Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 04-14-2002, 01:22 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Mono

Can anyone tell me how common MONO is in children?
DGD seems to have it and two of her friends that are younger have it.
DGD is 10. Friends are 8 and 7.
Old 04-14-2002, 06:55 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

mono in kids

I can't find any info on the exact numbers of kids who develop mono, but in less industrialized societies and in lower socioeconomic groups, most children acquire mono by the time they turn 10 years old. In all countries, 90% of adults have had mono at some point in their lives.

Your granddaughter and her friends probably spread the germs to each other by sharing food or utensils. The bad side effects are rare, so your granddaughter and her friends should be fine.

Terri

"I Wish I'd Asked My Doctor..."
http://www.crosshome.com/iwishidasked6.shtml
Old 04-15-2002, 05:31 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thanks, writeterri, we are leaving soon for the dr. to have the blood test. She is not looking forward to that.
Old 04-17-2002, 08:35 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

mono!

Now Here's what I know about mono.
MOno is like chicken pox everybody has had it at least once, few get it a 2nd time, even fewer a 3rd time, I just so happen to be one of the "rare" few that have had it 4 times!!

It's nicknamed the kissing diease (sp?) My first bought was in grade 7 then again in grade 8. (turns out my boyfriend was that carrier)

If One person is a carrier they may not even show signs of illness (little children are often carriers - so I'm told by my doctor)

Mono can drain you like you've got no sleep in months and it's very hard to catch up. I've been misdiagnosed one as it just being a part of my depression *ha*

Other mono affected people I've talked to also have low iron counts (don't know if that's related in any way tho' just an observation)

OH! also don't let these kids do any tough sports as you can easily rupture your spleen and liver and no alcoholic beverages (I was drinking in grade 7! with out my parents knowledge) as this will enlarge the liver too making the risk of rupture greater (I don't know if you can reverse this)

uhmmm what else? ** well can't think of any thing else**

khalua
Old 04-18-2002, 05:21 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thanks for the help.
She does have it. The test came back positive yesterday.
She has only been told to not take gym class this week. That is her only restriction other than she cannot spar in TaeKwonDo class but she can take the class.
When she had her blood test on Mon. the dr. examined her well and said she seem to be fine aside from her tiredness. Her spleen seemed normal as was her belly etc.
My understanding now is that you are contagious at the beginning stages when you might run a fever.
DGD and both of her little friends all started with headache and fever just about a week and a half ago.
We never would have even thought mono except one of the little friends has to be checked whenever she has a fever due to liver problems. That is the only way we would have known.
Looks like what you hear about children having it is true. They just seem to have a virus for a week or so and then get better. DGD seems to be doing much better but still gets tired.
Thanks again!
Old 04-20-2002, 01:44 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Mono

Hi! My son, now 12, had mono shortly before his 5th birthday..only way we figure he got it was by touching his mouth on the water fountain at school....he was extremely tired, missed a week of school, & lost about 5 lbs..he was thin to begin with, so really couldn't afford to lose! It took 3 blood tests for it to come back positive, even tho the doc strongly suspected. He did manage to get out for Hallowe'en tho! LOL...only made about 2 blocks with me, but it was enough! GL with the girls! Hugs...Jacquie
Old 04-24-2002, 06:37 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I had mono when i was 16, I'm now 28. The only way I knew I had it was my doctor gave me medicine for strep. and bronchitis and it made me break out so i went back to do blood test. I was really bad off to have all three at same time. 2 1/2 months i was sick. Couldn't get out off bed for 3 weeks.

I' m glad i won't have to go through that again!

Old 04-24-2002, 08:17 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

more than mono

I hate getting mono on top of other illnesses
my last bought was strep and mono, I had lumps up the side of my neck. It looked like another spine *ack!*

I just went back for another mono test and I'm mono free rigth now But my Iron is really low a 5 the acceptable is 12-200 *oops*, but my throat is getting sore now *sigh*

khalua