Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 11-17-2002, 04:40 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Christmas Villages

Does anyone do Christmas Villages? And if so, do you make some of your own accessories such as snowmen, chairs, people, trees and well just anything. I am building a Christmas Village and I am interested in making some of my own crafts for it. Does anyone have any suggestions or websites?
Felicia
Old 11-29-2002, 05:57 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

blushing

I HAVE MADE MY OWN CHRISTMAS VILLAGE, AND WHEN I FINISHED THE BUILDINGS I SET IT UP THEN I DECIDED WHAT KIND OF ACCESSORIES I WANTED, TO START OUT WITH I MADE A POND USING PLASTER PARIS OF SARAN WRAP TO FORM THE SHAPE I WANTED LEAVING THE MIDDLE OPEN SO I COULD SIT IT ONTOP OF A MIRROR, JUST MAKE IT BIG ENOUGH TO COVER THE MORRORTHEN I JUST USE SOME GLITTER PAINT TO GIVE IT A SNOWY SHINE. i ALSO MADE SNOWMEN OUT OF PLASTER PARIS JUST BY MIXING IT ALITTLE THICKER AND ROLLING IT INTO THE SIZE OF BALLS I WANT AND STACK THEM TOGETHER, THEN PAINT ON THE FACES (I USE TOOTHPICKS SINCE THE FACES WERE TO SMALL FOR A BRUSH), I ALSO MADE SOME BENCHES USE SMALL SQUARE DOWELS USING A EXACTO KNIFE CUT TO DESIRED SIXE AND GLUE TOGETHER. THEN I MADE SOME OLD FASHION STREET LIGHTS FROM THIN WOOD DRAWING IT OUT FIRST THEN CUTTING THEM OUT WITH MY SCROLLSAW AND PAINTING THEM. THERE ARE ENDLESS THINGS YOU CAN DO, START OUT BY GOING TO A STORE THAT SELLS ACCESSORIESFOR THE VILLIAGES AND LOOK AT THEM AND DECIDE WHAT YOU CAN MAKE YOUR SELF, I HAVE HAD ALOT OF COMPLEMENTS WITH MINE BECAUSE THEY ARE UNIQUE AND THERE WAS ALOT OF WORK AND THOUGHT THAT WENT INTO THEM, JUST LET YOUR IMAGINATION RUN WILD IT WILL BE AMAZING WHAT YOU COME UP WITH, KEEP US POSTED ON WHAT YOU DO COME UP WITH. HOPE THIS HELPS.
Old 10-22-2004, 10:25 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I have a Fisherman's Christmas Village that DH completed buying every peice of last year. (It took 5 yrs. to do it in!)

Unlike craftymom I just use the collection peices and the white snowy mat you can buy by the roll to sit it on.
Old 12-14-2005, 07:50 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

We get a new piece every year to add to our village. We put it on the white sparkly mat then after we get village where we want it we drop the fake snow on top of that for a more real look. It has snowflakes on houses, bridges, etc. It lookes real good. The extent of my craftiness of that is making a little skating pond out of an old round mirror and some plastic wrap. I did have one bigger tree that I put in the town sqare area and hot glued some ornaments and small tinsel on it so it looks like a town square tree.

TX Chef Fran
Old 12-14-2005, 06:51 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I wanted to share my pictures of my Christmas villages and I thank sweetmaggie for helping me set them up. I have more pieces that goes with these, LOL just not enough room to put them all. Maybe someday I will get to display them all. I hope you enjoy a bit of my favorite part of Christmas. I like to collect pieces all thru the year.
Attached Images

"The thoughts you entertain are the seeds from which your actions grow."
Old 01-04-2015, 06:43 AM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

What a darling thread this is! I have a weakness for all things village. I would love nothing more than to have the room to collect such villages, but our home is so tiny there just isn't any room for extras.

Each year I find myself gazing in through shop windows to admire and dream about the porcelain villages they have on display. Some with lights, some with moving vehicles and figures, some with music...
Old 12-18-2015, 03:09 AM
Head Moderator

bump