Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Food > Recipe Exchange > Recipes for Holiday & Occasions > Christmas

Christmas Share with us your family's traditional favorites, what gifts you'll be making from your kitchen, and any other goodies you love this time of year!

Old 12-07-2012, 01:16 PM
6 yr member
FamilyCorner Addict

Holiday Plans 2012

What are your Holiday Plans this year?

I host a family dinner Christmas Eve. My parents and my sisters and family and our children will be there. I am making a fresh ham, turkey and all the trimmings this year.

Christmas day I make my BLT Casserole for breakfast. For dinner I make ham, string beans and potatoes in the crockpot.

Charlotte
Old 12-15-2012, 08:31 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Charlotte please share the recipe for the BLT Casserole

My turn to host the holiday party, we celebrate with my db's family the Saturday before. Christmas Eve & Christmas Day it is just the 6 of us. I make a breakfast casserole for breakfast and we have beef tenderloin for dinner

Old 12-15-2012, 03:23 PM
6 yr member
FamilyCorner Addict

BLT Egg Bake
Ingredients:
  • 1/4 cup mayonnaise
  • 5 slices bread, toasted
  • 4 slices process American cheese
  • 12 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 medium tomato, halved and sliced
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • 2 green onions, thinly sliced
  • Shredded lettuce
Directions:

Spread mayonnaise on one side of each slice of toast and cut into small pieces. Arrange toast, mayonnaise side up, in a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Top with cheese slices and bacon.
In a large skillet, fry eggs over medium heat until completely set; place over bacon. Top with tomato slices; set aside.
In a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
Pour over tomato. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese and onions. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 10 minutes. Cut in squares; serve with lettuce. Yield: 4 servings.

Charlotte
Old 12-15-2012, 05:42 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I've decided I am doing very little decorations, sending inexpensive gifts bought locally and made in the U.S.A. - If I lived in a different country, I would have sought-out products made in that country, and bought locally to whatever providence I was living in... supporting the financial growth of my community. And by sending them to our younger nieces & nephews, I am helping the postal companies keep people employed, at least for the holiday season. I already "sent" out a little over 30 Christmas; Holiday, and Chanukah paper cards - assisting with the jobs of the Postal carriers. And Lastly, I (we) are going to visit with family-friends we haven't spent time with since June 2010.
If you see someone in need of help and you can do something, then do something — that goes for people and animals. If you can help out, try. That’s what I hope people take away from this.” -Alex Scroggins
Old 12-15-2012, 07:45 PM
Head Moderator
FamilyCorner Addict

We usually spend a quiet day at home since both boys have their own families and someone if not all of them usually have to work on all holidays. This day won't be any different as DS1 has to work and DS2 also has to work their regular schedules.
Going to fix pork roast, potato salad, broccoli rice casserole and colesalw for supper on Christmas Day for DH and me. We haven't exchanged gifts since the boys were born and we only buy for DS's and their families and that is all done and delivered to their houses. I don't decorate any longer as DH never was involved in any of that and since it is just him and I and he could care less it is just too much work for no one to enjoy it. I actually have a "Charlie Brown" x-mas tree in the great room on top of the roll top desk though.

When I was young we used to go "skinny dipping"; now we just "chunky dunk"

“The value of doing something does not lie in the ease or difficulty, the probability or improbability of its achievement, but in the vision, the plan, the determination and the perseverance, the effort and the struggle which go into the project. Life is enriched by aspiration and effort, rather than by acquisition and accumulation.”

― Helen Nearing, The Good Life
Old 12-16-2012, 03:15 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Big Grin

Last week I made the awesome "Mini Dreidel Cakes" recipe that was posted in the FC holiday forum. They turned out great and everyone loved them as our Chanukah dessert!

Old 12-16-2012, 04:43 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I honestly don't know if we'll have a real family Christmas this year.. Since losing Dad in June and Mom almost 3 years ago we won't be going to their home for Christmas Eve or Christmas Day dinner. I know dd and I will fix dinner for Christmas Day at home, but dd and family will be going to a cousin's home for gift exchange and they'll probably want them to stay for dinner also.
I don't really expect my other two dd's to come over Christmas Eve or Christmas Day, although dd#3 may surprise us since we didn't see any of them for Thanksgiving.
I'll be working Christmas Eve until 4 pm so we're trying to plan something easy for dinner.. I'm thinking about deli trays (if I can afford them), otherwise I might just pick up the stuff for homemade pizza and salad (I'd much rather have oysters and shrimp, but that's out I'm sure.. maybe after the New Year)
I have Christmas Day off, but go back to work at 3 am the day after so I'll be getting to bed earlier than usual (something I really hate)
Christmas dinner will probably be: turkey and ham, collards, mashed potatoes and gravy, sweet potato casserole, broccoli casserole, stuffing, corn (on the cob, if I can find it), dilled cucumbers. Haven't figured out the desserts yet.. planning on getting an Italian Cream Cheesecake we're carrying for Christmas, want to make a Tameo Cake (brown sugar frosting cake) and make or buy pumpkin and pecan pies too..
Old 12-17-2012, 11:41 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

well as it stands, my dd as asked me to come to her house and found me a way to get there to spend chrirstmas with her. She wants me to stay a few extra days, but I am going to play it by ear and see how things goes for Christmas then make my decision.
I asked her to keep it a secret from the gd's and gs as they would love seeing me at thier door, it would make thier day..
Old 12-17-2012, 11:51 AM
6 yr member
FamilyCorner Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bar_bar View Post
well as it stands, my dd as asked me to come to her house and found me a way to get there to spend chrirstmas with her. She wants me to stay a few extra days, but I am going to play it by ear and see how things goes for Christmas then make my decision.
I asked her to keep it a secret from the gd's and gs as they would love seeing me at thier door, it would make thier day..

Barb I hope you have a great time with the your daughter and family.

Charlotte
Old 12-17-2012, 04:03 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Location: I live in the foothills of Maine and near a major river. The area is quiet but we can be in a large city that has everything that you would want to visit. WE're two hours from Old Orchard Beach and it is so beautiful
Barb, have a super time with your family. Our Church and all the other Churches in our area are getting together to provide Christmas dinner for the shut in's and people that are alone or can't afford to make a big meal. Or people that are just lonely and want to be with others. I'm making at least 6 pies and at the moment have 8 dozen cookies to bake off and still more to make. this is going to be a free dinner for those that want one. I've never seen such giving people as these in this town.