Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 03-10-2015, 12:05 PM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

bump!
Old 05-25-2015, 12:54 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I was send this link, even though the only parenting I have is mostly with our cats, and the PT fill in parenting of my DSs children almost thirty years ago. Not once was a cloth diaper used, which is a bit of a shame considering I had to have those humdingers along with the plastic cover panties. The only cloth diaper I ever changed was on my Baby that away Doll (it use to chew, suckle, cry, potty, and crawl - 1970's), and those safety pins were a bugger to close! By the time my first set of (known) nieces and nephews came along (mid 1980's) the cloth diapers had been replaced with the tape side material diapers. The new improved rash-less sleep through the night type. Personally, I don't think the newer ones are any better than the old cloth type are for several reasons, and the main one is that Parents still seem to be very tired after caring for their babies during the diaper years...many even tend to "forget" they have them when out. I would apologize for that comment, but I have seen too many news updates about parents with young children claiming "I forgot..." and the child's life is the consequence. Then there is the financial concerns for the newer version, and of course the environmental ones.
If you see someone in need of help and you can do something, then do something — that goes for people and animals. If you can help out, try. That’s what I hope people take away from this.” -Alex Scroggins
Old 05-26-2015, 06:24 AM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

LOL, KSJ! Yes... I remember the commercials and advertising for rash-less disposables in the 80's! (Yeah, right, rolling eyes). Also remember when the makers of disposables started making their diapers with elastic-gathers, and tapes that you could fasten and refasten, which made checking for a wet-wet or dirty, handy.
Old 06-24-2015, 10:21 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Yes it was! My babies butts didn't wear disposables. They all wore cloth. They also had diaper pins and rubber pants. I used mainly the white rubber pants, I did have a few of the pastels for the girls. The girls usually had dresses with matching bloomers that I made. I also made a lot of my boys first few years clothes. My first experience changing diapers was in the '60's on my brother. Started on him, then another brother,then some friends kids, then cousins, then more cousins, then my own. I have never had a weak stomach or problem with germs so none of that bothered me. If I can pull a calf and keep antibiotic on his momma's infected flank at 7 when I got left alone with the cow, a dirty/soiled/pooped diaper is not gonna bother me.

http://summdaysummway.blogspot.com

Last edited by Sweet Magnolia; 06-24-2015 at 10:24 PM.
Old 06-25-2015, 06:22 AM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Sweet Magnolia. What was the deciding factor that made you choose to use cloth diapers on your children?

I know for me, I wanted to follow in my own moms footsteps... mom was always so frugal and old-fashioned, plus, my aunts all used cloth diapers. Older sister and I, babysat a few baby cousins and changed their diapers. That was back in the 70's.

Immediate and extended family (later years) all used cloth, too, and having spent the better part of a decade and half babysitting around the neighbourhood and surrounding areas as a teen and changing cloth diapers and rubber pants (1970's/80's), my kids were all but doomed (LOL!) to good old-fashioned diapers!
Old 06-25-2015, 07:12 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I never had a defining moment when I decided to use cloth diapers. It was something I just did, no thought process went into it. Just second nature. Breast feeding was the same way.

Someone mentioned their friend from Africa and babies there not wearing diapers. My papaw's sister-in-law didn't use diapers either. This was back in the 30's - 40's. All of their kids say it's the truth.

I don't know why "moms"(yes, we're the ones that normally do it, if you're a daddy reading this, hats off to you) keep kids in diapers(nasty pull-ups are the same thing!) forever now! I assure you it does not cause mental damage or anguish to potty train a child! All 4 of mine were completely trained at or before 16 months. Seriously, when they tell you they need changing or better yet, bring you their clean diaper, yeah time for potty training! I have changed diapers on non special needs children 4 yrs old, it has been more than one this age and this seems to be a growing trend!

Old 06-25-2015, 07:43 AM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Oh, gosh yes, Sweet Magnolia... toilet training seems to have fallen WAY behind nowadays as compared to a decade or two ago. IMO, Pampers and Huggies are much to blame for such.

Wow! 16 months for your kids! My face is SOOO flush with red right now. Embarrassed to say I was changing diapers on three out of four of my kids well past their 3's. Two went on to wear diapers into their 4's. Thank heavens for the diapers and rubber pants I used, as disposables would have sunk us.

The cue for starting toilet training in my home was when my kids started pulling at their rubber pants. A sure sign they were wet or dirty, uncomfortable, and wanted to be changed.

I seem to remember most kids I babysat were out of diapers by age 2 to 2-1/2 years, though I do remember babysitting at a household or two where night-time diapers and rubber pants were still in order for bedtime, and, I definitely remember a few late trainers.

Did you still have to night-time diaper your kids after they were daytime trained, Sweet Magnolia? How about double diapering? Did you double diaper?

Last edited by Miss Money Penny; 06-25-2015 at 08:20 AM.
Old 06-25-2015, 08:58 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

One of mine had nighttime diapers for a few weeks. She decided one night at bedtime she wanted her "big girl panties". I told her if she didn't wake up and potty her bed would get wet. She didn't wear another diaper. Oh, they had an occasional accident, sickness or maybe played too hard and no nap, etc.., but they were few and far between. Oh, at night, when they were in diapers, it was double diapers.

Old 06-27-2015, 10:07 AM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Gee-oh-gee... did you ever do well with getting your kids trained early, SM.

I think with me, I got more and more lax with each child that was born, and when it came to night-time diapers, I tended to use them as a crutch. They were an easy-out for me. It was just too easy for me to call out to said child and say, "OK (so and so), let's go change your bum for bed, and down the hall we'd go to the baby room. A quick stop by the baby dresser to pluck a double diaper from the stack, two diaper pins and a pair of rubber pants, child into crib, diapers and pants on the bum, all done.

Problem solved. No worries or concerns over toileting/accidents. In the morning, rubber pants and diapers were pulled off as a single unit, tossed into the plastic diaper pail, and the day was started. No wet crib bedding, pyjama bottoms, etc, to contend with.

I do also think that with cloth diapers, once you have them, there's no further expense, so putting them to use long after the fact, doesn't put a pinch in the household expense budget/pocketbook, whereas had it been Pampers I was using, I more than likely would have quickly put my foot down (early on) as to buying diapers and using them.

Cloth made diapering (in general) in my home, much too easy, night-time diapering even easier... and in a sense, made me lazy about training my kids early.

Always double diapers (day and night) in my home... triple diapers for night when needed. Always used the old-fashioned flats and white rubber pants.

Last edited by Miss Money Penny; 06-27-2015 at 10:10 AM.