Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Comparing Similar Recipes We thought it would be fun to see how each person makes a certain recipe or meal. Do you use ricotta or cottage cheese in your lasagna? Do you add ketchup to your meatloaf? Let's compare!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.50 average.
Old 09-21-2002, 01:54 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

chuckle

Hi ajrsmom,

Here is my recipe for Goulash, I've been making this for years!
2 lbs. Hamburg
Macaroni
Garlic Powder
Garlic Salt
1 can, small of Campbell's Condensed Tomato Soup
1 small Onion
Mushrooms, if desired
Fresh Ground Pepper to taste

Brown hamburg and season with garlic salt,powder and fresh ground pepper. When hamburg is cooked, drain off most of the grease, and add the can of Campbell's soup. Do not add water to the soup. Saute the onion and add to the hamburg mixture. Cover to keep warm. Boil Macaroni and add cooked pasta to the warm hamburg mixture. Serve immediately, or store in refrigerator for later eating. Great as leftovers.
Old 09-21-2002, 02:23 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Heres one I haven't seen

Ok all, this is the way I make it and I learned it from my MIL. Brown beef
with onions drain grease off--
add 1 or 2 cans tomato soup depending on how much your making--
simmer awhile--
meanwhile cook pasta (I use macroni, but anything will work)
I cook it until its not quite done otherwise it can get too soft
when pasta is done I run cold water to stiffen it.
Add one can corn with juice
Add macroni or whatever and here is where I add seasoning of choice.
Heat to eat, and is it good. Leftovers are fabulous.
I always ate Hungarian Goulash when I was a kid and that is good too.
Old 09-21-2002, 04:32 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

make mac and cheese and set aside
brown 2 and a half pounds hamburger meat. drain fat into bowl and put into freezer.
take chopped green peppers ( and/or red, yellow, orange different colors have different levels of vitamins )
chopped onion and saute with a little veggie oil
add minced garlic ( I the jarred garlic - no need to press )
when peppers and onion are about done add back hamburger.
Take the bowl out of the freezer. The white fat can be thrown out and the aspic added to the pan
add chilli powder and dash salt
( optional )add canned corn, mushrooms
add stewed tomatoes or tomato sauce
add one capfull of white wine ( cuts the sour out of the tomatoes. when mixture bubbles the alchohol has evaporated )
cook until peppers are done
either mix in the mac and cheese or pour over it. tastes better the next day.

Old 09-21-2002, 05:25 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
You guys are terrific!! I love seeing the different versions that each family has, not to mention some great new recipes to try!!

Thank You!!!

Keep 'em coming!!

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 09-21-2002, 05:48 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Our Family's Goulash

Our Goulash

Round Steak cut into small pieces. Brown in pan with onions, garlic, and small amount of olive oil. Next I throw in carrots, cut diagonally. Then I add fresh mushrooms. I add a little water while everything is cooking. I add spices...black pepper, Mrs. Dash, sea salt, paprika-1tablespoon, beef bouillon cube, and I add 8 ozs. of red wine. I turn down the heat, simmer . Then before I serve it I add egg noodles(already cooked).

This is the type of Goulash we eat..it comes out looking like a dark burgundy color, with splashes of orange color carrots, and I like to see whole small mushrooms, bobbing through out the broth.

Hmm...now i am getting hungry! lol
Old 09-23-2002, 05:59 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

goulash

My goulash, pronounced goolosh, is just cooked elbowroni, browned hamburger and onions simmered in tomato juice to blend flavors and a little oregano, salt and pepper. My son is grown and out of the house but still requests this.
Old 09-23-2002, 09:05 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Does nobody but our family put colby or cheddar cheese and worcestershire sauce in theirs???

Other than that, mine is about the same as many others.

Brown:
ground beef, onion and minced garlic

Add: 1 can diced,stewed, etc tomatoes, 2 cans (regular) tomatoe sauce, aprox 1t chili powder, 1T Ital seasoning, salt and pepper

Cook some type of noodles and add

Just before serving, add lots of colby or cheddar cheese and several shakes of that "w" sauce. Of course, let the cheese melt - then serve.
Old 09-24-2002, 07:19 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

My best friend, who is of Polish descent, was absolutely flabbergasted when I served this for supper one night. I had invited him down for goulash, and he was expecting Hungarian style. Was he in for a shock!

My mom learned this from her brother-in-law (my uncle); who knows where he got it! It's not like any other goulash I've ever heard of. In fact, since my friend reacted like he did, my girls changed the name to Hobo Stew.

1 1/2 to 2 lbs hamburger, browned (mince up some onion and throw in if you'd like)

While the burger is browning, peel 2-3 medium potatoes, cube into half-inch cubes, place in a ring on a plate, cover with plastic, and nuke for 6-7 minutes, until tender. (Growing up, my mom always fried hers. I found this to be faster and less fattening!)

Drain the burger, rinse, then add the potatoes to it. Into the skillet add onoe regular size can of pork & beans, a regular size can of tomato sauce (can add extra if you want it saucier), salt and pepper to taste. Cover with American cheese slices and simmer until cheese is melted. My sisters-in-law used to fight over their portions! It's really good, fast, cheap, and easy; serve with some cottage cheese or a salad and some Texas toast. The leftovers (if there are any) are even better the next day!
Old 09-25-2002, 07:00 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Pinkie Winky goulash

Hi, I just wanted to share my family`s Goulashrecipe. I grew up in Germany and this is the typical GERMAN GULASCH!

you need beefstewmeat (2 lb) or cut up a beefchuckroast in cubes.
1 large onion
1 can beefbroth
2 red bellpeppers
minced garlic (about 1 tablespoon)
salt, pepper and paprikapowder
cornstarch
sour cream
wide eggnoodles

cut up the meat, onion, garlic and bellpepper. dust the meatcubes with a little flour and brown them in a pan together with the onion and the garlic. Then put the meat, garlic, onion, cut up bellpeppers and beefbroth in a crockpot and spice them with salt, pepper and paprika powder. simmer it on low for 8 hours. then mix in about a tablespoon of cornstarch and 1/4 cup of sour cream to make the sauce creamy and thick. Serve this Gulasch over cooked eggnoodles.

Hope you like it!
Old 09-25-2002, 07:04 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

angel29, Your recipe sounds great...I am going to print it out for future use. Thanks for sharing!

janet