Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 08-09-2002, 09:23 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Sandy, I saw your post on the Wegener's list and that you've been having some bad days recently. Thought I'd check in here instead; that girl's got enough on her hands without worrying about some of the things that could happen to her dd2.

How is your grd doing? Did she get the CHINA status? More to the point, how are *you*? Any chance your own meds might be getting out of balance? A neurologist once told me that fine-tuning the right meds and combinations is like trying to tune in a fuzzy radio station that keeps changing frequencies on you when you least expect it.

Have you found another church yet? Probably very little time for finding the right one these days. Maybe a paradigm shift of sort may be in order -- certainly not *away* from the Savior, but even closer. Perhaps there is something out there that will resonate with your own fundamental inner-knowledge, something that makes sense out of the whys and can give you practical, logical, and rock-solid assurance that there's a pattern and plan for each of us, maybe even give you the tools to learn of your own plan and how to fulfill it.

If you get a few minutes, let us know how things are. You remain in my prayers and in my heart.

-Chris.
Old 08-09-2002, 10:17 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Crauckis I had a nice long post almost ready to sumit and I got an error message so lost it and now I need to go to bed so will post to you tomorrow. okay?

we went to court yesterday and she is now ajudicated to be a CHINA. she has also been assigned to the behavioral facility here is Des Moines.

A friend is one to whom one may pour out all the contents of one's heart, chaff and grain together, knowing that gentle hands will take and sift it, keep what is worth keeping and, with a breath of kindness, blow the rest away.
Old 08-12-2002, 09:05 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Error message! Dontcha just hate it when that happens! And I'm never as witty and brilliant the second time around, to boot. Depending on your connection and your provider, your connection may have timed out while you were writing. I have that trouble all the time at home with our dial-up connection. Gave up trying.

Instead, now I compose plain text in a word processor or note pad first, taking all the time I want. Then open my internet connection and copy/paste the text into my email or list mail. Slam, bam, done and sent on its way with no time-out errors.

Get some sleep. Look forward to hearing from you later.

-Chris
Old 08-12-2002, 01:26 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

On Sat I went to visit DGD and she seems to be handling the decision better that we were feeling she was. Like one for her councelors said as I was leaving - K is K and she will never change - she is in her own little world and she peeks out every once in a while then goes back just as quickly. she was happy to see me for about 5 min and then she was back in her world again. I took her somethings to make her room more homey since she is going to be staying there and she actedlike she was really happy to have the coverlet that I took her - it is one that she has always love to cuddle in at my house.

she sees her therapist tomorrow and I am anxious to talk to him about how to her sister. DGD#2 doesn't want to go see K - she says she is afraid of the shelter. I think she may worry that she will be sent there too and I don't know how to explain things to her. I know that she is being just extra good. Am wondering if she might be trying to make sure that she is good enough so we won't send her away too.

Thank you for your concern and support.

A friend is one to whom one may pour out all the contents of one's heart, chaff and grain together, knowing that gentle hands will take and sift it, keep what is worth keeping and, with a breath of kindness, blow the rest away.
Old 08-27-2002, 12:40 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Well today is the big day. Our grd goes to her new "home" she is moving from the shelter to the pyschatrict facility. It is not where we had hoped but still close enough that we will be able to visit her as often as her therapy will allow. It has been a hard day, yet still one that we know has to be in order that she may one day be able to be home with us again.

Old 08-27-2002, 01:40 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hang in there, Sandy. Sounds like you're doing everything right. Gd's coverlet will be a comfort to her and a link to you no matter what or where she is. You're already in communication with her therapist, so you're staying on top of things. I hope s/he has some suggestions for little sister.

A few weeks ago I was digging around into various therapies and found some articles on theraputic use of hallucinogens of all things! Because mental illness disrupts the brain's chemical pathways and changes the metabolism, drugs like LSD affect these patients very differently than they would "normal" (whatever that is) people. There are some fascinating case studies on the 'Net, but near as I can tell they're not used anymore. Hopefully by now they can duplicate some of those early successes with the safer new generation drugs.

As awful as it sounds, I'm glad gd's sick now and not 10 years ago even. The 'atypical' antipsychotics are so much safer now and don't have the horrific side effects of the old ones.

I'm pulling for both of you, and praying for you too. Keep in touch.

-Chris
Old 05-19-2007, 11:17 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Bump!
Are any of these ladies still here? If so, how are things going now?
Old 05-20-2007, 10:30 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Bump! Are any ladies stillout there?

Still here! My ddtr has just passed another crisis. She needed adjustment in her medications AND there is a boy interested in her and is really demanding of her time. We are trying to limit even the time on phone calls. He has more problems than her and I feel his mom is using her as a "pill" for his problems. I guess as long as she can keep him happy and not depressed it works for her.

My ddtr had a meltdown and wanted to die. She felt like she had to take care of him and not have any other activities or friends. She tried to have him to activities with other friends but he got weird on us. Last week I found out that she is cutting herself, just like this friend. i want to limit her contact with him. I know anorexias shouldn't be with other with the same afflection, nor alcoholics with other ones who are not in recovery.

It may sound cruel, but I think my kid has enough to worry about without taking on someone elses problems and feeling she has to be at someone's beck and call so they won't be depressed! His mom is always calling to get them together, but she is only 13 1/2 and he is 1 year older. WAY to young for that stuff, IMO.

I would like her to get more girl-friends. Seems to me that kids that don't have friends of the same sex have more problems.Agan, IMO.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:44 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

Bacraig, I have been reading your posts. How many children do you have and what are their diagnoses? What are their ages. I think you are wise to limit or better yet, forbid the contact with your DD and the other child. These bahaviors can sure feed off each other. I hope you are hanging in there.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:38 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Shizophrenia In Children

I have 4 daughters of which 1, 13 yo is adopted. The oldest (adopted by my 2 husband @ 6) is soon to be 37 and is bipolar (diagnosed after she moved out/ was asked to leave) She was on lithium the last I heard. She thinks we caused her problems and wants no contact with us. She was diagnosed after she moved out.

The second is 35 is bipolar, ODD, ADD/ADHD, is violent and considered by her probation officers as a sociopath. She has refused all and any medications or help to get it.

Our third daughter (31 YO) has major medical problems, has been diagnosed with llymes disease and has depression-we think- because of the lymes and all the other medical complications that it causes.

Our 4th, (13 yo) is adopted and the biological daughter of our 2nd daughter. ADHD, Bipolar, ODD, and learning disabilities. She is on Concerta for ADHD, Bupropion for depression, Triliptal, and Serqouel.

On my last post I talked about her not having contact with the boy who "cut". He and his mother called several times last night and left messages while we were watching a movie. I had told his mom that she wasn't going anywhere esp. with kids who cut. She wanted to talk later, I guess thinking that I would change my mind. She left a message specifically for my daughter (13 yo) saying that she wanted her to come over, thinking maybe that I would cave in to ddr request to go. I thought that took guts! My dd didn't really want to go, she doesn't have any close g. friends here. She gave him what-for for all the calls as she had told him that she would call back when the movie was over. I think he is "playing her" to feel responsible for his "being down", etc. I let her know that she wasn't in anyway responsible.

Thanks for the inquirery.

Barbara