Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 11-19-2006, 05:11 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Barbsy..I like this idea..they get there Christmas Eve.....I never take mine down until after "little Christmas" but never did it your way...I have a beautiful set ...rather large..done in the Hummel technique..that I did in the early 80s..each pc. is signed and dated..everyone is amazed that I actually did it myself...used to have a steadier hand in those days...lol..
I put my tree up on the day after Thanksgiving to give that date its honor..
Usually put outside lights up the same day or when I worked that weekend..the last two yrs..I was either in NJ or the hospital so it wasn't done...I also put up a village that I have added to during the years..the buildings are all Norman Rockwell .....A large angel that Holly gave me gets a special display..it is really neat..it plays 3 different songs and the wings and head move....
Name:  Jesus is the Reason.gif
Views: 47
Size:  2.8 KB
Old 11-19-2006, 05:18 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

Barbszy I like your way. I really do. If I had my wreath which Gina is going to make will be in form of cross. I saw it on QVC and liked it so we hope to duplicate it.
Oh this has nothing to do with this thread but got the envie from your Steve yesterday. Will act on it soon.
Old 11-19-2006, 06:41 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

We have been doing our decorations this way since our Big Kids were little. We found that they were confused if the whole house was "instantly Christmas" weeks before the actual day! By decorating little by little, it would help them anticipate the holiday, when ALL the decorations were done. It is a tradition in Polish families (not sure about other nationalities) that the youngest child gets to place Baby Jesus in the manger scene either before bed on Christmas Eve or first thing in the morning. This year I bought Luke one of those Playmobil Nativity Sets. I will keep that on a low table so he can play with it all he wants, arrange the pieces, etc. That will come out on the first Sunday of Advent. Margaret, my mom, great-aunt and now my sister have those ceramic sets. My sister got my grandmother's set. They were handmade by another family member and are beautiful! Our set is just a cheesy (but breakable) one from Sears. It was what we could afford, the first year we were married. In some ways I'd like to get a more beautiful one, but I always think that it was our first set, and we honor the holy day no matter what the set actually looks like.
Old 11-19-2006, 07:17 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hi Patti.
A wreath in the form of a cross? I'd like to have the directions to make that. Could you take a picture of it & put it on the computer to show us?
As for me I start decorating inside our house after Thanksgiving. I keep the decorations up until after the New Year too.
Take care all & have a safe Thanksgiving.
Sandy1970
Old 11-19-2006, 07:52 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

Oh gosh the wreath is just FRESH branches of pretty much any greenery you like (tree wise that is) and then it is put together and then decorated how ever you want it.
They were selling them un decorated either on HSC or QVC for $39+ and to me that was way tooooo much to spend so after she saw it told me she would make me one so am hoping she still can/will. BUT I don't have digital that works worth a plugged nickel and don't know how to put it on here if it did.
Old 11-19-2006, 09:57 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Lunatic

I guess I am the early bird to put up decorations for Christmas already.Usually I leave everything until the second week of December.

But this year,well I put the Christmas tree up on Friday,decorated it with lights,snowman and tinsel.Got the lights up in the living room window,decorated the rest of the living room with garlands that light up with snowmen.Did the doorways with garland,and above the sink in the kitchen,have my Christmas table cloth,placemats and napkins on the dining room table,and even presents under the tree.

I did this for my granddaughter Nicole,who passed away this year,she loved Christmas and it is my way of having her here with us.
I did ornaments for all my kids and grandkids to hang in the doorway.I just have the lights in the kitchen windows to do and hubby will do the outside lights on his time off next week,and it is beginning to look alot like Christmas here.
Old 11-20-2006, 05:09 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Sounds easy enough to make the wreath PattiG. I would'nt know how to do pictures on the computer either.
$39 is way too much to buy one. I hope she will be able to make it for you.
Sandy1970
Old 11-20-2006, 06:38 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

Me too we were talking about it yesterday. She has a pretty one on their door now but has ordered yet another one soooooooooo may this year just go ahead and take the one she has on her door now.For sure that was toooo much $$ to pay for it. Happy docorating all
Old 11-20-2006, 07:08 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

growing up we would always decorate the day after my birthday because it was a week after thanksgiving. since i've been married, we try to keep the "tradition" but we usually end up being out of town then
Old 11-29-2006, 08:53 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Decorating in stages

Usually I decorate in stages. I try to get the outside wreaths up by Dec. 1st. I put out out the garlands & wreaths on the porch today. The icicle lights stay up but we started turning them on this past weekend.

Inside I have two kitties who have never been known to not accept a challenge so the last few years we have just had small table top trees & not our traditional big one since it has been just my husband & I. The kids haven't been down for Christmas for several years. I put out the Christmas village & the a couple nativities. If I have time I do more decorating inside. We also use Christmas dishes from Thanksgiving to Epipheny.

Happy Holidays!

Pippe