FamilyCorner.com Forums

FamilyCorner.com Forums (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/)
-   Christmas Decorating (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/christmas-decorating/)
-   -   Are you an early decorator or do you prefer to wait until it's closer to Christmas? (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/christmas-decorating/16101-you-early-decorator-do-you-prefer-wait-until-its-closer-christmas.html)

ajrsmom 12-11-2005 07:49 PM

Are you an early decorator or do you prefer to wait until it's closer to Christmas?

:ctree: I have always been one to decorate early. I love seeing all of my decorations throughout my house, the tree all lit up and my Christmas cards hanging where everyone can enjoy them too! :snowgrin:

Still, There are some who prefer to wait until Christmas is near.

Which type of decorator are you?

DeBora4BobbyL 12-18-2005 08:12 AM

Things have changed since I have moved and am living in 2 different places. But, usually, we decorate the tree on Thanskgiving day as part of the Thanksgiving tradition. Then, on the next weekend or DH's day off, he does any outdoor decorating. However, as soon as it is New Year's Day, everything comes down.

redcardinalbird 12-18-2005 11:09 PM

We get the outside decorations up the first week of December. However, the inside decorations are not always put up right away. This year the tree is going up tomorrow as the kids are now off to help. It kind of depends on what we are doing and when we can get the time. We do leave our tree up until January 6. Sometimes it is up after that even.

Bilby 12-19-2005 04:20 PM

We put our inside decorations up the 1st of Dec and the outside fairy lights etc go up a coupla weeks earlier but don't go on until the 1st either.
The shops have so much christmas stuff Aug/sep I refuse to go any earlier than my Dec.

Cam1952 12-21-2005 08:54 PM

I love to decorate early, but sometimes, it's almost Christmas Eve before we get things done. Then, I leave the lights, tree and everything up till the first part of January. :cmaspres::ctree::cane::ministock

Bilby 11-18-2006 04:05 PM

:ornie:Today is the day 19th Nov 2006 that we have started to put up our fairy lights along the fence, garden and roof line. Turn on date 7pm fri 1 Dec.
:twinkle: Let the christmas decoration fun begin LOL.:cmaspres:
Over the next couple of weeks we will find our big box of decorations, see what's what and put up our tree on 2nd Dec.:santa:

Pag36 11-18-2006 04:41 PM

Lol untill I read your post been thinking it is 11th I am a week behind lol.
Bought tree today one with Fiber Optic ends and got 2 strings of blue lights to put on it. Getting my ornaments together slow but sure. Will not put it up hopefully till next Friday after Thanksgiving unless Gina comes over here and decides to do it.

sweetnell3 11-18-2006 04:54 PM

It depends sometime the tree goes up the day after thanksgiving or sometimes the 2 weekend of Dec. as we don't know where the tree will go as where we usually put it up has something there this year.

Bilby 11-18-2006 05:02 PM

I don't have the thanksgiving part of decorating to consider LOL, even the kids are starting their Christmas countdown as it's also the school year to finish countdown to summer!
The kids always want to help put up the decorations but no one wants tohelp take them down, sigh

barbszy 11-19-2006 02:29 AM

Looks like so far I am in the minority as a "Late Decorator." We have a system set up, where we gradually decorate the inside of the house as we get closer to Christmas. Each Sunday of Advent (this year, beginning December 3) we do part of the job. The First Sunday we put up our door wreath and our manger scene with NO figures in it, and we bring out the Advent Wreath. The Second Sunday we do most of the house decorations. The Third Sunday we put up the Christmas tree. The Fourth Sunday we put the animals in the manger scene, but no people yet--they get there Christmas Eve. All outside decorating is done when DH's schedule and the weather permits.

jrztomato 11-19-2006 05:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Barbsy..I like this idea..they get there Christmas Eve.....I never take mine down until after "little Christmas" but never did it your way...I have a beautiful set ...rather large..done in the Hummel technique..that I did in the early 80s..each pc. is signed and dated..everyone is amazed that I actually did it myself...used to have a steadier hand in those days...lol..
I put my tree up on the day after Thanksgiving to give that date its honor..
Usually put outside lights up the same day or when I worked that weekend..the last two yrs..I was either in NJ or the hospital so it wasn't done...I also put up a village that I have added to during the years..the buildings are all Norman Rockwell .....A large angel that Holly gave me gets a special display..it is really neat..it plays 3 different songs and the wings and head move....
Attachment 15526

