Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Parenting Issues > College Parents

College Parents Full time or part time student and taking care of kids? Talk to others in your boat!

Old 04-30-2002, 04:48 PM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Any college moms here?

I would love to hear from other college moms and your experience with paying for and surviving college costs. We have 2 kids that will graduate on May 10 & 11th (graduate from college that is) and another student in college. It's really hard to live AND to pay for college for more than one kid. Anyone else been here and done this?
Old 04-30-2002, 06:43 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hi PrairieRose,

I can truly relate!

Our DS is in college and it is costing a fortune. Luckily, we have gotten some scholarships and loans. We also have a daughter who will be a senior next year. Both of them will be in college at the same time!

We expect our kids to contribute greatly to their own education. They must have a job and are expected to live with us to keep costs down. So far this arrangement is working great!

Hang in there!

Jenna
Old 05-04-2002, 04:42 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Location: Live in own home in rural WV town next to Maryland.
Re: Any college moms here?

Quote:
Originally posted by PrairieRose
I would love to hear from other college moms and your experience with paying for and surviving college costs. We have 2 kids that will graduate on May 10 & 11th (graduate from college that is) and another student in college. It's really hard to live AND to pay for college for more than one kid. Anyone else been here and done this?
Yes, there is life after college tuition! I have one DS who has gone and one DD that has one year to go and another yet who says she isn't sure. But, there are many ways to get aid. You should start with scholarships and grants, they are a priority. Then there are many new types of loans and the repayment is great, honestly. My daughter is out this year due to my husband being ill, but they are working with her about her repayments, etc. I am totally impressed with it all. I myself was in college, yeah at the age of 45 and had to drop out due to a tragedy in my family, but I am able to work out the problems and will probably go back and complete it. I really want to.
Old 05-08-2002, 05:42 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

When I was a senior in college, my parents has 3 DD in college. Two of us lived at home (that has it's own challenges) and my other sis went to a cheaper state school.

DH put himself through college and grad school. During undergrad he lived with family, worked, and went to a community college and then a state school. He did that with no financial aid. For grad school he was living out on his own and he did get one school loan. The "cheaper" state schools haven't hindered him in finding employment.
Old 05-19-2002, 09:29 PM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Well we did do the scholarships and the kids got several between them. We didn't qualify for pell grants or other finan. aid through the college so we did it the "HARD" way. We scraped and scrimped and did without while the 2 oldest were in college, at separate colleges at the same time. It was sooooo hard. Now we only have 1 more to go and it feels like a huge relief. To anyone who has small children: Look into things like the Texas Tomorrow Fund or whatever your state might offer that is similar. It's where you can pay for college tuition and fees at today's prices. You can pay in smallish increments and it's going to be soooooo much cheaper in the future than what costs will be. I wish we had done that!
Old 08-28-2011, 08:59 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Happy face

Having children in college can certainly be a financial challenge! We now have 3 in graduate school. Our son is getting his PhD in biology, his wife is starting her program in Art History, and our daughter has one more year to go for her MA in English (she will be applying to PhD programs for the following year). When our ds and dd were undergraduates, they managed to get scholarships which was a huge help. In addition, we had a couple of generous and loving relatives who purchased large bonds for the children when they were young. Those two things, along with the savings we had, paid for their college. My children worked during the summers, but it was for the "extras" -- not for the tuition.

Our ds and ddil are on fellowships for the grad school, but we try to give them a little $ from time to time. Our dd is at an expensive grad school (NYU). We pay for her rent and food. She has student loans and is working 2 campus jobs. We pay the interest on her loans (so it won't add to her loan balance). She is very fearful of accruing more debt. She won't accept any PhD program unless she receives full funding -- which is very, very difficult.

We love all of them, but we can't wait until they are all "off the dole" -- lol!!