Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 09-13-2002, 04:21 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hi Taximom.

I am so sorry about your daughter. I am fairly new to this message board but I feel awful for you. I will pray for your family and your daughter, the precious angel. You take care and keep your head up and be strong for that sweet little one.

God bless you and your family.

Stacy
Old 09-13-2002, 04:12 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thank you Stacy!

Thanks for the prayers and nice words. I am doing better I think! I've come to realize that since her condition is so rare, it's not like anyone really understands it, so my friends don't really know what to say and it's just hard to talk about! Venting here has really helped! And knowing that prayers are being said REALLY helps too!

I'm looking forward to a nice weekend w/the kids. They are having a "free spirit" weekend in our downtown area-and lots of places we never can afford to go to are FREE or cheaper! And parking is only $1.00! I'm going to feel like a tourist in my own city! We have the Rock and Roll museum and an Omnimax Theater, a kid's science place...so many things to do! I hope you all have nice weather and a relaxing weekend! Take care. Thanks again!
Becky
Old 09-25-2002, 12:10 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hello Ladies ! It is traumatic to see little ones suffer so. My son just last month has been saying 'mooommmmm mah' and he is 22 months old. I am going to contact the Scottish Rite Childhood Aphasia Clinic to see if Sean is elligible. There is no cost involved.
I have seen many little ones with club feet, malformed hands, scoliosis, and even littles ones that had been burned when I tagged along with Dad to the circus and other Shrine functions. I have seen what good the Shriners Hospitals have done with these kids but I am surprised when those who need it most don't even know about it and I hate to see little ones suffer because a treatment was unknown to the parents so I try to spread the word!
"What's the Shrine?" is a line I've heard too often but rather than tell you everything go to the Shriners Hospital site and check it out. We have Canada and Mexico covered to. I say we because I want to get back active in the Ladies Oriental Shrine; they provide clothes and toys to the hospitals for the kids. They also have tutors! Most treatments used today for burns and some orthopedic problems were developed in these hospitals or by doctors who interned there.
The parents do NOT have to pay for treatment nor does any insurance ( don't even get me started about insurance companies )- the care is provided by the Shriners and their money making projects.

Last edited by BLTN_Mom; 09-25-2002 at 12:21 PM.
Old 09-25-2002, 12:19 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hi Becky. Hope things are going well for you. That was great information in the previous post about the Shriners.

Our son goes to the orthopedic surgeon tomorrow for a surgery followup.

Peace be with you.
Old 09-25-2002, 10:01 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Shriner's/Scottish Rite

Hi BLTNmom! Wow, what great info! I had heard about them, but never thought about it for my child. I'll have to check that website out. Thank you so much! I have also heard about this Scottish rite stuff-but have no clue what that is either? Any webpage for that? Tell me more about your son-I'd love to hear from you.

Hi Julie, I hope the follow-up appt goes well! The things they can do today constantly amaze me. Let me know how it went!

Hi to everyone else that has helped me out! We are busy here. I can't remember if I mentioned it, but we had a change in insurance cos and they don't contract with the place Emily was rec'g therapy. We had to stop for now because it's about $105/week. I'm trying to do things with her that I learned from them, but we were just beginning and I know we need a lot more professional help! Am in process of finding a place that will take the new ins., and there are waiting lists!

Emily has been taking an Omega3/6 oil supplement and it has helped a lot. Today I think she actually said OK! The trouble is with her disorder, she can't remember how to make her mouth say the word again. But it was neat. Taking it a day at a time. 3 older kids are in school all day, and that gives us a lot of time together doing 'therapy' fun stuff. So, thanks again for your support! We go back for more test results to see if (well, confirm I mean) she has some "Sensory Integration Disorders" . That's a whole different type of therapy I'm hearing!

Thanks again for your thoughts and prayers. God has blessed me tremendously.
Becky
Old 09-26-2002, 06:00 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

This Scottish Rite page will let you click on the state to see the different sites and how to contact them. They do therapy for many language problems.

Last edited by BLTN_Mom; 09-26-2002 at 06:03 PM.
Old 09-26-2002, 10:51 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thanks!

I checked that out and there's something here in Cleveland, but the website was down or something-I'll have to check the phone book I guess! Thanks again! Becky
Old 10-01-2002, 02:56 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hi everyone. Just checking in to see how the little ones are doing and to tell you that Rob had his appointment today to review his surgery and the news was very positive. They X-rayed both feet and while they don't look normal, they look good. He sees no need for additional surgery at this time!
Old 10-01-2002, 06:37 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

WooHooooo, Julie !

Hope you will have some news later, Becky !

Old 10-12-2002, 01:01 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Yeah Julie!

I'm so glad no surgery is in sight! That's wonderful!

I do have relatively good news! I have been working with the Early Intervention people in our county and they have been extremely supportive. Emily is now enrolled in a music and movement class for FREE as well as a swimming type class for FREE! Well, I guess it's my tax dollars at work, but still it's FREE! She is also going to have speech, occupational and physical therapy FREE to help her deal with all of her issues.

I'm so happy she is going to get therapy! I would have paid for these of course, and may still if we think she needs more...but it really helps when it doesn't cost since we are a family of 6 and my dh works so hard so I can stay at home.

I will check in later-can't sleep tonight, but am feeling tired finally. I think I still just have too much on my mind even though things are settling down. Thank you for being there (here) for me! Write soon! Becky