FamilyCorner.com Forums

FamilyCorner.com Forums (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/)
-   Christmas Decorating (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/christmas-decorating/)
-   -   Christmas Lights (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/christmas-decorating/5063-christmas-lights.html)

Juliecc913 12-03-2002 03:24 PM

I think that that one of my questions also basically was, when does it become stupid to be so frugal to spend two hours for $5.00 strands of lights? Thanks for pointing out that issue when I didn't even see it but felt it. The poor guy was so frustrated and then to buy the new strand and have it work for all of 5 seconds!.

Anyway, you all have give me several good ideas on how to do things and I appreciate it. Thanks.

kimmyo 12-04-2002 07:22 AM

We reuse our lights every year. Some of the sets we have, have a fuse in the plug that can go bad. You will know if the lights you buy have a fuse because they come with extra bulbs and extra fuses. The fuses are very easy to change. You just pop the little top on the plug open pull out the old fuse and pop in a new one.:)

emajmom 12-05-2002 08:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have a craft that i use little lights with......

I take a rose bowl /Ivy bowl ( get them at the dollar store) and fill it with potourri, meanwhile intertwining the potpourri with the xmas lights.....
Make sure the the plug end is sticking out of the top ot the rose bowl.
Cover the top with a doilie and wrap an elastic around to keep it in place.
Decorate (hide) elastic with ribbons and flowers....etc.....
Plug in the light and it heats up the potpourri and gives your house a wonderful smell.

Juliecc913 12-05-2002 02:13 PM

How pretty. What a sweet idea. Thanks.

darilynk 12-06-2002 11:22 AM

Christmas Lights

Julie,
I too have Christmas lights from 15+ years ago. Each year I check the strands as has already been described, checking the bulbs and fuses. Years ago I found a small, 9 volt battery operated light tester. It was in the same area as the exra bulbs. It has been invaluable. There are a few things that I didn't see above. One is that these lights have two copper wires that fit into the holder. Sometimes these wires need to be bent out gently in order to form a better contact. Next is to make sure you are getting the right volts when you buy replacement bulbs. They may need a different volt depending on the light string you are putting them in. I have a faux tree that I store in two large green containers made for that use. (Kmart, Target, etc. have these on sale just before and right after the holiday.) I always gather the strings and put them in a plastic bag, then put them on top of the tree branches in the tote, along with any extension cords, twist ties, etc. that I need to put up the tree. I include the battery tester and replacements too. This makes it simple when putting up the tree the following year.

Maybe the most important thing in using old strings is to honor our environment and teach our children that money is not more important than limiting the amount of garbage we create. I know it is easier and less frustrating to buy new, and if there is any question of safety it is necessary to throw out an old string. I do keep the spent bulbs and make earrings and pins out of them.

Blessed Holidays to you all.
Darilyn

bonnie50 12-06-2002 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by emajmom
I have a craft that i use little lights with......

I take a rose bowl /Ivy bowl ( get them at the dollar store) and fill it with potourri, meanwhile intertwining the potpourri with the xmas lights.....
Make sure the the plug end is sticking out of the top ot the rose bowl.
Cover the top with a doilie and wrap an elastic around to keep it in place.
Decorate (hide) elastic with ribbons and flowers....etc.....
Plug in the light and it heats up the potpourri and gives your house a wonderful smell.

emagmom,i have one just like that,on my counter in the kitchen,and they smell so good,i have to other vases like that but will go and get the lights and maybe make a couple more,those are very pretty.

hapiladi 12-07-2002 04:24 AM

Christmas Lights

This is in reply to Sue L. She suggested making a cloth swag from old Christmas light strands. Could you please tell me how to do that? It sounds interesting and since I love to try new crafts, this might be right up my alley. Now you got me thinking, Sue, of other uses for the old strands.
Personally, I hate to throw anything away, and try to recycle what I can.
As for our lights, there is not many that end up getting thrown away, as we sit and work with each strand before we try to use it, by plugging in and checking first, the fuse and then, by checking out each bulb. Sometimes this can cause my DH to jump up and down ^^ in frustration; so I am certainly going to invest in a bulb tester for sure this year!
A blessed Christmas season to all, with less stress and lots of happy family memories for next year!

Sue L. 12-07-2002 09:11 AM

Rag Swags

hapiladi,

Just tear or cut strips of fabric in whatever pattern fits the occasion you are making the swag for (Christmas plaids are nice) 1-1/2" wide and 12" long. You can have some strips 1-1/4" wide for variation. Tie the strips on the light string until it is as long as you want it. Weave one of the shorter (20 bulb) light strings in among the rag strips. Attach whatever decorations you want. I have one with snowmen heads and a snowflake at each end. Loop a wire in each end to hang by and tada you have a swag. They really turn out beautiful.

Sue L.

benmormommy 12-09-2002 01:02 PM

We also reuse our lights from year to year. Every single year putting the lights on our artificial tree we ended up frustrated and exhausted before we even started to decorate the tree. I like to wrap each and every branch one by one to get a very bright tree. Our tree comes apart into 3 large sections. Two years ago we wrapped each section of the tree individually so that at the end of the season we can easily unplug the lights, wrap the section in garbage bags and then a large tree disposal bag and store it in the attic until next Christmas. I have 14 strands of lights on my 7.5 foot tree and it took me about 20 minutes to have my tree set up and lit from the time I got it out this year.

kcarskc 12-10-2002 03:27 AM

Xmas lights.
I have found that the best way to store lights it's what I learned from my dad years ago. Hold onto the last light bulb of the strand in one hand, then skip the next one, put the third one in your hand and skip the fourth and so on. When you get done, you have all the bulbs (lights) at two different ends and the extra cord can be used to wrap around and tie off. Then just store them in ziploc bags labeled as to where they are used, such as mantle lights, banister and so on. It drives me crazy to see people spending hours untangling lights! Hope this helps.
Happy lighting!