Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 07-26-2004, 07:36 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Type 1 Diabetes

I was wondering if there are any other parents on this board with children that are type 1 diabetic. My DD was diagnosed at age 6 and is now 10.
Old 11-12-2005, 03:18 PM
A Member of the Family
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hi! My daughter was diagnosed last year at Christmas - we spent the holiday in the local children's hopsital. She is 7.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:59 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hi Martie and Laenie!! Sorry to hear about your children having diabetes. Not a fun thing. Although I am 34, I was diagnosed as Type 1 just this last February.
How are the kids handling it. I don't know what it would be like for a child. Do they have a hard time with the shots, or do children have to do that? Sorry, I am just unfamiliar with the child part of it.
I have to give myself insulin shots 4 times a day. Still have a hard time going in there to do it.
I would like to talk to others who are dealing with this everyday. Let me know what you are doing to make life a little easier. Let me know how your kids are doing. I sincerely want to know. Thank you for sharing your story.

www.jorabeels.com
Old 11-15-2005, 06:22 PM
A Member of the Family
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hi! Sorry you are also having to deal with this diagnosis. It's not fun as a mom with a child and I'd hate to think I had to deal with it myself as an adult either.

Skylar does pretty well most of the time. She loves telling people the shots don't hurt. One key is to pinch up the skin and punch the needle straight in - not at an angle. Then press a finger over the injection site - DO NOT RUB. I'm trying to remember other tricks we've learned. Skylar doesn't like to give them to herself though so that can sometimes be a problem.

We switched to an insulin pen a few months ago and that has been nicer than having to draw up injections in a regular syringe.

Skylar is on 8 units of Lantus once a day and then she gets Humalog when she eats. At breakfast time it's 1/2 unit for every 10 carbs and for other times it's 1/2 unit for every 15 carbs. She is coming out of honeymoon phase and showing resistance in the morning is the reason for the difference at breakfast.

Yesterday was scary. First off, I was extremely busy and so told her to check her sugar, blah blah blah. Thinking she had done that I asked another question and found out she hadn't checked after all AND had already eaten lunch. ARGH! Of course she was HIGH! So we dosed her for all that.

Thinking she would be fine I had to leave again. As I'm walking out the door I see her eating an Oreo (she's allowed but we have to dose for it) and I ask if she checked her sugar before eating it. I mean, come on! We've been doing this almost an entire year now. LOL! Of course, she said no and I told her sister (2 weeks from turning 16) to dose her and remember about dinner too.

So, my dh calls me and wants to know, since they dosed her at ___time and then checked her sugar and she was still high, what do they do. I give answers and they do it. Thinking she would be down by the time I got home, we checked again. Wrong! Still high. I dosed her again (Normally with this much insulin she would have dropped really low!) but she was still very high. This went on for HOURS last night and even this morning I had to give her extra Humalog.

Then she gets a reading of 80. WHEW! But it didn't last. I've been keeping a close eye on her all day and will be contacting her nurse tomorrow about all this.

We are also in the process of doing "homework" towards her being put on an insulin pump. THAT will be a God-send from what I understand.

We attend local JDRF support group meetings. That is helpful - especially when they have a doctor or nurse visit that gives information you don't remember hearing before. I remember one month we had a nurse educator and she explained more to me about how the Humalog worked and how the Glucagon works and how if you call 911 they won't administer Glucagon.

Anyway, this was probably a lot more than you wanted to know. As you can tell, I don't mind talking.

I hope you have a wonderful week!