Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 04-16-2015, 05:07 PM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Rubber Pants & Diaper Rash/Irritation

Anyone who has ever changed an older active baby or toddler wearing old-fashioned cloth diapers with the old-timey rubber pants, knows all too well, the red elastic rings that said kid sported around the tops of their legs (at times) after the pants were removed (diaper change time), or the redness that occurred within the confines of the elastics around the legs and waistband (a sure sign of classic rubber pants rash), or the blazing red chaffing that would erupt between baby's legs due to the constant rubbing of bulky diapers and rubber pants (Tidemark Dermatitis) throughout the warmer months of the year, regardless of being wet or soiled, but what to do about rubber-pantie irritation/rash.

When my kids broke out with a diaper rash or irritation due to the rubber pants they wore over top of their cloth diapers, I, at times (if the rash or irritation was severe enough) temporarily dropped the use of traditional elasticized pull-on rubber pants (for a few days) and instead, reached for the snap-on pants, which I specially reserved for times when diaper rash/irritation made it's rounds in my home.

Dusting the inside of the rubber pants at diaper change time with a little baby powder, corn starch, or regular ordinary baking flour, helped prevent the rubber pants from pinching, pulling, and sticking to baby's skin. Dusting, also aided in adding a dry and slick barrier between baby's skin and the plastic, helping to keep the pants from binding once damp or wet on the inside.

Changing diapers often is a must-do affair when diaper rash is present (at any time for that matter, but especially when cloth diapers and pants are being used), however, when a rash or irritation is present, changing even the slightest damp or wet diaper the instant you notice it's damp or mildly wet, will further help keep baby's skin in check.

I also used to make up special rash pants when my kids got sore bottoms, where I'd take my cigarette and burn a few holes through the front of the rubber pants to create air-holes. Though ugly as sin, the pants worked super at keeping baby's bottom cooler!

Additionally, checking baby's rubber pants for wetness at change time (elastic openings) will help reduce the occurrence of rubber pants rash/irritation. Promptly change-out rubber pants at first sign of damp or wet elastics, and don't diaper pail the pants. Instead, give the pants a quick freshening up (hand-wash and rinse), then pin the pants up on the outdoor clothesline to air and dry. The natural sunlight will help kill diaper rash causing bacteria in the pants, readying them for additional use over the course of the very same day (if so needed).

Even when I was all caught up on washing diapers (if you can call it that), rubber pants regularly hung from my clothesline (all by themselves) from day-to-day, that way when a rubber pants change was in order, there was always a fresh clean sunlight sanitized pair of rubber pants on the line ready and waiting!

I'd be fibbing if I were to claim that rubber pants never made their way into the plastic diaper pail in my home, however, when time permitted, and if pants were only mildly damp or wet after changing, I did my best to hand-wash and rinse the pants immediately afterwards, followed by pinning them up on the line to ensure I always had a supply of clean and sanitized rubber pants on hand.