Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Parenting Issues > College Parents

College Parents Full time or part time student and taking care of kids? Talk to others in your boat!

Old 08-18-2002, 01:53 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

PCDI classes anyone??

Has anyone out there taken classes through PCDI or any of those other schools? I've thought about it, but they're expensive. I'm wondering if their "degrees" are really worth the money and effort. Are they looked at as a real degree (like from a real college), or is it a scam? It would be the easiest way for me to try to build a creer, but I'm not too sure about the whole thing. If anyone has any insight I'd really appreciate it!!!!
Old 08-23-2002, 09:29 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Lissa...

I don't know what it is you want to do.....but if you want to take a correspondence courses..or online courses, the one I know that has a very good reputation is The University of Phoenix......they have over 100 campuses nationwide....

here is their website....check it out....

http://achieve.phoenix.edu/index.asp

Good Luck...
Jeannie
Old 08-24-2002, 06:19 AM
missmouse

If yu decide to pusue a distance degree go through an accredited university. Check out the credentials of the instructors. If there is a certain fiel you are interrested in talk to people in the profession and see if they would be willing to hire someone with a degree or certificate from that program. Good Luck.
Old 08-25-2002, 02:12 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Thanks for the advice guys! I'm not sure what I would want to study right now, for a long time I wanted to open a day care in my home and realized that I'd need to take a series of classes at my local college to be state certified. I just thought that if I could take a course on my own hours, it would be the best thing for me right now. I care for my 2-year-old during the day and work full time from 3-11 at night. Thank you again! Ithink I'll decide what would be the best thing to go into first, then look into schools and talking to people in that field as you both suggested!
Old 08-26-2002, 07:54 PM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hi Lissa,

I am currently taking a paralegal course through PCDI. I love it. They have been very helpful and they are very quick in getting the materials to you. The couple of times I've wanted to talk to someone, they have always called or emailed me quickly. I spoke with a couple lawyer friends of mine before I started and they assured me that they would hire someone with a degree from PCDI.

The book I am currently studying was written by John Ashcroft, which I thought was pretty cool. I quit college when I was a junior and going back now would mean starting over as that was 14 years ago. The material from PCDI seems to be as well written as anything I studied in regular college and I love being able to do it when I want to do it. I'm kind of a start and stopper, so I like to get on a roll and get ahead and then coast a little......try that in normal school. lol So far I'm making a "A". yay!!!

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!!!

Lisa

May you have warm words on a cold evening ~ A full moon on a dark night ~ and the road downhill all the way to your door. Lisa~
Old 09-03-2002, 09:00 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Thanks Lisa! I still haven't looked much into what would be the best area to go into for my area (who's in demand). Glad to hear it's working so well for you! I never finished my Freshman year (2xs) and it's been about 6 years. I know I'm ready to do something, I just don't know what.
Old 04-11-2003, 04:31 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Lissa:

I ran across this thread and thought I'd ask if you ever made a decision. I also wanted to suggest (this is good for anyone) that if you still don't know what you want to do, call a local community college and ask about apptitude testing. Most times this is FREE and actually fun.

I set one up at the college when I lived in Alabama, it took me about 30 to 45 minutes to complete and I had the results in about 2 weeks. It was fascinating! I always knew I enjoyed teaching others and sure enough the test showed teaching as a career path that I should pursue. Ditto the social services field, though it has become far too liberal for this conservatives taste. There were other areas as well that I had never considered.

I'm a SAH Nana now but I still enjoyed the feedback!

Jayne

Editor of FREE Penny Pincher freebie newsletter:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LOLPennyPincher/

Subscribe: [email protected]

Special Member of the Family
Become an Honorary Member