Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Fun With Kids > Party Ideas > Children's Theme Parties

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
Old 01-14-2004, 09:34 AM
Friend of the Family

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
FamilyCorner Admirer

Rescue Heroes Ideas

My son has had a complete change of plans of what kind of birthday he wants....Dora to Rescue Heroes.

I found Rescue Heroes balloons and an edible image for the cake, and Fisher Price as free printable invitation/thank you cards but have not found anything else in the stores for this theme. I'm also looking all over for a Rescue Heroes long sleeved shirt in a size 4T. I've looked on line at at Wal-Mart with no luck.

Any ideas for party and decorations would be great!

Thanks!
Old 01-22-2004, 01:46 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Hi

Heres some ideas that I found for the Rescue Heros Theme:

Rescue Heroes Theme Party Supplies

Rescue Heroes Theme Party Supplies, Party Decorations, Favors,Tips and Ideas! If your child loves Rescue Heroes, Party Supplies by Vicki is the place for for all of your Rescue Heroes Theme Party Supplies and Party Decorations!

Fun Activities

Badges of Honor

Before guests arrive, cut out badges from construction paper. Provide the kids with stickers, extra paper, glue, scissors, glitter, markers, crayons, magazine pictures, etc., and encourage them to create their own special rescue hero badges. Hand out extra badges as favors during the party. When sticking them on the kids, honor them with special awards, such as the Biggest Smile, Best Behavior, Most Infectious Giggle or Best Team Player.

Rescue Heroes Training Course
Train your party guests to be the best rescue heroes they can be with this fun obstacle course!

Line the children up single file. Provide a rescue hero prop, such as a fire hat, for the kids to wear. One by one, each child runs through a series of obstacles. Some ideas: dig in the sandbox to rescue a buried doll, drive a toy car across the yard to an object which is erupting in orange posterboard flames, pretend to douse a fake fire with a garden hose, rescue a stuffed animal clothespinned to a tree, etc. Give each child an “official” Rescue Hero certificate after they finish!

Stick the Hard
Hat on the Rescue Hero Stick the Hard Hat on the Rescue Hero Your friendly rescue worker can’t respond to a crisis scene without his trusty hat. Help him by trying to stick his hat on the top of his head. Before the party, draw a rescue worker on poster board or butcher paper and hang it on the wall. Use construction paper to cut out a hat for each child. Cut a few extra in case of mishaps at the party. Put each child’s name on his or her hat, and just before it’s their turn, put a strip of double-sided tape on the back. Blindfold the first child, gently spin him or her around, and direct them toward the poster. The hat that ends up closest to the top of the rescue hero’s head, wins!

Note: It’s easy to alter this game for any rescue hero your child admires, such as “Stick the Fire Hat on the Fire Fighter,” “Pin the Badge on the Policeman,” or “Pin the Scuba Tanks on the Rescue Diver.”

Frisbee Challenge
Just as rescue heroes are faced with difficult new challenges every day, this game will put your guests to the test! First, stick two long sticks or dowels in the ground about 1 foot apart. (To play this game indoors, you can set the sticks in buckets of sand or dirt.) Use string or tape to mark a starting line about 10 ft away. Players stand at the line and try to roll a Frisbee between the sticks. Players get five chances each and the child who succeeds the most times wins!

Birthday Cake Mission
Gather your guests together to help the birthday child complete a mission to find the birthday cake and extinguish it’s flames!

To prepare for this activity, make 8-12 clue cards on individual 3x5 cards. Write the name of an object in your house or yard on each card (draw a picture for younger children). Write the clue number in the top left corner of each card. Hide the clues before the kids arrive, making sure that any theme-related party favors you’ve hidden with the clues are out of sight.

When it’s time to play, gather your party guests around, hand out the first clue to the birthday child and tell the kids to find the object on the card. For example, if the first card shows a dog house, the kids will go there and find a second clue card with a cookie jar on it. Then, they’ll go to the cookie jar and find a third clue card with another object on it, and so on.

The hunt continues until the children find the last card, with your name or picture on it. When the kids come running back to you, they’ll be delighted to see the birthday cake waiting for them!

Delectable Treats

Sandwich Pocket
Surprises Your little rescue heroes don’t have a lot of time to stop and eat as they rush to emergencies, and these tasty pocket meals can be eaten on the go!

Before the party, brown 1/2 lb. lean ground beef and 1/4 cup onion in a frying pan. Drain off the grease, and cool. Stir in a 12-oz. jar of pizza sauce, 2 Tbs. chopped olives, 1 tsp. dried, crushed basil, and 1/2 tsp. dried, crushed oregano. Slice 4 French rolls in half lengthwise and hollow out the insides within 1/2 in. of the edges. Sprinkle grated cheese into the bottom, spoon meat mixture over it, and sprinkle more cheese on top. Place the tops of the rolls back on, wrap each in foil, and bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes.

Serve warm and enjoy! (Makes 4 servings)

Celebration Punch
Help your little heroes celebrate their rescue efforts with this delicious drink! Mix apple or cranberry juice with lemon-lime soda in a large pitcher or punch bowl. Pour mixture into fancy plastic glasses and drop a strawberry or blueberry in each glass for fun!

Fire Hose Pretzels
Extinguish their hunger with these fun treats shaped just like fire hoses! To prepare, dissolve 2 Tbs. dry yeast in a cup of warm water; let stand for 15 min. Add 1 Tbs. honey, 2 2/3 cups flour, and 1 tsp. salt to the yeast mix. Knead until smooth. Let the dough rise for 10-15 min. in a warm location. Preheat oven to 425° F.

