FamilyCorner.com Forums

FamilyCorner.com Forums (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/)
-   Christmas Decorating (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/christmas-decorating/)
-   -   When Do You Take Down Your Christmas Tree? (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/christmas-decorating/9105-when-do-you-take-down-your-christmas-tree.html)

tapeugh 12-29-2003 12:23 PM

When do you take down your xmas tree?

Hubby and I are disagreeing on when is the proper time to take down the Christmas tree & decorations. He is saying that tradition is after the first of the year and I am saying that it is before the new year. I know each comes from different family traditions but I was just wondering what the majority of people do.

ajrsmom 12-29-2003 12:39 PM

Most years I wait til around the middle of January or later to do it but this year since I decorated so early, Im taking everything down Jan 1st. :) This years tree wasnt the healthiest that weve had ( losing lots and lots of needles) but it was a very pretty tree. We want to get it out of here because of the mess and the fact that we dont want it to become a fire hazzard of any sort.

Personally, Im ready to clean house now and decorate for Valentines Day ( Amanda printed a great heart decoration in one of the newsletters this week). Im also ready for Spring.....LOL!! Am I thinking ahead or what??? :daisy:

Tami

trainlady 12-30-2003 08:34 AM

I Don't!!!!

peace,train:daisy:

ladyinmaille 12-30-2003 11:18 AM

We try to take ours down on January 1st. We've already started putting away the Santa collection now numbering over 100 and have the stockings and stocking holders put away numbering 28. I have 3 small trees and they are undecorated but the big one remains. Shutter. lol

Txchef_fran 12-30-2003 02:11 PM

New Years Day tradition in our family but I have a friend who leaves theirs up until 1/12. I personally am sick and tired of all the clutter by then since I put mine up Thanksgiving weekend. (They put theirs up Chrsitamas Eve.)

I am NOT ready for Valentines Day yet! ROFLMAO BUT I am ready for my yearly New Year scouring of my home which I do the weekend of the New Year. Makes me feel like I am starting my New Year off right with a clean house and no clutter!!!:angel:

tapeugh 12-31-2003 05:17 AM

We put ours up on Thanksgiving weekend too and I am ready for things to return to normal as soon after Christmas as possible. I did read something online about the Jan. 6th bad luck date as well.

I like having my house clean and ready for a new year too!!

janieb 08-25-2004 04:27 AM

We wait until after the first of the year!

danstigerangel 08-29-2004 03:24 PM

We take ours down on Jan. 1st or maybe the 2nd!

Always keep it up for New Year's Eve!

:-: Lauri

Irish Angel 08-29-2004 07:01 PM

We celebrate Epiphany also so our tree is usually up from Thanksgiving Day… (it is a family tradition to decorate on Thanksgiving night ) until January 7th.

In Mexico the kids believe that the three kings deliver their presents on January 6th (really works out with all of the after Christmas sales…ROFL just kidding )
There is not “bad luck” beliefs though, in facts many families don’t put trees up although many have taken on a lot of our US traditions.

I really enjoy the season. I don’t see it as “work”. We try very hard not to allow the season to be materialistic and find the season fun and not “overwhelming”. I the atmosphere so I am not usually in a big hurry to take the tree down!

redcardinalbird 08-30-2004 07:01 PM

We always leave our tree up until Jan 6 (the twelfth day of Christmas) or after. We love the decorations and all. If we had the room it would stay up year round and be decorated for the different holidays.