Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Parenting Issues > College Parents

College Parents Full time or part time student and taking care of kids? Talk to others in your boat!

Old 04-03-2005, 06:18 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

College bound child

I have a question for all parents of college age/college bound children. My dd has received acceptances from many colleges and we're very proud of her. The problem is that she always had issues when it comes to making decisions. Since this is probably the biggest decision she has ever made, the stress (and her attitude!) is unbelievable! If we try to help her assess her choices, she says that we are showing favoritism to a particular school. If we try to stay out of the entire process, she doesn't bother to look up the necessary info on her own. She is extremely bright and capable (she has been accepted to UCLA and UC Berkeley along with other great schools), but she has a lazy streak when it comes to decision-making. Our ds is now in his second year of college, and it was a simple matter for him to choose a school. Anybody have any suggestions of how to approach this?
Old 04-08-2005, 05:55 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

We are facing the same challenge. Last year, my son made the decision on his own to move in with his dad. That decision has turned out to be terrible for him, and now we are facing the college decision. He is afraid to make the wrong choice again, because it seems so permanent.
Some good advice that we have received is to make a chart. List characteristics, such as food quality, price, weather, housing, distance from home, etc. listing the things that are important to you, along with some minor things. For each of these categories grade the colleges with a 1, 2, or 3...but no 2 colleges can receive the same score for any category. For example, if you like the housing of school A & B equally, find something to make one better than the other. For housing, school A might get a "1", school B a "3" and school C a "2". After you fill in the chart, add the scores up for each school. I am told that although the schools appear to be almost equal, these tiny preferences will make a difference, and make the score obvious...which will make the decision easier.
I hope this helps. I am really praying for my son to make the decision that is best for him, too.
If your daughter is putting off the decision, perhaps you can make the chart and tell her to fill in the grading numbers. Give her a deadline, and schedule a trip to Steak N Shake for ice cream to discuss the results. Most kids will do anything ending in ice cream.
Old 04-08-2005, 07:22 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Thank you, Theresa! I really like your chart suggestion (by the way, ice cream bribes work for me, too!)!!
Old 04-11-2005, 04:26 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I suggest either a college fair or touring her top choices this will usually help her make a wise choice and will also make you feel better with the one she choses to attend.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:38 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Thank you, Deidra!