Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 04-12-2005, 06:04 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hemophilia

My daughter has been suffering with terrible nosebleeds since she was a small child. Several doctors/pediatricans have told me that it's her allergies/asthma or sinus infections that cause it to happen.

Over the past year and a half, she's had at least 2 every day. And not just a little nosebleed, but an all out gusher that seems to never quit.
I decided to take her to another pediatrican, who says that many nosebleeds is NOT normal at all, even for a child who has chronic sinusitis and allergies. I noticed she was sort of pale and feeling bad more often than not but I didn't ever think she was anemic.

Her new pediatrican did some blood tests and said she has a very low red blood count and also her clotting time wasn't right. He is ordering more tests for her and he suspects she may have hemophilia.

He is giving her iron supplements right now and so far today, she's had 2 major nosebleeds.

She also has asthma and right now with the season changing, her asthma is just going full force. She's having to take her nebulizer (breathing) treatments every 3 hours and is currently taking prednisone.
My son has asthma also, but thank God his isn't acting up so badly right now.

I'm about at my wits end, I feel helpless because my daughter is going through this and I can't fix it. And I feel even worse that I allowed her to have anemia for several months and didn't even catch it even though I knew she was looking pale and acting tired all the time.

Does anyone have any knowledge of hemophilia? And are there any others here with asthmatic children?

How do you handle it this time a year when everything is blooming?

My FC Member Awards!
<hr height=3 color=green width=95%>

Honorary Members

Old 04-12-2005, 07:14 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic
FamilyCorner Fanatic

My dh is a hemophila/vonburen SP? Does anyone in your family have it? Its passed on through the woman. If that is what it is I am surprised it took this long to diangnose. My spelling is terrible tonight, but dh was diagnosed when he started cutting teeth.
So maybe its not that?
If you pm me I will try to answer any specific questions you may have. Good luck you and your dd.
Leighann
Old 04-16-2005, 09:27 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I dont have any experience with that problem but if you would like to talk my nutritionist I am sure she could offer you some great advise. I have seen her help many people. You can contact me at [Edited]

Linda

[Edited by moderator. Personal information such as
full name, snail mail address or e-mail address is
not allowed in posts due to security reasons. That
information may be exchanged through PMs. If you
have any questions, please contact Abear]
Old 04-16-2005, 09:53 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

My brother has Von Willibrahns. Which is a rare form of Hemophilia. His started out as nose bleeds also. He controls his with the foods he eats and he also has to take a special med when going to the dentist. He is now having some problems with his joints but I think that is due to his nutrition as well as the hemophilia. Good luck with it.
Old 04-16-2005, 11:52 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Dear Pixiedust,

I have Christmas disease and Von Willebrand's disease. My mom was like you, going crazy over the nose bleeds and no one expected a girl to be a bleeder.

My hemophilia was found when I was 7. I had to have a blood transfusion because I lost a baby tooth and couldn't hold a clot long enough to heal properly. I bled for a month and I had to sleep with a Kotex in my mouth so I wouldn't swollow too much blood. It took 3 months in children's hospital before I was finally tested for hemophilia. We found out that my father had hemophilia and my mother was a carrier.

There are a lot of different types of blood disorders and many different types of meds. Your blood doctor has lots of options.

The best thing that happened to me was that my doctor put me in charge of my bleeding. I had to take thromboplastin shots every time I bled, a few times a week, and they hurt! I kept trying to hide the fact that I was bleeding again and they were afraid I would bleed to death. After I had control I knew it was up to me and I never hid again.

My 1st blood test the nurse said we needed to make sure that my blood was not green. To this day I still watch my tests and smile at the memory of checking for green blood.

Your daughter can live a long normal life with todays knowledge of the diseases that cause bleeding problems. I'm 56 and gave birth to 3 children. Work with your doctors and let your daughter have as much control as you can.

Love & Prayers,
Linda
May God give you for every storm, a rainbow, for every tear, a smile, for every care, a promise, and blessing in each trial, for every problem life sends, a faithful friend to share, for every sigh, a sweet song, and an answer for each prayer.
~An Irish Blessing