Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Parenting Issues > College Parents

College Parents Full time or part time student and taking care of kids? Talk to others in your boat!

Old 05-16-2003, 07:41 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

kids home from college

hi, does anyone have kids home for the summer from college? we do .Everything changes again.
Old 05-21-2003, 01:20 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

*chuckle* remember when they left and everyone cried...? *s*

You've become accustomed to having the place for yourself.. Make sure they have a job.. or get one ASAP... and also remind them that they are still at home and the RULES don't change....
They are now able to do their own laundry, clean their rooms and cook for themselves. Make them do it...

You can also say...what is out of place gets thrown away....and keep to it.. You are not a maid or chauffeur..... Just make rules ans stick to them....

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."
Old 05-25-2003, 08:43 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

What an interesting thread! I'll have to subscribe so I can read all suggestions from the experienced parents. JEANNIE - I love what you wrote!

Nan
Old 05-25-2003, 08:53 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Nan..thanks... it works if they stick to it.. in fact, they go back to school as soon as they can....LOL

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."
Old 10-31-2007, 11:37 AM
Banned for SPAMMING
FamilyCorner Admirer

You should let your kids travel or work abroad - they will come back better children because they realize everything they take for granted.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:33 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Flutterby--My oldest dd was home from college last summer and we all nearly went nuts. She wasn't happy, because she no longer had her room (dd2 finally got a room of her own), but had to sleep in the basement (which DH and I fixed up for her). She was bored with life back at home and just was a bit of a pain at times. I love that girl, but was ready for her to move back this fall.
Next summer she is going to do Camp Adventure, a program through college that will send her abroad for the summer to run summer camps for military kids. I have mixed feelings about sending her so far, but it is an opportunity she will probably never get again. I hope she will see as you said how fortunate we in the US are.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:55 AM
Banned for SPAMMING
FamilyCorner Admirer

I think this sounds like a great idea for your dd. Not only will she appreciate her life more, but also have unforgettable experiences ( I hope) I think that it is just a great way to get perspective and gain understanding about the world. Particularly as the world becomes increasingly interconnected, it is important to show kids and young people what is out there - otherwise they will be at a serious disadvantage.
Old 05-25-2009, 04:22 PM
6 yr member
FamilyCorner Addict

The kids are coming home from college. How are things going? I won't have this experience this summer but next year I will. Our older daughter will be leaving in August for her 1st year in college.

Charlotte
Old 05-26-2009, 02:06 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Flutterby was right, letting your kids go aboard does help them appreciate home more.
DD is home again for the summer and while it is not perfect she has got better since spending last summer in Japan.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:46 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Ds1 just got home from college and week and a half ago. So far things are ok but I can tell he is already getting irritated with us and not having so much freedom. I have a hard time with him staying up all night and sleeping all day but now that he has started his summer job that is changing a bit. The big thing is finding space for all the college stuff be brought home. We don't want to pack it away as he will be taking it back with him at the end of August but we really have no place to put everything. I am happy to ahve everyone here again but it is an adjustment.

~Mother Theresa