Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 05-21-2007, 12:04 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

Barbara, bless your heart. First, I think you are wise to forbid your 13 year old from hanging out with the boyfriend. His mother is inappropriate for leaving a message with your minor, 13-year old DD, after what you have told her. It sounds as thought she probably wouldn't respect your decision while your DD was at her house anyway!

You say the probabtion officer said sociopath. Those are pretty strong words. Was a Hare test or any other assessments used or are they just going on behavior? Many people with some mental illnesses refuse to accept their illness and will not get help. The bad thing is that some illnesses are degenerative and will get much worse without treatment. But, you cannot make an adult take medication without a court order and there will not be a court order until the person is an imminent danger and sometimes not even then.

It sounds like you still have some hope for the 13 year old. At least she is still under your control and you can make her take medication. I know all those diagnoses you mentioned are much easier to treat then the peer pressure that I am sure she is struggling with. I am ever so glad my children are grown because my children were difficult enough during the teenage years without have extra problems. My DS has Tourette Syndrome, ADHD, and severe dyslexia. He is doing fine now, but the teen years and some of the early 20s were difficult.

I hope you are getting support for yourself. I imagine you need adult conversation and others in similar situations to talk to. I imagine there are support groups for parents of children who are mentally ill or who have learning disabilities. Good luck!
Old 05-21-2007, 01:36 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Shizophrenia in children Reply to Thread

Debra,

In case you think I am totally insane, my 13 yo dd does not date. She can go to BD parties for guys with other girls present and parents in the room at all times AND I know them. This guy is just a GUY-friend i.e. GIRL-friend, etc. We have taken her to the movies with his family and us there and they sat in front of us...she bought her own ticket.

She says she isn't interested in him that way, he says he isn't either, but I think he is possessive for someone that isn't interested. So, that is where I put my foot down.

Enough said.

Barbara
Old 05-21-2007, 01:46 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

Barbara, actually the thought of dating never entered my mind. I had pictured them hanging out at school and the mother allowing them to play games or watch movies together under her supervision or vice versa. I pictured what normal 13 year old kids do. But, that mother hounding you and then leaving messages for your DD doesn't sound right to me. It sounds like she is helping the possessiveness situation.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:02 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

DeBora,

I think that she is worried and what ever keeps him "happy"........ BUt she works and has a very busy life. I just don't see my dd as a "pill or potion". She thinks my dd is sweet, which she is, but she is not a cure and her son has to find his happiness within himself. I explained this to my dd. This finally came to a head, about 6 weeks ago and she went into a psyic hospital. This kids mom asked if they could go see her!.....the day she was admitted!!!!! I told her she had issues and they were not in the equation.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:44 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

Barbara, that is so abnormal for her and her DS to want to go visit your DD while she is in a psychiactric hospital. I am so glad that you are setting boundaries. I hope your DD is doing better now. It is so difficult to find good psych help for teens.

Btw, I love your siggy! I am a native Texan and I look forward to getting to Texas in the fall. I miss it!
Old 08-26-2008, 10:16 PM
Three Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Children who have been victims of abuse may sometimes claim to hear voices of—or see visions of—the abuser. Symptoms characteristically pervade the child's life, and are not limited to just certain situations, such as at school. If children show any interest in friendships, even if they fail at maintaining them, it's unlikely that they have schizophrenia.
-----------------
oliviaharis

West Virginia Drug Addiction
Old 08-27-2008, 05:22 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

Olivia, you are incorrect. People who have schizophrenia, can and do make friends.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:26 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I just found this link (actually got it from another post on another thread). My son has been diagnosed with Sensory Integration Issues on the Autistic Spectrum, he also is hearing impaired, has ADHD and stutters (possibly due to seizures- being tested for this right now). My main frustration now is he is beginning to hate school for 2 reasons, he is extremely bright makes wonderful grades (top of his class in spelling and reading) except for Math (cannot seem to get it) and homework takes forever.... so he hates that part of it and dreads it. #2: he feels like he does not have any friends, only one little girl who has MS and is hearing impaired, and this breaks my heart. He is typically a very loving, caring sweet child. Although at home this is not always the case- LOL!!!! Especially when math,homework and chores is involved. And it is very frustrating and tiring. We also don't have many friends (as they seem to look down their noses at his behaviours and I have not learned to not care what they think yet. It is hard, so I understand where you all are coming from, going through. If you need any advice let me know.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:33 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Diedra, you didn't mention the age of your child. But if he is elementary-school age, why not look into a Cub Scout troop? I know that the Council here has a special-needs troop, but we also have quite a few special-needs kids within our own troop. Some kids, we have to require that they bring their own adult with them, at least in the beginning until the troop leaders get a handle on the particular needs of the child and until the child gets familiar with the troop and the leaders. Scouting is a good place for him to make friends and learn new things in a fun environment.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:04 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Barbzy,

Thanks, he is 9 years old, we tried Scouts but it was not the best experience (the other kids did not accept his differences and too many meetings during the week (with way too much homework). We did get him in a 4-H Club which seems to work better. However I think he would enjoy Scouts (wish we had a special needs group like this). If I had time I would start one. Will have to think about this for a while see if I can come up with someway to make it work. Thanks! Deidra