Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 09-12-2003, 10:20 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Question New kid in town ideas?

Hello

We are moving from a big city to a tiny country town in the spring. I would like to plan a party for my dd to meet the kids in her new school. She will be attending grade 6/7.
The party will be at our home, to save costs and so I might be able to meet some parents as well (I will ask them to stay if they like). We will have a big yard and the party will probably be in June.

Any ideas? TIA

wildflower
Old 09-14-2003, 06:38 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I'm Sorry I don't have a theme in mind.
As for food and decorations I don't have a problem with that.

It will probably be coed, so I would like ideas on what to do to keep them busy and wanting more! ;-)

wildflower
Old 01-31-2011, 05:44 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I don't know how much my advice is going to help especially since this is an 8 yr late reply, but I was on the other-side of your quandary when I was younger, as my family moved from a well known hole in the wall town to a relatively big city of a state actually two cities in 6 month time period, and we weren't even military anymore). What I learned from my experience (and you are GREAT for wanting to make it easier on your dd during this time) is allow your dd to make friends with some of the local children first. Then within a weekend or two invite them over for a BBQ / picnic with yard games if weather permits, or multi-player games (twister, charades, 20/21 questions, monopoly, white elephant exchange (not just for the holiday's anymore), etc.) where inexpensive but fun prizes are given out (either home made, or symbolic to the game they won - the more creative the better), and something not to heavy to carry on the off chance their parent(s) wont be picking them to go home. Include fun finger foods - hot/corn dogs (build your own); pretzels; cookie decorating (I love this one any time of year); candy pieces (pinata is good for game and prizes in one); popcorn, etc. Let the children lead on the lead and control the party with you being the co-host / intervention when necessary. Also, and I probably should have mentioned this first, be mindful of the community you are moving in to... so families may look like they have more/less than they really do - because either social status or local government regulates the environment. An example of this is my dh is use to living where the sidewalks parallel the road, and you can see a few to a group of people on them at all hours of the day, where we live now - "a" sidewalk might exist, people do not congregate on the sidewalk to "hang-out," and most of the local (non-chain) business close-up at dusk / before mid-night (chain stores)/ before 2am (bars and movie theaters), that is until summer when they might be open an hour or two longer. There aren't a lot of street lights and signal lights are far and few between (outside of residential areas), they enforce the speed-limit (unless you are driving slower than what's posted - farm equipment excluded), and most of their food comes from local farmers (don't underestimate your market butcher...he could be your neighbor). Some children actually do have chores to do before homework, and homework before play. Utilities: phone (any type), satellite/cable, sewer, water, oil/gas, electric may not operate as smoothly as you are a costume to (I find it makes one actually stop and smell the per-verbally flower), but it might also work just as good if not better than what you had in the city... Personally I like the slower pace in life (except during the school season). :-)
If you see someone in need of help and you can do something, then do something — that goes for people and animals. If you can help out, try. That’s what I hope people take away from this.” -Alex Scroggins
Old 03-18-2013, 02:18 AM
Head Moderator

bump

When I was young we used to go "skinny dipping"; now we just "chunky dunk"

“The value of doing something does not lie in the ease or difficulty, the probability or improbability of its achievement, but in the vision, the plan, the determination and the perseverance, the effort and the struggle which go into the project. Life is enriched by aspiration and effort, rather than by acquisition and accumulation.”

― Helen Nearing, The Good Life