Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 11-09-2003, 08:58 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

We don't generally start putting up outside decorations and tree until first or second week of December. DH wants to put the tree up earlier this year so conceded to doing it possibily Thanksgiving weekend. We love to decorate at our house and do a lot more outside as not a lot of room inside. But will put a little up in each room. We also keep all the decorations up until after Jan. 6.

Children have never been very good at listening to their parents, but they have never failed to imitate them. Baldwin ~
Old 11-09-2003, 09:18 PM
Assistant Moderator

WOW I can't believe it's a whole year since this discussion started and it's coming to christmas again
Attached Images

Old 11-10-2003, 10:00 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Time has really flown. I cannot believe it is almost here either.

We saw the first Christmas tree up in a window yesterday!

Children have never been very good at listening to their parents, but they have never failed to imitate them. Baldwin ~
Old 11-10-2003, 11:46 PM
Assistant Moderator

The state newspaper has a competition every year for the best front yard and lights display. I have seen 2 houses really decked out with lights so far, judgings start and the winner is known on the 30th Nov.
We always have our lights ready to turn on on the first weekend in Dec (give or take a day or 2 )and that is when we put up our tree.
Unfortunately this year we have redesigned our front garden and so have to hurry up and finish it so that we can put up our lights soon. We left the redesigning a little late.
We have 4 weeks of school left for the year then Summer holidays for 6 weeeks here we come!

Old 11-11-2003, 12:36 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hello everyone!

Boy you guys are making me feel good!
I used to be the family joke. We don't celebrate "Halloween" and people used to tell me that I would have the house done by then if I could! :p
Oh well!
Now that I have gotten older I guess I want too savor each part to the season. We generally decorate Thanksgiving day.I so enjoy Thanksgiving! As this year we are spending the month in Mexico, we won't have much decorated here :mad: Maybe, not sure.
We have a blast there though.

Admit your mistakes so that NO ONE else can exaggerate them
You can NOT amputate your HISTORY from your DESTINY~ Beth Moore
Old 11-11-2003, 07:48 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Wow Bilby that is early to get the lights done for a contest. There would be a lot of contenders here. There are several that have thousands of lights, animation etc. One has a ferris wheel on the roof, another a roller coaster that comes down the roof and into the yard, they have big stuffed animals as their riders and another the owner plays Santa each night. One of the local news has one house on each night starting in Dec.

I guess it is not bad putting the lights up in warmer weather! I have been out there in freezing weather doing ours. Do you all have big plans for your summer break?

Old 11-11-2003, 08:03 PM
Assistant Moderator

Redcardinalbird
I supose it is early to put up lights and do the christmas thing but we don't have thanks giving between now and then. I think the lights for the comp go up now to be judged early because when Dec hits, families, us included have a lovely evening walk around the neighbourhood, in nice warm conditions, to see what people have put up, and the really good ones we take a drive to. It's lovely on a friday, sat or sun night to just go see the lights and huge sets that are erected. I think the machinations of some of the huge ones must keep the whole street awake!!
Planned for the summer holidays? Not to sure we will be visiting Seaworld down the coast to use our waterpark pass, a very cheap yrly one, and maybe stay a night. Not much though. Our usual holiday is every 3yrs and we go away for a week to anywhere, this year maybe Rockhampton, 8hrs nth and still in our state!!
How long do you have for christmas, 1 week?

Old 11-11-2003, 08:21 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Bilby
I knew that you all did not have Thanksgiving but was thinking two months of lights and most people would be tired of them. But then there are ones like us that could look at them for awhile and all the work that goes into them. We also like to walk and look at the neighborhood lights but have to bundle up. We also drive to the better ones and "tour" those. We joke that we could just keep our tree up year round and decorate it each month for that theme, ie Valentines Day, Birthdays, Easter, Mothers Day....

Our kids will be out for two weeks for Christmas and New Years.
We stay around town as parents live here.

We don't always go on big trips every summer either.

Old 11-11-2003, 09:28 PM
Assistant Moderator

I totally enjoy driving around and looking at the christmas lights and display, last yr a couple and us went down to a famous place call Marshall to see as thier own town almost decorate and boy do they draw in the people around that time.

I want to take my gbabies out this yr to look at lights too. daughter does this with them, but as they are getting older where I think they would be fun to see lights I want to take them too.

Our town has a square that we decorate up for others to come to look at.

I decorate the inside as I can handle that but the outside since Dh cannot lift over 10 lbs he can't do the outside but I do have a star I put up. I just mostly love to look at othere decoratied places as well as all the displays.
Old 11-11-2003, 11:07 PM
Assistant Moderator

Ahhh I see, the lights and decorations go up early but they don't usually go "ON" until Dec so I made a bit of a boo boo there.