoon butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large, heavy bottomed pot over high heat. Season meat with salt and pepper to taste. Cook meat in batches, being careful not to overcrowd the pot, and adding 1 tablespoon each of butter and oil as needed. Cook each batch of meat until well browned on all sides, about 3 to 5 minutes, and transfer to a plate while the next batch browns.

2. Reduce heat to low, add onions and cook, stirring occasionally until onions are translucent, about 15 to 20 minutes. Return meat to pot, and add paprika and stock. Stir well to combine. Cook covered over very low heat, stirring occasionally,
until meat is tender and the sauce has thickened,
about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

Adjust seasonings. Serve over egg noodles with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkling of chives.
Old 09-26-2002, 07:35 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

M.K. Warren....have you read all the recipes on this board? Mine doesn`t have groundbeef...I cook my gulasch with beefcubes too. Your recipe is very similar to the one i posted yesterday.
Old 09-26-2002, 08:08 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Family Goulash

Here is my mother's recipe and then mine. I make it differently than her. Both taste great there is nothing like mom's cooking

1 lb ground hamburg (she uses regular)
one can diced tomatoes
one can condensed tomato soup
elbow macaroni
one coarsely chopped onion (she is big on onions)
Grated Cheddar cheese

She browns hamburg with onions while macaroni cooks. Then she gets out her roasting pan. She throws in cooked hamburg and onions, tomatoes, tomato soup, and macaroni. She mixes it till all combined. She then grates cheddar over the top and cooks it in a 375 degree oven till cheese is melted cause everything was warm to begin with.

Mine is similar to hers but I have changed it to suit my husbands and my own tastes.

1 lb lean ground hamburg
one can diced toatoes
half a can of condensed tomato soup
half a can of spaghetti sauce (usually uses Hot and Spicy)
half a bag of egg noodles ( I will uses anything on hand if no egg
noodles but we prefer the egg noodles)
half a green bell pepper
half a red bell pepper
mushrooms
Cheddar and Mozzarella cheese grated

Brown meat, cook egg noodles till they are almost cooked. They cook in the oven to and I don't like mushy noodles. I throw everything into egg noodle pot and mix together. I pour half of mixture into roasting pan with cover. Then I sprinkle both cheeses ontop on what I just put in. Then cover with remaining mixture from pot. Then put more cheese on top. I bake for about 20-25 min or until cheese melts. I love it with lots of veggies.

Everyone's recipes seem so yummy. Didn't really think there were so many recipes out there

Wanda
Old 09-26-2002, 05:55 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Lightbulb heres another goulash recipe

hello to everyone.
mine is kinda similar-
but here it is.

boil 1 lb. elbow macaroni.
add to 1 lb. cooked g. beef (seasoned with garlic,onions, seasoning salt, and "chilipowder").
add 1 jar of ragu spaghetti sauce.
add 1 can of light red kidney beans.
heat till warmed thorough.
this is good and simple.
sincerely-sheila ann anderson
Old 09-26-2002, 06:03 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hey M. K. ! Feeds 10 to 12 ? As Justin Wilson says 4-6 Cajuns and 10 - 12 regular people so the people at my house must be Cajuns!

Old 02-23-2004, 08:56 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Wow, this is the first time that I have read through this entire thread. I can't wait to try some of these recipes!

My MIL makes a goulash that's similar to most of the recipes posted here. Hers also includes ground beef, onion, garlic, tomato sauce, and she adds green pepper. It smells so good while cooking.

Thanks for all these!

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 02-23-2004, 09:37 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
My Dh has been asking for goulash for a while now but since my MIL has passed, I havent attempted to make her recipe. Since this thread was activated again, maybe Ill try a couple of new recipes.

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!