Pag36 11-19-2006 05:18 AM

Barbszy I like your way. I really do. If I had my wreath which Gina is going to make will be in form of cross. I saw it on QVC and liked it so we hope to duplicate it.
Oh this has nothing to do with this thread but got the envie from your Steve yesterday. Will act on it soon.

barbszy 11-19-2006 06:41 AM

We have been doing our decorations this way since our Big Kids were little. We found that they were confused if the whole house was "instantly Christmas" weeks before the actual day! By decorating little by little, it would help them anticipate the holiday, when ALL the decorations were done. It is a tradition in Polish families (not sure about other nationalities) that the youngest child gets to place Baby Jesus in the manger scene either before bed on Christmas Eve or first thing in the morning. This year I bought Luke one of those Playmobil Nativity Sets. I will keep that on a low table so he can play with it all he wants, arrange the pieces, etc. That will come out on the first Sunday of Advent. Margaret, my mom, great-aunt and now my sister have those ceramic sets. My sister got my grandmother's set. They were handmade by another family member and are beautiful! Our set is just a cheesy (but breakable) one from Sears. It was what we could afford, the first year we were married. In some ways I'd like to get a more beautiful one, but I always think that it was our first set, and we honor the holy day no matter what the set actually looks like.

Sandy1970 11-19-2006 07:17 AM

Hi Patti.
A wreath in the form of a cross? I'd like to have the directions to make that. Could you take a picture of it & put it on the computer to show us?
As for me I start decorating inside our house after Thanksgiving. I keep the decorations up until after the New Year too.
Take care all & have a safe Thanksgiving.
Sandy1970

Pag36 11-19-2006 07:52 AM

Oh gosh the wreath is just FRESH branches of pretty much any greenery you like (tree wise that is) and then it is put together and then decorated how ever you want it.
They were selling them un decorated either on HSC or QVC for $39+ and to me that was way tooooo much to spend so after she saw it told me she would make me one so am hoping she still can/will. BUT I don't have digital that works worth a plugged nickel and don't know how to put it on here if it did.

BuddyBeanieBaby 11-19-2006 09:57 AM

I guess I am the early bird to put up decorations for Christmas already.Usually I leave everything until the second week of December.

But this year,well I put the Christmas tree up on Friday,decorated it with lights,snowman and tinsel.Got the lights up in the living room window,decorated the rest of the living room with garlands that light up with snowmen.Did the doorways with garland,and above the sink in the kitchen,have my Christmas table cloth,placemats and napkins on the dining room table,and even presents under the tree.

I did this for my granddaughter Nicole,who passed away this year,she loved Christmas and it is my way of having her here with us.
I did ornaments for all my kids and grandkids to hang in the doorway.I just have the lights in the kitchen windows to do and hubby will do the outside lights on his time off next week,and it is beginning to look alot like Christmas here.

Sandy1970 11-20-2006 05:09 AM

Sounds easy enough to make the wreath PattiG. I would'nt know how to do pictures on the computer either.
$39 is way too much to buy one. I hope she will be able to make it for you.
Sandy1970

Pag36 11-20-2006 06:38 AM

Me too we were talking about it yesterday. She has a pretty one on their door now but has ordered yet another one soooooooooo may this year just go ahead and take the one she has on her door now.For sure that was toooo much $$ to pay for it. Happy docorating all

sabrina-arbonne 11-20-2006 07:08 AM

growing up we would always decorate the day after my birthday because it was a week after thanksgiving. since i've been married, we try to keep the "tradition" but we usually end up being out of town then :)

Pippe 11-29-2006 08:53 PM

Decorating in stages

Usually I decorate in stages. I try to get the outside wreaths up by Dec. 1st. I put out out the garlands & wreaths on the porch today. The icicle lights stay up but we started turning them on this past weekend.

Inside I have two kitties who have never been known to not accept a challenge so the last few years we have just had small table top trees & not our traditional big one since it has been just my husband & I. The kids haven't been down for Christmas for several years. I put out the Christmas village & the a couple nativities. If I have time I do more decorating inside. We also use Christmas dishes from Thanksgiving to Epipheny.

Happy Holidays!

Pippe

Bilby 11-29-2006 09:38 PM

The excitement is starting to brew the decos boxes are down from their yearly hiding places and our advent calendar is out in waiting for tomorrow morning Dec1
It's starting to feel a lot like christmas time!!

michelle623 12-12-2008 10:49 AM

I like to start decorating the day after Thanksgiving since we don't get our real tree until the second week of December.