Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Parenting Issues > College Parents

College Parents Full time or part time student and taking care of kids? Talk to others in your boat!

Old 07-20-2002, 09:03 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

College Bound Mommy

I'm going back to college this next month. I work f/t, and have two kiddos to raise, and have a house to keep up. Is anyone else in this same situation that could offer me some tips?

Thanks-a-million!

Old 07-28-2002, 08:48 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Pinkie Winky College, me too!

I decided after 12 1/2 years as an R.N. to go back to school.I graduated with an Associate Degree.I now want to complete a Masters program.Iwork part time,which is great,because I have four children(G-11,B-7, G-4, B-11 months) and my husband works rotating shift work .The problem with scheduling my own work hours is, my hospital doesn't give me any tuition assistance. So, I have decided to take one class at a time.This way,it's not a financial strain,and I don't have as much pressure. I fgure it will take about 10 years.But,that's ok, it gives me a goal,and shows my children to perservere and be patient.I'll be 10 years older no matter what,so I may as well do it!Pray alot! Let some housework go,and don't be too hard on yourself. You are setting a good example for your children. Remember to always make a little time for you and alot of time for them.And keep Praying,God is listening!
Old 07-28-2002, 07:44 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Just wanted to say - "WAY TO GO!" I hope to some day go back to school -I have an associate degree now. I don't know how you amazing women do it all! I am a SAHM with a 2 year old boy and I feel as though sometimes I can't even get a shower every day! I admire and envy all of you who can juggle family, work and school! Bravo!
Old 07-29-2002, 06:11 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hey EvilHelga...Where in Pa?

I''m from PA too.When I registered I somehow picked the wrong time zone,don't ask me how.So,now it always looks like I'm on here in the middle of the night! Where in PA are you?
Old 07-29-2002, 09:52 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

You need to join www.flylady.net. This web site is great for organizing your house and routines. I joined about two months ago. Its great. My house is spotless, my bills are paid on time, greeting cards and emails sent. Shopping a breeze. I have more time on my hands now that I am starting to look for hobbies to keep me busy. I think this web site would be great for you to look in to and try to establis new life routines. Best of luck to you and you go girl........
Old 07-29-2002, 04:08 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Samlmom - Erie
Old 07-31-2002, 08:18 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I don't have any advice but I admire you and wish you much success. You should be proud of yourself!
Old 07-31-2002, 05:11 PM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I am like Samlmom, I too am a nurse with an assosciates degree, went back a few years back got my BSN and am in grad school now. I have done of on line courses so it keeps me from going to school too much, but I got myself a cleaning lady comes in every other week, I cut my hours once I entered grad school to 4 days a week, still considered full time where I work. My son is now 21 but he was in high school when I started. I also had a mom who needed extra care and went into assisted l;iving and then passed away this year and I still have an aunt in assisted living who lived with my mom.
I will not say it is easy but it is worth it.
Ruth
Old 08-03-2002, 01:15 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thanks!

Thanks Catlady101! It makes me feel like I'm doing the right thing. Iwish you luck in Grad school. By the time I reach there, it will be years! I'll take any pointers you have!
Old 08-03-2002, 01:34 PM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I hardly ever pay full price for my books, I buy them on line or as used or borrow them from a friend who was a few years ahead of me.
Learn to use your computer's word processing program, some colleges have a standard they like you to use, my school uses Word...that way if you email an assignment the prof can read it too.
Take any help wherever you can get it. They sell APA format programs, what a help when writing medical/nursing papers.
Talk to the profs, many know exactly what you are going through and when it is necessary can cut some slack, just do not abuse it.
Learn to love your house a little messy, as long as it is clean a little mess won't hurt. Have everyone involved in keeping the house clean, the laundry done etc. If everyone knows what is expected of them they will do it.
Have a regularly scheduled study time. Everyone will get use to leaving you alone during this time.
I do mine on Sundays after Church and my weekly online meeting with my GF who lives the other side of the country, I also do the wash then too, since the wash doesn't require constant attention it works well. I do my reading whenever I can, this means carrying the book(s) with you to work or out to appointments but you will never waste an hour waiting for someone.
Take one week 3 credit electives whenever they are offered. My college offers several of these and I took the ones I wanted and needed.
Be Patient, if you know you will have a hard time one semester cut your load to one course or take a semester off, make up for it by taking a summer course.
Good Luck,
Ruth