What gifts have you started already? - Page 22 - FamilyCorner.com Forums
Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 10-04-2003, 10:54 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I haven't started any crafts yet as I've been finding such great gifts, new, in the thrift shops. Yesterday, I found the coffee mug with heater unit, retail $5-9, $.50, unopened! I was going to put it with the Christmas stuff, but a friend is having a birthday so will get it today. Saved me a trip to find a b'day present too!
Old 10-04-2003, 12:45 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

One of the Goodwills around here has

Brand new items as well...but right now it's all Halloween things so I'll have to wait on Stocking Stuffers...
Old 10-04-2003, 03:13 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I found an old .......1950's? aluminum cooler @ the fleamarket today. It was only $3.00, and will make a perfect addition to my b/f's growing aluminum collection. Found the bottle opener w/cap collector last month for a dollar....so I'm about done with his Christmas. Going to decorate the opener with either Heineken labels, or the Buccaneers logo.

Old 10-06-2003, 08:50 AM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

demiglace

sorry so long to respond....

I season the bones of choice up w/ salt and papper and maybe garlic and roast them for a long period of time till they are nice and brown and the juices are flowing.

Then I transfer them to a stock pot cover with water and some root veggies like carrots, onions and celery and cook until I reduce the volume like in half or three quarters. Strain this. It will thicken as it reduces, it becomes gelatinous when chilled and a small amount like a Tablespoon or 2 can be used in a stock, or in a sauce to give it a fantastic flavor.

The bones are cheap but it is time consuming, I wouldn't even say labor intensive. But it takes all day.

Chefs buy theirs already made and it is very expensive.

Since I get my bones very cheap ( 10-20 cents a pound) I can make it cheaper except for time and then I can go about other things while these roast and cook. Sometimes I even use a crook pot to do the stock part with the lid 1/2 off . That way I can leave it unattended all together.

I made beef veggie soup and added a spoon of it to it and the flavor was fantastic.
It also freezes well.
Ruth

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
Old 10-06-2003, 10:26 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Ruth - Mmm, this sounds so good! I think I'd like to try it. How do you roast the bones? Do you can this in jars when you're all done?

Carol

Old 10-06-2003, 10:50 AM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

demiglace

I just lie them out on a cookie sheet, there will be grease and I dump that into the stock but I degrease it before I store it. I am not sure if it can be canned, I guess it could in a pressure canner but I usually just freeze mine, or use it within a few weeks.
Ruth

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
Old 10-06-2003, 10:54 AM
A Member of the Family

My recipe was featured!
FamilyCorner Admirer

Has anyone ever made homemade vanilla? I read a long time ago about taking a cheap bottle of vodka, adding a vanilla bean and waiting three months. Then you have real vanilla. Anyone hear of this or try it? I am very interested as gifts this Christmas if it really works.

Benjamin Franklin
Old 10-06-2003, 11:00 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Ruth - thank you so much, I'm going to try this!

Carol

Old 10-06-2003, 11:03 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

OmommyO -

I found this one.....but it says to use bourbon.

HOMEMADE VANILLA

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Gifts Condiments

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
md To high quality BOURBON
FRESH Vanilla beans -- few

Mix some medium good to high quality BOURBON with a
few FRESH VANILLA BEANS. Cut open beans length-wise
(slit them). Put in a big crockor jar with boubon
(lots). Let age for 2-3 months. Transfer to smaller
bottles. Decorate with cute label and red/green
ribbon. Good homemade vanilla. Include a recipe using
Vanilla (cookies, french toast, etc.)

Old 10-06-2003, 11:07 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

More Vanilla Recipes.....

HOMEMADE VANILLA

There's very little that compares to the tantalizing aroma of vanilla. A small decorative bottle filled with homemade vanilla makes a great stocking stuffer or gift for cooking enthusiasts.

TRADITIONAL VANILLA

INGREDIENTS : (Makes 8-ounces)

1/2-pint Vodka
4 Vanilla beans
Seal tight bottle or container
Decorative bottle

1. Using a sharp kitchen knife, cut a lengthwise slit down the middle of each vanilla bean.

2. Cut vanilla beans into 1/2-3/4 inch pieces.

3. Pour vodka into your container.

4. Add vanilla beans to container and shake.

5. Wait and shake. It will take 30-days for the vanilla extract to mature. Once each day, vigorously shake the container for 30-seconds.

6. Once the 30-day cycle has finished, strain the liquid through a colander or coffee filter and place in decorative bottle.

BRANDY VANILLA

INGREDIENTS : (Makes 8-ounces)

1 cup Brandy
1 whole vanilla bean

1. Place Brandy into seal-tight container.

2. Add one vanilla bean.

3. Wait. It will take 3-weeks for vanilla to cure properly.

4. Pour into decorator bottle.

TIPS

FOR added visual appearance, use vanilla beans to decorate. Tie small vanilla beans to the outside of the bottle's lid or add a small, uncut vanilla bean to the inside of the bottle.

FOR even stronger, more potent vanilla extract, allow the liquid 6 months to one year of sitting time.

MAKE your own label using common stick-on address labels and attach to the outside of the bottle.

BUYING vanilla beans at a natural foods store will be less expensive than picking them up at the corner market.

VANILLA keeps its natural flavors best when stored in a dark colored, airtight, corked bottle.

SMALL corked decorative bottles can be purchased almost anywhere.

TIE a recipe card to your decorated bottle for brownies, pies or cakes which require vanilla.

GIVE your gift of vanilla with the extract's recipe attached.