FamilyCorner.com Forums

FamilyCorner.com Forums (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/)
-   College Parents (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/college-parents/)
-   -   kids home from college (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/college-parents/7011-kids-home-college.html)

gthreeamigos 05-16-2003 07:41 PM

kids home from college

hi, does anyone have kids home for the summer from college? we do .Everything changes again.

Jeannie 05-21-2003 01:20 PM

*chuckle* remember when they left and everyone cried...? *s*

You've become accustomed to having the place for yourself.. Make sure they have a job.. or get one ASAP... and also remind them that they are still at home and the RULES don't change....
They are now able to do their own laundry, clean their rooms and cook for themselves. Make them do it...

You can also say...what is out of place gets thrown away....and keep to it.. You are not a maid or chauffeur..... Just make rules ans stick to them....

indnan 05-25-2003 08:43 PM

What an interesting thread! I'll have to subscribe so I can read all suggestions from the experienced parents. JEANNIE - I love what you wrote!

Nan

Jeannie 05-25-2003 08:53 PM

Nan..thanks... it works if they stick to it.. in fact, they go back to school as soon as they can....LOL

Flutterby84 10-31-2007 11:37 AM

You should let your kids travel or work abroad - they will come back better children because they realize everything they take for granted.

Joy 10-31-2007 12:33 PM

Flutterby--My oldest dd was home from college last summer and we all nearly went nuts. She wasn't happy, because she no longer had her room (dd2 finally got a room of her own), but had to sleep in the basement (which DH and I fixed up for her). She was bored with life back at home and just was a bit of a pain at times. I love that girl, but was ready for her to move back this fall.
Next summer she is going to do Camp Adventure, a program through college that will send her abroad for the summer to run summer camps for military kids. I have mixed feelings about sending her so far, but it is an opportunity she will probably never get again. I hope she will see as you said how fortunate we in the US are.

Flutterby84 11-01-2007 09:55 AM

I think this sounds like a great idea for your dd. Not only will she appreciate her life more, but also have unforgettable experiences ( I hope) I think that it is just a great way to get perspective and gain understanding about the world. Particularly as the world becomes increasingly interconnected, it is important to show kids and young people what is out there - otherwise they will be at a serious disadvantage.

happymomof4 05-25-2009 04:22 PM

The kids are coming home from college. How are things going? I won't have this experience this summer but next year I will. Our older daughter will be leaving in August for her 1st year in college.

Joy 05-26-2009 02:06 PM

Flutterby was right, letting your kids go aboard does help them appreciate home more.
DD is home again for the summer and while it is not perfect she has got better since spending last summer in Japan.

Sammi1961 05-29-2009 05:46 AM

Ds1 just got home from college and week and a half ago. So far things are ok but I can tell he is already getting irritated with us and not having so much freedom. I have a hard time with him staying up all night and sleeping all day but now that he has started his summer job that is changing a bit. The big thing is finding space for all the college stuff be brought home. We don't want to pack it away as he will be taking it back with him at the end of August but we really have no place to put everything. I am happy to ahve everyone here again but it is an adjustment.