FamilyCorner.com Forums

FamilyCorner.com Forums (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/)
-   Christmas Decorating (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/christmas-decorating/)
-   -   What do you do with the Christmas cards you receive? (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/christmas-decorating/13410-what-do-you-do-christmas-cards-you-receive.html)

barbszy 12-10-2004 08:08 AM

What do you do with the Christmas cards you receive?

Some people put cards in a basket, some use them for crafts, some display them.

What do you do with the cards you receive?

I punch a hole in each card, string a ribbon through and hang them from (fake) pine garland in a couple of places in the house. All the picture cards go in a certain spot.

ajrsmom 12-10-2004 08:22 AM

I have one wall in my living room that displays my cards. It is the first wall facing you when you walk into my house so I use it to create my "masterpiece". :-D

I recevied so many compliments last year on my "wall of cards", that I couldnt wait to do it again this year. My son counted them last night and there are 18 up there so far. :) I think that I had around 50 last year.

Its one of those happy things that you cant help smiling when you look at it because you know they are all from friends and family. :heart:

Txchef_fran 12-14-2005 08:41 AM

Display

I have one of those wire wreath card holders so once you get it filled with cards it looks like a wreath. I hangs right by front door. It has a snowman in center of it.

Growning up we had a long hall that overlooked the sunken living room divided by a half brick wall. My parents would run tinsel garland down it tacking it up every 2 feet or so and when the cards would come in we would hang them on there. I like that best but have no where except on wall to to that.

I used to use one of those icture trees where you can place pictures on a tree thing. Except it doesn't hold many and falls over it not evenly weighted.

Sapphire 12-14-2005 04:34 PM

I hang our cards up on the doorway frame to our living room. We just tape them at an angle. It's a wide doorway so that helps. I go down the sides & across the top & if necessary, use other doorways.

My grandmother always did this & I loved it. I plan to frame a few of the cards but I generally keep them from year to year. They make nice memories of years past.

trainlady 06-23-2006 06:33 PM

Our Christmas cards are kept on our kitchen table year round. They are in a basket. Each night we "draw" a card and pray for whoever the card is from. Mark and I alternate drawing a card and saying a prayer. A good way to remember your friends yearound!!

hugs, train:gimmee:

ellenmelon 06-24-2006 06:09 AM

Train, That is the coolest thing ever! I will do this now.

Pretty much our cards get packed away into a box somewhere after their month long display on the open cupboard in the living room. Maybe someday I will paper a wall with them? They are like those interminable balls of string bits that people collect.

One year we made gift tags and one year I did send them to that hospital for recycling. But other than that, they get looked at each Christmas when we take out the decorations but for the most part sit in a box all year.

barbszy 06-24-2006 06:42 AM

Train, that is a really sweet idea!

This year when I took the cards down, I gave DD a hole punch and some scissors. I had her make gift tags out of the ones with pretty pictures. We never did this before but she was old enough to do the job, and looking for a project that day.
Now if I can only remember where the HECK I stored the things, so I can be ready to wrap gifts & put the cute tags on ROFLMAO

newcrafts 09-27-2006 07:44 PM

We also tape ours around the doorway in the living room
Kind of like a family tradition
Its nice to display them where you can see them

Bilby 10-03-2006 05:35 PM

I hang a string from one ond of the curtain rod to the other and hang the cards, I slip a paperclip on them to make sure they don't blow off in the breeze of the open window. I use as many windows as I need.
I hang all cards and the kids hang thiers the same way on thier bedroom windows.
After chirstmas I keep the cards I wash to make tags from or recycle to make my own new cards the rest go to school with ds2 so the class can make decorations and thier own cards to give out.

Candy 10-03-2006 09:05 PM

Train that is beautiful.
I have glued small pinecones or sticks or cinnamon around picture from card and then put ribbon or material as a hanger on back topped with a bow. I made some of my mom's into these permenant pictures.
I also have use them to decorate storage boxes for Christmas stuff by decoupaging them on. Also decoupage the pics either entirely or cut out on paper mache boxes for gift boxes and even onto small sleds and shovels for gifts. My friend puts holes around the edge and crochets a lacy frame then uses them as tree ornaments.