After dough has risen, divide it into quarters. Roll each section into a long rope and shape it into a coiled fire hose! Bake the pretzels on a foil-lined baking sheet at 425° F for 10 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve with mustard or melted cheese dip. (Makes 4 pretzels)

Note: If you have time, turn this into a party activity where guests coil their own hoses. Be sure to double or triple the recipe to provide enough for your guests!

Chewy Energy Pops
After going on rescue missions, you guests will need some extra energy! In a large saucepan (or microwave-safe container) melt 1/4 cup margarine and one 10-ounce package of miniature marshmallows over medium heat. Stir constantly, so the mixture does not burn. Slowly add 6 cups of your favorite crispy rice cereal, and mix until cereal is evenly coated. Remove the pan from the heat and add 1 cup of your favorite treat. Popular ideas are: small chocolate candies, butterscotch chips, peanuts, or raisins.

Spoon mixture into small paper cups (wax-lined cups prevent pops from sticking) and press lightly to fill. Insert a popsicle stick into each cup and press mixture again. Cool and refrigerate until party time. (Makes 12)

Cool Tropical Salad
This delicious fruit salad is refreshing after a hard day’s work (or play)! You’ll need 1 cup pineapple chunks, 1 cup mango chunks or melon balls, 1 cup diced papaya or fresh peaches; 2 cups vanilla yogurt, 1 cup sliced strawberries, and 4 sprigs fresh mint (optional). Combine pineapple with mango and papaya. Chill. Layer fruit alternately with yogurt in dessert cups. Top cups with yogurt and cover with sliced strawberries. Garnish each serving with a whole strawberry and a sprig of fresh mint. (Makes 4 servings)

Decorating Tips

Spread your tablecover on your party table. If your child has any theme-related toys, you can add them to the table for a more festive display. Cut several one-to-two-foot-long pieces of curling ribbon. Curl the ribbon by pulling it between your thumb and the blade of your scissors. Lay the resulting curls on your table for added color. Hang balloons in bunches for the best effect. If you choose to fill balloons with helium, wait until the party day to ensure they float well!

Use balloons to mark the party spot; hang them on the mailbox, near the front door, or tie them to the birthday child's chair to mark the seat of honor.

Place balloons anywhere that strikes your fancy. The more the better!

Gather six or eight streamers and attach them to the ceiling in the center of the party room (or over the table). Use a light fixture over the table, if you have one, as the center point for the streamers.

To create colorful two-tone streamers, put two differently colored streamers back-to-back, twist as you walk them to the wall, and attach at shoulder height.

Smile for the Camera!
Be sure to take lots of pictures. You and your child will want to remember this special party. A helpful hint: Order extra prints and send them to the parents afterward. Remember, it's not necessary to have everyone in each picture. Focus on small groups and avoid posing all the photos. Candids capture the laughter best!

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 01-22-2004, 01:48 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Another idea that I had that might make it easy on you for an activity would be to call your local fire dept. for a tour. I know that our fire dept. gives out tours to groups of kids and I think they give a goodie bag too.

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 01-22-2004, 01:51 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

This site has some decorations:

http://www.birthdayexpress.com/bexpr...asp?sku=E25521

Personally, I think I would head to Dollar Tree or somewhere like it and get red plates and napkins for a cheaper price. You could always use red, blue and yellow balloons too.

Im still looking for more ideas.

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 01-22-2004, 01:57 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Im assuming that youve already seen the Rescue Heros website since you mentioned the invitations but if not, here it is:

http://www.fisher-price.com/us/rescu...ault_flash.asp

They have some cute badges and awards that you can print out to.

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 01-22-2004, 01:58 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Im at a loss for the shirt unless you could find a long sleeve pajama top at WalMart, Target or Kmart.

Good Luck!! Let us know what youve decided to do.

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 01-30-2004, 08:39 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Try www.boscov.com
Old 01-30-2004, 10:19 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I've seen Rescue Heroe shirts and clothes at either Sears, Target, or Kohl's. I'm sorry I can't remember which one. I know they have a lot of Rescue Heroe things at Target, so I would try there first.

As far as additional decorating, it sounds like you have plenty of Resuce Heroe looking things, I would do what someone else suggested and top it off with red colored plates, silverware, et cetera.

I only have one other game to add to what the other person mentioned (that was awesome by the way, do you do kid's birthday parties?) Anyway, you could blow up your child's favorite Rescue Heroe on a large piece of posterboard and have the kids "Pin the badge on the Rescue Heroe". We did something like that at my son's Batman party (let me tell you, drawing a Batmobile is no easy task!) and everyone loved it.

Don't forget to have fun the day of!!
Old 02-05-2004, 12:17 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Pinkie Winky

I'm throwing the same type of party for my son, and found that the Family Dollar store was a bonanza. We found RH coloring books, and I bought each child a plastic fireman's hat to hold their goodies. We also found bags of miniature firemen and policemen and badges with walkie-talkies. As someone else mentioned both the fire department and the police department will give you goodie bags and may even schedule a visit or a tour. As for the decorations, it seems to always be cheaper to pick out the colors of the figures that are your son's favorites and use those. We went with red, white, and yellow because Billy Blazes is the hero of the moment.
Old 02-20-2004, 12:34 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Rescue Heroes edible image

Can anyone tell me where I can get a Rescue Hero edible image for a birthday cake. Someone told me they downloaded one that had all the characters and actually said Happy Birthday.

Thanks!ROFLMAO