Gift Ideas for a Large Family - FamilyCorner.com Forums
Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 10-23-2006, 05:52 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Gift Ideas for a Large Family

Do you have a large family to buy for, but a small budget?

Please share your ideas here!

Here are a few of my favorite ones:

* Games, Puzzles, something they can all do together.

* Basket of fruit & goodies..sometimes this is appreciated so much, for alot of us cannot afford fresh fruit & goodies..so it is a treat!

* Snack Containers- Give each member a different small container with his /her favorite snack inside. Then the whole family can mix or match, share and refill..lol

* Coupon for Ice Cream..it gives the family a chance to go all together to the ice cream shop!

* Fill a basket with video rental coupons, popcorn, candles.

* Buy a Family Video for the family..make sure they have a player for it first.

* Music CD the whole family will enjoy

* Computer games..again, make sure they have a computer first.

* Large cookies, with each family member's name iced on it.

Janet
Old 11-02-2006, 08:13 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

I'm not sure this will fall into the "small budget" catagory. But I know a large family that we're buying a gas card for. And of course there will be the customary basket full of homemade goodies that the mom never has time to make herself. Also, and this a a freebie, an offer for a day of babysitting the littler ones so Mom, Dad, and the older siblings can take a break!!
Old 11-04-2006, 06:29 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I know that this may not really be considered a cheap gift, but I still like it and it did save me money...My brother in law has 9 kids. There's just no way I could afford a decent gift for all of them. So we bought a family membership for our zoo. It's something they all will enjoy and was at least half of what I would have spent on them individually.
Old 11-04-2006, 06:32 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

By the way, I like the gas card idea and I do think it's a cheap budget thing. You can usually buy them in any amount. And I don't know about any of you but I'd be thrilled with a $5-10 gas card. It's still a help.

Hmmm... I may ask my parents for one for Christmas and then save it for summer to take the kids on road trips that would otherwise be to costly...
Old 11-05-2006, 05:22 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Nice Ideas!!!
Old 11-06-2006, 07:58 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

I like the membership idea--and not just for the zoo. There are museums and theaters, too, that someone might appreciate. One year I bought a gift certificate for a friend of mine to a place that rented hot tubs by the hour--she and her dh loved it!!

Another thing that you could do: Cook a few freezer meals and take them over. You can make huge batches of things like chili or mostaciolli(sp) that will last for a while, until the rush of the holidays is over. Or make a few Christmas ornaments for them. One thing I'm doing for a friend that lost her brother is making a photo-frame ornament out of one of his favorite shirts. It's small, but will be very meaningful to her, and she's not obligated to display it at all times unless she wants to.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:37 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

There are some a good ideas!!!
Old 12-02-2013, 01:54 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

My family has extended a few times over, and has chosen to go the way of past generations, which has purchased a few small items for the grand kids only. The usual one box of clothes or gift card equivalent to an item of clothing a child wanted. Then a few odds and ins bought through "bulk" merchandisers. Then there are other sections of my family which has chosen to do the "pick-a-name" game. That's when everyone in the family's name is put in a hat or other closed item, and everyone is suppose to pick one name for one person to buy a gift for. There is usually a "fixed" price before the name draws occur. Lucky for me, my name is never entered into the grab bag, nor do I ever have to purchase a gift for anyone person... that is besides DH, but even he prefers I not spend money on something he hasn't given me explicit details about...it's just a shame he doesn't follow his own rules, b/c I have allot of jewelry I never asked for, nor wanted - but someone on his side of the family convinced him every women needs at least one to make her feel special and/or loved. Not necessarily this gal.
If you see someone in need of help and you can do something, then do something — that goes for people and animals. If you can help out, try. That’s what I hope people take away from this.” -Alex Scroggins
Old 12-22-2013, 02:47 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Location: I live in the foothills of Maine and near a major river. The area is quiet but we can be in a large city that has everything that you would want to visit. WE're two hours from Old Orchard Beach and it is so beautiful
My dad had 9 brothers and sisters so there were many nieces and nephews. One of my aunts made chex party mix in volume and she gave each family a box of chex and homemade cookies. I am carrying on that tradition as I have 18 grandchildren and 5 great grandchildren so many nieces and nephews I have lost track. My paternal grandmother just gave up on gifts for all of us. But, I remember one Christmas she made me doll clothes all made by her own hands and a sofa and chair made from tissue boxes and upholstered with fabric. They looked like something that you would buy but only better because Gram made them from her own pattern and hands. No sewing machine was involved.