Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 10-08-2002, 04:12 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Question preteen party

HI, I'm looking for game/activity ideas for my dd's upcoming 11th birthday party. We've established that it's going to be a slumber party, Hawaiian theme. I am on a very strict budget, looking for very cheap goodie bags, decorations, etc., but also for activities that aren't too "babyish" for my ever-so-quickly growing girl. Also any suggestions for a movie to rent? I've heard of Elvis' Blue Hawaii (never saw it), wondering about other Hawaii-theme movies...
I'm hesitant to plan anything outdoors, because the year I did the incredible Harry Potter Treasure Hunt in the backyard, it poured (November in SF, it's iffy...)
Thanks for any ideas!
Alison
Old 10-11-2002, 09:11 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi Alison,

I'm not sure how creative this is, but could just plan to have a luao, indoors or out, depending on weather, and have all the girls dress in a hawaiian shirt or something, then get some grass skirts and lais (not sure where?) and give them to wear when they get to the party. Get a CD of Hawaiian music and they can dance around inside or out, and watch the Elvis movie.
Old 10-12-2002, 12:38 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I love the grass skirt and lei idea. If you are crafty you can help the girls make their own. It would be so much fun.

Do they make green garbage bags that you could cut up to make the grass skirts? Tissue flowers are pretty enough for flowers in the hair as well as in the lei.

You might be able to find a video or a book that teaches the hulla and shows how they tell stories with their hands, at your library. Then the girls could learn the hand language and make up stories to go with their dancing.

Relax and have lots of fun with a house full of giggly 11 yr olds!

Love & Prayers,
Linda
May God give you for every storm, a rainbow, for every tear, a smile, for every care, a promise, and blessing in each trial, for every problem life sends, a faithful friend to share, for every sigh, a sweet song, and an answer for each prayer.
~An Irish Blessing
Old 10-12-2002, 12:45 PM
FamilyCorner Admirer

go to www.orientaltrading.com . they have stuff there for goodie bags and everything and there cheap. plus you can get ideas from there.
Old 10-12-2002, 02:13 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

As far as a movie goes, my dd is 11 and she and her friends love Miss Congeniality no matter how many times they watch it, its not the same as your theme but....and for a game, my dd and her friends have been real into "supervised" scavenger hunts, like in your neighborhood, go with them and have them go as a group to the door with a list, where you can be seen in the street...and have them ask for silly things, like a used egg shell, dirty paper towel, old gum, spoon of sugar, etc. Even the boys like this. The sillier/gross-er the better! Have fun.
Old 10-12-2002, 02:20 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hi
My daughter just went to a friend's b-day party and they went on a scavenger hunt. It was Harry Potter themed so on their lists there were some items that they wouldn't be able to get; eye of newt, truth potion, sorcerer stone. They were put into groups of two or more and went up and down the street asking for the items. They had 20 minutes to get as many items as they could. They could get only one item from each house. Each team had a baggie as one item so they could carry the rest in it. These were 11 year olds and my daughter thought it was great. They also played twister and did the limbo. Hope this helps.

Old 10-13-2002, 12:53 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Party ideas

www.makingfriends.com has many craft ideas that would be fun at a party for this age. I'm thinking of homemade party glitter, sunglass holders, sandle key chains, lipstick holders.
Good luck and take lots of pictures.
Sue
Old 10-13-2002, 12:55 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Party ideas

opps, that was suppost to be body glitter, not party glitter. I have others talking to me as I type!
Sue
Old 10-18-2002, 04:18 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

b'day party

hi alison,
how about the movie the princess diary? it was great . ida
Old 10-18-2002, 10:54 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I just popped to the oriental.com site mentioned above and came across the Luau page and thought I would post the direct link to it here. Thankyou peanut, it is a great site!

http://www.oriental.com/webapp/comme...All=&shop=luau