Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 12-10-2005, 08:32 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Christmas Traditions

What traditions do you have for celebrating Christmas.
Maybe when/ how you decorate your tree?
What you do on Christmas Eve?
When you open gifts?
Do you have a favourite thing that you cook each year?
Maybe we can spark some ideas to help others make memories with their families too.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:22 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

No one is allowed to open presents till Christmas morning. Ham and scalloped potatoes is my fav meal Christmas dinner because it allows me the freedom to be in the room with the tree and gifts and family. every one stops in some time before one.Have done other oven meals once in a while . One year we just had a brunch buffet for everyone . Had warmer trays and made stuff early and as they came they could eat...scrabbled eggs,bacon,ham,sausage,french toast bisquits, bagels, and all the condiments . also had fresh fruit and hash brown casarole. hummmmm maybe I 'll do this again.... Got my taste buds jumpin'!
Old 12-10-2005, 10:22 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

On Christmas Day, we like to beging with a large resh fruit platter and croissants for breakfast, while we open our Santa sacks (even the grown ups). That way, if the kids don't get much good stuff for the rest of the day, it doesn't matter too much!
Old 12-11-2005, 11:46 PM
Assistant Moderator

On Christmas eve we take a walk around the neighbourhood to see all the houses with lights on, even though our house is covered in fairy lights to.
On christmas morning the kids will have one present that they can open in their sacks that are hung on the ends of their beds, that keeps them occupied until at least 5.30am and they wake us up.
We then have breakfast of ham and eggs with little croissants.
Then the mahem starts and our presents for each other are opened, photos are taken and a general mess made.
It then depends on whose side of the family is hosting lunch and then dinner and we go to their places.
This year christmas dinner at night is at our house . Roast Lamb and potatoes with ham and lots of salads, to hot here for full hot vegies.
We have a wonderful sleep in on boxing day.

Fave foods and we start making 2 weeks before christmas day, christmas cakes ( I make muffin sized ones to give as gifts) rocky road and chocolates also to give as gifts.

Wow that seems a lot LOL

Last edited by Bilby; 12-11-2005 at 11:49 PM.
Old 12-18-2005, 09:13 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

For Christmas Day the kids will wake up and look in the stockings that are hung on our banister this year. Then they wake up my husband and I. We all go downstairs and I get coffee, LOL, and everyone picks a spot to sit at near the tree. One child will go up and pick a present, read who it is to and from and give that gift to that person. [you are not allowed to pick your own gift] and then that person opens the gift, we all get to see the gift and the expression and hear the thankyou. Then they go up and pick a gift and so on and so on. It takes us about 3 hours to open all the gifts. I like it this way because everyone gets to see what everyone else got, all thank you's are said and hugs given. When we are done, everyone takes their loot to their rooms and we begin a big brunch of french toast, pancakes, eggs, bacon, sausage, english muffins. Later that evening we will have a huge turkey dinner. Although sometimes we will not do turkey and do like baked Ziti and stuffed shells.
We do not have any christmas eve traditions other than to watch christmas shows and drink hot chocolate. I would like to start one though.
As for decorations and tree. We used to put up lights etc the day after thanksgiving and get our tree on Dec. 1st. But this year we are in a new house and can't do what we used to.
Fish3711

Old 12-18-2005, 09:34 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

Steven and I go to church normally on Christmas day but this year will not be. We eat a simple breakfast. I MAY make French Toast sometime on Christmas Eve and put it in fridge for breakfast next morning depends on how busy I am otherwise.
We open presents after I get back from church but this year will be after we eat something. Due to Gina leaving 23rd for S Dak with her BF she had the boys open their gifts from HER and Kent yesterday and even let Judy open one lol. I was not here but gone with Susie and buying last minute things etc and exchanging our gifts tho' we do not open till Christmas day.
Our dinner this year will be Turkey breast, small ham, rutabagas (I love them) mashed potatoes/gravy, my sweet potato concoction, green peas, and other veggies to make sure all have something they like. Stacie and boys will be here too so should be a nice day.
Well I have rattled on enough for one time, take care all
Old 12-18-2005, 12:15 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Christmas traditions

My kids are 24 and 19, and all of our ornaments have been made or collected by us over their lifetime. So decorating the tree is really a Family Tree. I put the tree up and the kids hang the ornaments. This year, my son's girlfriend came over and it just tickled me to see her soaking up his whole lifetime-in-ornaments! Like the Santa made by tracing his handprint and glueing on cotton balls... in kindergarten. What girlfriend wouldn't think that is adorable!

