Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average.
Old 07-01-2003, 12:50 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Organizing the bedroom closet

So I pulled the sliding closet doors off of our bedroom closet... Got out the little power saw and began to cut the bottoms off. I'd had ENOUGH of them sliding off of their rail when we tried to move them side to side. They would dive into the carpet and come off of the rail at the top!! So I got out the saw.
Well sawing them turned out to be a bigger pain than anticipated and strangely enough, my dh and I think that the closet looks fine without the doors.
Now he thinks I just need to organize it better and wants to go to Home Depot and purchase wooden shelving and organization systems. BUT!! and here's the catcher...he refuses to have the heavy wire covered ones. Well, the wire ones are nice and half the price of the ones he wants.
I told him to give me ONE week to discover an alterate to his $100 nice wooden shelving unit.
Guys, I am just too thrifty.
Anybody have any ideas??
THANK YOU!!
Old 01-07-2004, 09:57 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Question close closet organization ideas

I am starting to declutter my master bedroom walk in closet and would like to get some advice on the best way to organize and utilize the space I have.

I have 3 wooden shoe racks (2 shelves each). I have four large cloth-lined wicker baskets. There is a rod on each side of the closet for dh and I with one shelf over it.

I am thinking of installing at least one more shelf above to utilize the space. Have any of you put shelving above the door and on the opposite end? I don't have any metal shelving in their, so I don't think I want to add in that type of shelving.

What about storing purses, belts, scarves, etc?
Old 01-30-2004, 04:02 PM
Assistant Moderator

I have shelves in closet and I have those little baskets that you can buy and put scarves and socks and things like that in those baskets.
I also have a belt holder bar in my closet on the wall to hold my belts didn't have to many but that as already in there when we bought the house

purses goes in a basket that goes on top shelf

I also seen where purses holds scraves and stuff to make more room,

the baskets are one thing I just love. of course I am bless for my closet is for me and dh has a closet for himself, my closet is in the bathroom and his in the room
Old 01-31-2004, 03:37 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I'm short, so I have a hard time going "up" in a closet. I love using those lined baskets to hold things, since I can pull them down.
Old 01-31-2004, 08:27 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hi,
Great subject! I am gong to be moving this summer and will be going from a doublr closet (with a organizer) to a small single closet.

Here are a few things I read in a magazine that are helping me plan .

Get rid of anything that you know you have not worn in a year. Then hang all your hangers with the hook hanging out towards you. As you wear and wash things hang them the normal way. In 6 months or a year, get rid of all clothing that has not been turned.

I am going to move the one rod in the new closet down just above the floor (leaving room for some shoes) Then have shelves put all the rest of the way up. I will be putting those lined baskets on all the shelves.

The back of the door is a good place for hooks or one of those organizers with plastic pockets. They sell them for crafts or kids. I am thinking of buying one to put all the stuff I use a lot in. As long as you can still shut the door

You could even buy those shelving units that people put on the back of kitchen cabinet doors. Then you could put all your creams, lotions and things there.

I am also making DH go through all his stuff. He doesn't hang anything, so the closet is all mine.

Just some ideas.
Old 01-31-2004, 08:38 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I have an old camp trunk that I keep in the bottom of my closet. My out of season clothes are kept in there. I was keeping them in the basement but I got tired of hauling the clothes up and down the stairs. Now I just pull out the trunk and switch things around when I need to.
My shoes got kicked out of the closet when I put the trunk in there. I put them in large "under the bed" boxes. The bed skirt hides them and it's neater than having a pile of shoes on my closet floor. (And DH doesn't complain about the number of shoes I have since he can't see them!)
Old 01-31-2004, 05:49 PM
Assistant Moderator

was reading a article and this was some of the things it had in it so I thought I would share:

Closet Clutter
No matter how organized you are, there is atleast one out of control closet in your home. Don't be ashamed to admit it. It is easy to do. Your closet is one of the last places anybody sees. Even you probably don't see the closet clutter often. When you do, the thought of getting the closet organized may be a little overwhelming.
Take control and it may take time to do at first but then take time with it everyday where it doesn't stack up on you.

have plenty of uninterrupted time when you start
organizing your closet. and if you do have to stop then go right back to it as soon as possible. because Leaving your task half completed only creates more clutter.

Begin by taking everything out of the closet first. Don't worry about sorting into categories just yet. Once the closet is emptied, clean the closet. Vacuum the carpet or clean the floors as needed. Scrub the walls down. Don't forget to wipe down the shelves. Do the walls need painting? Maybe some paper to line the shelves with. Just take a little extra time to make it look remarkable. All your hard work will be a waste if the closet looks grubby.
time to put your items back into your closet. As you go through your stuff, get serious and honest about each item. Ask yourself when was the last time you used it. If it has been more than one year, toss it. If you only use this item once a year, try to store it in a more appropriate place. Attics and garages are great storage areas for seldom used items. Just make sure you don't create more clutter in other areas. Store your times in a neat and systematic manner.
Another question to ask yourself is, does this item have sentimental value to you. If it does, then why is it tucked away in your closet. Take it out and display it in a way that shows you are proud of it. If it has monetary value, consider whether it is worth your time to sell it. If you don't have the time or don't want to sell then think of a friend or family member that might enjoy it and give it to them!

most important step is putting your stuff back into the closet. Put like items together. Smaller items need to be put into containers. Pizza boxes, shoe boxes and video tape boxes are all inexpensive organization containers.which can be covered with fabric to create a more unified look.

When everything is back into the closet, and things are still a little cluttered, you need to purge more items. When you have a working system in place, stick with it. A few extra seconds to put an item into its home saves you time later.

Roxanna Ward, Community leader and staff writer for http://www.BabyUniversity.com, she focus of her writing is concentrated on sharing household tips, her experience with her frugal lifestyle
Old 02-01-2004, 05:03 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

my son moved out this summer nad my daughter is in the prosses now so i decided to do some decluttering and reorganizing myself. i been watching shows like clean house so i tok my closet first took everthong out made piles to keep throw away etc. then reshelved the clset with double hanging rods for me and dh and one side long haning with adjustable shelves for sweaters purses etc, i have a belt rack and used clear plastic tubs on shelves for stuff like next years gifts i have alredy started buying now im working on laundry room kitchen next. good luck everyone
Old 09-09-2004, 04:47 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Here are some great tips to keep in mind when organizing your closet. Janet originally posted them in another thread, but they were too good not to post here!

1. Putting like colored clothes together in the closet helps you find similar items quickly.

2. If you keep your clothes on good hangers they're more likely to keep their shape and look better longer.

3.Nice clothes should be kept in nice garment bags in the closet. Label the edge of each one so you are able to find what you are looking for quickly.

4.Closets can be extremely efficient multi-purpose storage spaces.

5.When clearing out your stuff, keeping only things that belong in that space can greatly reduce your clutter.

6.Making the bed every morning helps keep your room looking neat and organized.

7.Keeping one pair of "Skinny" pants is a great way to get inspired to lose weight. Keeping more then that is just cluttering up your closet.

8.Having 15 pairs of identical pants just creates clutter. If you don't wear them, get rid of them.

9.If you own a piece of clothing that's spent a year or more lying around unworn and unused, let it go.

10.If you have a huge collection of accessories like handbags, get real and keep only the ones you actually use.