Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Parenting Issues > College Parents

College Parents Full time or part time student and taking care of kids? Talk to others in your boat!

Old 08-03-2002, 03:16 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thanks TO CATLADY101 AND MTLADY TOO!

Ruth,

Thanks for the tips,I need them.I'm only taking one class at a time,starting with my electives at the community college.I have to do it this way,as I said because of the 4 kids,work and money,and my husband's job. I know it sounds like I'm complaining,I'm actually ok with it like this. I don't feel as pressured .I'm doing all these electives,I expect them all to be pretty easy,well with the exception of statistics and economics! Those I dread and will be the two last electives before officially enrolling in Nursing courses. My house is always "lived in" the only real stress is my husband's job. I'm thankful he has one,and that he has job security, but he rotates shifts every week(he's in law enforcement) ,and works ten weekends in a row before getting a weekend off! Oh, I could go on and on, but I won't ,thankfully he helps me all the time and is very supportive.I know I have a long road, reading everyone's posts helps me know there are others out there,and they understand.
Many thanks to you too, mt.lady for the info on FLY LADY! IT LOOKS TERRIFIC! I KNOW LOTS OF PEOPLE WHO WILL ENJOY IT TOO!
Old 08-06-2002, 06:26 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Pinkie Winky

Good luck with everything! The one thing to keep in mind is "YOU CAN DO IT!!" Perserverence and patience is the key. I went back to school as a single mom of a 3yo and 1yo to obtain my Assoc. Science in Nursing. Later, I went back to school for my BSN with another daughter in tow. Now I'm preparing to start grad school for my MSN with a 12yo, 10yo, 6yo, and 4 month old. My husband is very supportive, but very busy as well. He is starting LPN school the end of this month. He is going to be working part time as well. I'll be taking a weekend-option position so at least I'm not working full time hours. Just know that it can be done. Learn to accept a "not-perfect" house, and take it one day at a time. YOU CAN DO IT! Congratulations on being brave enough to take the first step!
Old 08-07-2002, 08:06 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Momto4girls...Thanks!

Thankyou! I'm almost done my first elective at Community,I have many more to go to get to the BSN/MSN progam.Tell me, honestly...how horrible are statistics and economics.I am totally saving them til last! I won't even care what grade I get, as long as it's passing! Well,thanks for the encouragement,all of us college bound moms need it! Good luck with your girls.I have 2 of each,I don't know if I'd survive 4 girls!!!!!(LOL)
Old 08-10-2002, 10:01 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Just another tip..... You can also go to you local libraryfor you college books. They have to have at least one copy of every subject offered at the college. This will save lots of money. Even if you don't get back in time to renew with the library, paying 5.00 lt chg is better than 50.00 to 100.00 on a book from the college. Good Luck
MTlady
Old 08-11-2002, 09:28 AM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Samlmom,
I hated both but you need them....I took economics at a CC online..it was hard but not too bad, in a classroom would have been better. Statsistics is way too much math considering that most stats are done on a computer now days, it is nice to know the reasoning and a little of the how but I got tests that were all math, not bad to learn how to use a scientific calculator either. Need stats for your research classes in nursing too.
I would take one one semester and one another and not over the summer when everything is rushed. don't let them go to the end or you will be dreading it so much you could freeze up. Take them along with a course you like or one your classmates say is easy. I thought Public health was easy as well as undergrad health promotion, grad HP was a whole other story. Hope this helps.
Ruth
Old 08-14-2002, 05:51 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hello!
Stats wasn't that bad except I hate numbers! You will survive. I start my MSN program a week from Saturday and we ended up homeless this week. Our ceilings collapsed (thank goodness we weren't hurt), and our landlord is just making even more of a mess trying to fix them. My mother just came home after a month in the hospital and can't care for herself either, so I'm tied up with that as well. I'm just about at the end of my rope. I may hold off on school until my mother recuperates a little more, but I hate to give up on my plans. Good luck anyway!