Every year, hubby and I make this casserole before going to bed Christmas Eve and it's ready for the next morning, when his sister and her family came over for brunch and opening gifts. I would put out muffins or bagels or coffee cake, OJ, and this crockpot-quiche, and that is the EASIEST Christmas brunch in the world! All make-ahead except brewing the coffee! This year, though, they aren't going to be coming. It's just the 4 of us. So everything is on a small scale, which saddens me. No one else is really into it this year. Other than the tree and hanging the wreath and one gift to each person, it's all really Christmas Lite this year and probably not bothering with the recipe either. But here it is, for those of you who want an easy and yummy make-ahead:

Southwestern Style Sausage, Egg & Cheese Breakfast Casserole
18 eggs
1 small can green Ortega chilis
1 lb. cooked breakfast sausage
2 1/2 C grated Monterey Jack or Pepper Jack cheese
1 med. onion, diced
1 green pepper, diced
1 tsp. butter
Serves 10
Grease crock with butter.
Starting with sausage, layer meat, chilis, onions, peppers and cheese, repeating the layering process until all ingredients are used and ending with a layer of cheese.
Beat eggs, then pour over mixture in the slow cooker.
Cover and turn on low.
Cook for 7-8 hours.
Serve with sour cream or fresh salsa.

Rani
Old 12-18-2005, 02:01 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

We have too many Christmases to have any real traditions of our own. Our first Christmas is the 1st Sun. of Dec & the last is generally the Sat after Christmas (this year the last one won't be until Jan 7th). In between those two we have another 4 or 5. This year I've decided that on either Christmas Eve or Christmas Day we will stay home, just dh, the kids & me. My husband & I have been married for less than 2 yrs, so hopefully over the next few years, as we get holidays figured out, we'll be able to start our own Christmas traditions.
Old 12-18-2005, 08:09 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Thanks for sharing the recipe Kaspercat. I copied and pasted it to use later.

When my children were growing up, we always opened presents in the AM, after Santa came and after we had a cup of strong coffee! (The kids never went to sleep before 1am as they were too excited to sleep and they always awoke about 5am.) The night before the children would set out some homemade sugar cookies that we baked together and Christmas milk (eggnog) for Santa. We'd always go looking at Christmas lights before we set out the treats for Santa.

On the morning of Christmas, we always let one person open one gift at a time in turn until everyone opened their presents. Of course, the stockings got dug into first! LOL

These days things are different. DH works graveyard shifts and unless his days off happen to fall on a holiday, he isn't off. Plus, now that DD is married they alternate holidays with her DH and our house. So, the only tradition we still have is the stockings and looking at Christmas lights.

Bobby Labonte Official Page Facebook

FC Welcome Wagon : Need help? New to FC? Just ask me!
Old 12-18-2005, 11:43 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

We don't have a set date for getting the tree up. A grown-up always hides a pickle ornament on it. German tradition has it that whoever finds the pickle on the tree gets an extra present. Grandma started this and hides one on hers too.

On Christmas eve we (Dh and kids) go to church. We use to go to midnight mass but that was too long and tiring on the kids. Santa does not come until two children are sound asleep.

On Christmas morning the kids wake us up we move Jesus to the manager, and the presents are opened, the last year or so the kids have sorted them before they wake us up. Breakfast is whatever.

Then on to Grandma's we go where we meet up with my family, eat lunch and open presents. Dinner can be turkey or ham, consistent is green beans, corn pudding and macaroni and cheese, others vary.

Then in evening we go to dh's mom's to be with his family. Usually have a brisket there. Then open gifts.

It makes a long day for us. My family has never celebrated Christmas Eve except for going to church. However my brother and his wife goes to her family Christmas eve and my dh's sister and her ex always celebrated Christmas Eve with his family so we could not start that tradition.

Children have never been very good at listening to their parents, but they have never failed to imitate them. Baldwin ~