Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 06-04-2002, 08:51 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thomas the Tank Engine party

My to-be-three-year-old son is wild about trains and has requested a Thomas the Tank Engine party for July. I'm sure other people have done a Thomas party before. Does anybody have any good ideas? I especially need ideas for the cake. Thanks, Julia
Old 06-04-2002, 09:13 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

When my ds turned 3 we had a Thomas Cake. I made it, one of my first - I stacked strips of a 8x8 square to make the engine (I would reccommend using a loaf pan to reduce cut edges). I had the colors right (which was all my son really cared about!), but it was one of my first so not my best.

I've seen cakes where they made the whole train using the same idea - but thats a lot of work & a lot of cake!

If you aren't making the cake or want it easier - use a coloring book picture for a guide to draw it on a sheet cake. They normally are fairly simple pictures & work well for us limited artists.
Old 06-07-2002, 06:57 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Being a mother that sees all these beautiful cakes in magazines, but not being talented enough to make them , I've found that it's easy to purchase a cake with plain icing (or you could have the bakery add a train track, etc.) and then just put little Thomas toys on it. I've done this with several of our themes and the girls loved it. And they get to keep the toys, which they think is wonderful!
Old 06-07-2002, 07:09 AM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi, I'm Kimberly and I'm brand new to these boards. A friend sent me a link - I've been looking around and thought this was a great place to start - I'm an event planner and became a consultant for a party supply home based business. To follow are some of the party tips we have for a great Thomas the Tank Engine Party. I have a caterer and a cake lady that I work with that I usually leave the cake up to but I do know that most of the Bakeries, Wal-Mart, Kroger, Publix, etc. have cute Thomas cakes (I saw them when I was looking for ideas for my 2 year old's Bob the Builder party

Enjoy!

All aboard - to the best celebration of all! Every little boy dreams of trains. All the station master needs is some of these cute centerpiece, banners and cutouts. Add lots of balloon and crepe streamers to climb aboard for a fun ride. Make sure the guest of honor has his very own conductors hat and bandana. Greet all your passengers with their very own train whistle. Britt Allcroft (Thomas) Limited 2001.

Crooked Tracks

Draw a crooked line on the floor with chalk. It's "train tracks ". The object of the players is to walk along the"train tracks " looking at it through binoculars turned upside down. The player who walks the "train track" the fastest is the winner.

Pass the Whistle

Everyone sits in a circle and passes the whistle from one person to the next. Someone calls time or stops the music
and the person left holding the whistle is out. Continue until there is only one person left.

Choo Choowey Fudge Brownies

1/4 cup butter

6 oz. pkg. semisweet chocolate
chips

3/4 cup of sugar

2/3 cups of all purpose flour

1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

1/4 tsp. baking powder

1/4 tsp. salt

2 eggs

1/2 cup chopped nuts

Heat oven to 350 degrees.
Grease the bottom only of a square pan, 8x8x2 inches, with shortening. Heat butter and chocolate chips in a saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly, until melted; remove from heat. Stir in nuts. Bake until the center is set, about 30 minutes. Let brownies cool completely, then cut.
Makes 20 brownies.

Siderail Salad

1 cup mandarin oranges, drained

1 (8oz) can chunk pineapple

1 cup sour cream

1 cup coconut

1 cup miniature marshmallows
Drain oranges and pineapple. Mix sour cream, coconut and marshmallows. Fold in drained fruits and mix. Set in refrigerator several hours before serving

HoBo Chicken Soup

2 chicken breasts

1 cup sliced carrots

1 cup celery

1 box dry chicken soup

1 cup egg noodles
Cook first 3 ingredients until done. Remove chicken and dice. Add soup mix and noodles. Cook until noodles are tender. Add chicken and remove from heat.

Let's Party!