Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 09-01-2002, 07:47 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Just Moved Birthday Party

I'm wondering if anyone can give me any ideas or help me out. We're moving into our new house on October 1st, and my son's fourth birthday is October 8th.

I'm SURE most of our stuff will still be in boxes on the 8th, we may not even have the furniture in place yet, but I'd love to have a special party for my son. It's been a really tough year for him (and all of us) -- I had a miscarriage this summer, we moved across the country several weeks ago, and right now we're living with friends while we wait to close on our house.

Do any of you creative folks think it would be possible to use all the boxes and the disorder as part of some kind of theme (not quite sure exactly WHAT kind), or would it be smarter to just resign myself and take all the kids to Chuck E Cheese or something (I suppose there's always next year for a special party)?

What would you guys do? I appreciate any advice.
Old 09-08-2002, 05:23 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Unles you are planning on taking the boxes and make a maze out of your house, I would rethink your decision. Being that your son is only 4, I think you should just bite the bullet and go to chuckie cheese or the equivalant. We had a simillar thing happen to us. We were set to move on Sept 1 and my son's bday was the end of Aug. I felt bad that we didn't have a party at the house, but it was so much easier and people were much more comfortable doing it that way. Your son will be thrilled no matter where you have his party. Save the stress for some other birthday party. Have it where you think it will be easier now, for when he gets older, the parties will become more demanding and more difficult. (I mean all of that very lighthearted). Best of luck with your move.
Old 09-08-2002, 08:34 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Kids love to unpack boxes. I'd have the b'day party at the house, let the kids help your son unpack and arrange his room. I know when we moved, teenaged daughter and 7 yr. old, they thought it was great fun to help and this house was in perfect order in a few days! Helping your son unpack would make the children a part of his life and they would see what great toys he has and want to come back to play!
When we moved this last time, back into the original home I bought in 1975, which I'd moved out of in 1984 and rented for 12 years, then moved back, my granddaughter was not here for the first move. She was 10 in 1996. She loved helping me "decorate" the guest room and then considered it "her room". Although she did not live with us, when we had other guests in there, we'd ask her permission to use it. So cute! Kids do want to feel important and making them a part of the move is a good way to do that. Let us know what you do for the b'day party.
Old 09-08-2002, 01:03 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

This actually happened to us just last month! DD turned 8 on August 16th, and we were moving August 24th!! She wanted a luau theme (ala Lilo and Stitch), so we used the stacks of already packed boxes as "castaway" decor.....got a couple of cheapie fish nets from the party store and draped them over the boxes, attached some shells, starfish, etc. It ended up working really nicely with the theme, and no one really mentioned the fact that there were so many boxes around!! Hope this helps!! (BTW, I did seriously consider Chuck E Cheese but opted to go with the home-grown party instead).

- Henry Rowland
Old 09-08-2002, 04:10 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

birthday party

you don't need the stress,go to Chucky's or bowling or whatever else would be in your area for fun
Old 09-09-2002, 05:13 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

blushing SPECIAL Parties

Hi There: Just thought I'd share my experience with my daughter. She is now 25. When she was about the same age as your son, we did a party at the local Pizza Hut. It was more a "grown-up" party than a "little Kid" party. We took LOTS of pictures and they had a blast. There were video games there as well, so it was still child oriented. We also made sure the kids knew to bring change for the games so the expense didn't get too outrageous. It is still one of her fondest memories of BDay parties. I am not sure why you think going to the Chucky Cheese wouldn't be special? You are hiring a restaurant just for him, you are paying a fortune for his friends to attend and since you're out, the time is devoted COMPLETELY to him! Sounds pretty special to me. You didn't say if you are moving some distance away from his friends, if so this might be a last time together party as well? Perhaps you should let him pick the restaurant. Having done several moves and MANY theme parties for my daughter, if it were me, I would say "You know, you are more important than finishing the unpacking and we will take the day just for you somewhere you want to be." Besides I think I would be overwhelmed if I had packing boxes and party mess in the same house. LOL Good luck and have fun.
Old 09-13-2002, 07:41 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Four is the perfect age for a train theme party. Attach four paperplate wheels to a box for each little party guest and let them decorate thier individual train car with markers, stickers etc. You can make tracks on the floor with tape. Invitations can be made to look like a train ticket. Suggest that they wear overalls and give them each a bandanna. Have fun and good luck with your move!
Old 09-13-2002, 02:21 PM

I agree with Carmen and Blondie; have the party at home. Lay out a blanket on the living room floor and serve hot dogs and chips or pizza. The parties at the pizza places are so expensive, I usually wait until they're older. But no matter what you do--he will love it!
Old 10-07-2002, 06:09 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Would love to hear what you decided to do!
Old 10-08-2002, 07:46 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Happy Birthday to Banjomom's son!!!!!