Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 10-22-2004, 10:18 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Spinner Ornaments & Bubble Lights

Some of the best memories of Christmas time growing up was my mom's unique (or so I thought) ornaments that were cone shaped and had a little metal mini fan inside that turned once the heat from the old type Christmas lights got hot enough to make them spin.

Those ornaments and her bubble lights, lights that looked like candles in a holder but the had liquid in them when and when they warmed up the liquid bubbled, stand out in my memory because the ornaments held places of honor on the tree and the lights decorated the fireplace mantle every year.

Unfortunately mom is gone (13 years Thanksgiving Day) and my Step-father disposed of the ornaments and lights before I could ask for them.

Does anyone know where I might be able to find replacements for these things? I mean, I of course would know they weren't moms' but it would be nice to honor her memory this way.

Thanks In Advance for any help.
Old 10-29-2004, 06:44 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hi! I too,loved the bubble lights when I was growing up . My dad always had them. I found bubble lights at Meijer...a store in the northern areas...Mi.,Ohio and Ky.also, and not sure where else. ( Meijer.com)Also a couple of websights have bubble lights or bubble nightlights.... Bronners.com and Gooseberrypatch.com As for the other tree decorations with fans,I have never seen those. Hopefully this will help you to at least find something to remind you of your mom I KNOW how important it is to have those reminders I lost my mom when I was 19 and just lost my dad 4 months ago.....so I too,am looking for lights and ornaments like they used Good luck and let me know if you succeed in finding what you want.

ELaine

David's wife Elaine

Old 10-29-2004, 07:50 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I liked those bubble lights too. I was able to find them at Wal mart last year after Christmas on clearance so I will have them ready for my tree this year. I also found them at Big Lots ( if there is one in your area) Hope this helps. I just love decorating for Christmas.
Old 10-29-2004, 07:58 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Ooh, I love bubble lights! I've found them at K-Mart, and I think Wal-Mart carries 'em, too. They're kind of pricey, but a few of them really make a tree special, and who puts a price on memories, anyway?
Old 10-29-2004, 08:27 AM
Head Moderator

The little heat spinner ornament you are talking about.... I still have mine that belonged to my grandmother and great aunt, but have bought some more; found them at Cracker Barrel . Hopefully you have one near you; they are all over. It is a restaurant that has a unique gift shop. I paid $1.99 for them last year. You might also try [url]www.vermontcountrystore

The bubble lights have come back into popularity, most discount stores havethem nowadays, but when you see them get them because they disappear fast!

Good Luck!

Old 10-29-2004, 12:21 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Bubble Lights

I know that they have the bubble lights at Lowe's home centers because I was there today and was going to get some...

As for the ones with the fan, I have never seen them, but I am sure that you could ask someone in Lowe's and they might be able to direct you to the correct place.

Here in Massachusetts, we have stores that 'appear' in Malls and such each Christmas season, and I have seen the bubble lights in there as well.

Good luck on your quest!
Debi
Old 10-30-2004, 10:39 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Thank you everyone!

I found the bubble lights at Big Lots for $7.99 a box! Bought 3 of and it's well worth every penny!

I'm going to go to the nearest Cracker Barrel (a 45 min. drive!) this weekend in search of the spinner ornaments!

Thank you all so much!
Old 10-31-2004, 05:03 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi Disney Dell:
I too share in your memories of long ago Christmas's where bubble lights held a place of prominence on the tree. Aren't they beautiful? I'd thought these lights were gone by the wayside as so many old time Christmas traditions had gone.
A few years back, after taking a trip to Sacramento and meandering about Old Town, I came across a little shop filled with tons of Christmas items. To my surprise, lo and behold, there were my precious bubble lights. I was like a kid in a candy store, I was so excited to see them. However, my funds were very limited at the time...(I was in Sacramento with a group outing).
Two years ago, browsing through the Christmas section at Wal-Mart, I came across ....guess what? Yep! Bubble lights! They don't have the same 'quality' that the old time ones had. But then, they don't carry the extreme heat that the old ones gave out either. I bought two sets...and they were reasonably priced too. Check it out if you have a Wal-Mart in your town.
God bless and wishing you and yours a very happy holiday season.

Mary McLuckie
[email protected]
Old 11-01-2004, 11:29 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I have no idea what the bubble lights or the spinner lights are, but I sure had a lovely, nostalgic time reading your posts!
It really put me in a holiday mood. Thanks!

My FC Member Awards!
<hr height=3 color=green width=95%>

Honorary Members
Old 11-02-2004, 02:10 AM
Head Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by sunny_mom
I have no idea what the bubble lights or the spinner lights are, but I sure had a lovely, nostalgic time reading your posts!
It really put me in a holiday mood. Thanks!
If you go to

www.concentric.net/~Gashepar/blbulb.html

you will be able to see "bubble lights" these are just the lights themselves; they screw into a socket and make a string set of lights just like any other christmas lights. When these are turned on the little liquid filled part "bubbles". I'm still looking for a picture of the spinner ornament; if I find one I'll direct you to that site. You might even want some now!