Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 08-14-2004, 08:02 AM
FamilyCorner Senior Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Since we just got a new printer with a scanner, copier, and printer that was an idea that came to me the other night!! It would be great to have her get them in my mom's handwriting and I have a few that are in my grandmothers handwriting. It's also going to be alot easier on me!!

So, that project has become easier for me to do and alot faster to accomplish!! Thank goodness!!!
Old 08-14-2004, 09:15 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Lightbulb Family Cookbook

We did this for my Sister-In-Law and she LOVES it.

My sisters and I got together and decided who would write out which recipe. We wrote little notes like "This was Dad's favorite for Sunday dinner" or, "A Christmas tradition started by Auntie Ann."

We purchased special recipe cards and put them in a really nice wooden recipe box. Each recipe was covered in a protective sheet, and we included blans ones for her to add. The first recipe card attached to the lid has a dedication that reads something like - "This is a treasure chest of our family recipes. Given with LOVE to our newest Sister."

Whatever you choose, however you give it to her - I'm sure she will treasure it always!
Old 08-14-2004, 09:22 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

Great ideas!!! So many of them!! Good thing I have been writing them down!!! Thank you all so very much!!
Old 08-14-2004, 09:33 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
shesmom, I would love to be your SIL! What a wonderful gift to receive!!!

Tami

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 08-14-2004, 09:58 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

blushing

AWWW - sniff.... Thank you so much!

It took no time at all to do, because there were 3 of us, and my sisters remembered some of the recipes that my Mom or Babci made before I came along - they are quite a bit older than I.

It was a labor of love, and I got to copy some recipes for myself.

ONE MORE THING!!! BE WARNED - my Mom and her sister, until their dying days, disagreed over what my Babci put in her Stuffed Cabbage (Golumbki). My Mom swore it was only hamburg and my Auntie Stella was just as convinced that she put in half pork and half hamburg. My brother and I fight over what Mom used for the sauce/gravy - (I KNOW I'm right because I HELPED her make them and he didn't.) but he said it tastes just like hers

Anyway, it is AWESOME, FUN, and we LOVE our sister and had a BLAST reliving some of the old family stories!

Debi
Old 08-14-2004, 10:27 AM
Banned for SPAMMING
FamilyCorner Admirer

I use two programs. One Master Cook Suite to add the recipes and the other is WinWord off Microsoft. I divided the pages in half and started adding. I am, after ten years of hard labor, almost done with ours. It has family, friends and a huge collection of my own. I wish you luck. You might want to have everyone in your family who has a computer add theirs into the computer and maybe add it to your program. It is an ardious task and I for one don't see an end to because a new and old family cookbook just came into my hands. Sigh. Good luck, if everyone works together, it might be done by Xmas.
Old 08-15-2004, 10:48 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

There is something to the idea that the recipe in your own handwriting will be a treasure for another family member.

When I was in graduate school I had to spend Thanksgiving away from home and family. My roommates and friends were in the same boat so we decided to divide up the work and make a Thanksgiving dinner. I was in charge of turkey and stuffing. So I wrote to my grandmother and asked her to send her stuffing recipe.
I still have that recipe that she wrote down for me. A good friend of mine just helped me laminate it and then i put it in my recipe binder. I don't have my grandmother anymore but I do have that little piece of her
Old 08-15-2004, 11:02 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

Ya'all are going to have to bear with me, cause that blasted thing is popping up all over the place today. Whenever I try to open something, post something, it doesn't seem to matter what it is.

It would be nice if there was someone else she wanted recipes from, but I have all my mom's and my grandmothers and my dad's mother's recipes. Not to mention, I am the only one who does all the Holiday cooking. I am going to call Hubby's mom and get her to bring some of hers so we can scan them in her own handwriting and I am going to call the 3 aunts that are left on my dad's side and see if they have any in my great-grandmothers handwriting for me to scan. Unfortunately, since my mom passed away, my mother's side of the family has sorta ignored the fact that we exist. I am going to try to get hold of one of the aunts and see if she will cooperate with this effort, but I am not holding my breath.
Old 08-15-2004, 05:38 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

This is a present I gave to my daughter and two dil's. I bought 4x6 blank recipe cards (I like better than the small 3x5), typed all of my favorite recipes and also from family & friends that I had received over the years and printed them out. Bought wooden recipe boxes and decorated them. Bought tabs that you can stick on top of a blank card and wrote in the catagory (cookies, cakes, desserts, casseroles, breads, salads, vegetables, etc.) You can also just buy the A-Z index cards and file that way, but I do like the individual catagories. This way if there are some they don't like after they have tried them, they can just take them out and throw them away and they can also add new ones of their own. I saved all of the recipes and keep adding to them and when I am invited to a bridal shower I can just print out some that I want and give this as a gift. I have received many compliments on this idea. How ever you do it, I know it will be loved.
Monnie :-)
Old 08-16-2004, 07:43 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Cookbook by Christmas [Christmas of what year]

Some years ago I made a Genealogy/Family Cookbook for Christmas presents for our 2 DIL's & Dau. It consisted of family favorite recipes of my family, DH's bunch plus all the cousins I'd met along the genealogy trail. The book included our Family Tree, many pictures of our children, family, pets. Plus, as I remembered funny words or happenings, I'd include that. On several pages our cat sat and I outlined his paw. If a grandchild was handy while working on project, their hand print would be outlined. So much of our life and history was put into that book. That was 14 years ago and as I thumb thru the pages I can't help but weep a little...the cat's paw was our precious cat of 19 yrs we recently lost. Those tiny little hand prints now belong to a beautiful young lady expecting her first child.

Put your heart and soul into your book. Buy the largest 3 ring binder and as you type your chapters add them. If you are not finished by Christmas, give her what is done with a note she'll get the rest as your done with it.

Once started you'll find it hard to do anything else. I began another cookbook last year for our youngest son and our teenage granddaughters. The chapters on Poultry, Salads, Appetizers and Pies were finished, in computer, when computer crashed. I'm eager to begin again and, hopefully, have it done by Christmas-2004. There's not that much more to do ,then....... the task of retreiving chapters from old puter.

I wish you well and if I can be of any help, please email me.

If you desire something other than a 3 ring binder there are numerous websites than will print your cookbook. Our local library also offers that service. I chose the binder because we wanted to continue adding to the book as new babies were born, new recipes----just anything of interest to our family.

Good Luck!

HelenGloria

GOD bless our troops and keep them safe from all harm.
GOD bless America

Doulas MacArthur